5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   Press Articles & Your Comments (https://5series.net/forums/press-articles-your-comments-6/)
-   -   iDrive Described As the: (https://5series.net/forums/press-articles-your-comments-6/idrive-described-40447/)

ExGMan 05-23-2007 02:26 PM

A full-page item by James Surowiecki in The New Yorker magazine dated 5/28/2007 regarding the proliferation of possibly-less-than-useful features in modern devices describes BMW's "original iDrive system" as "arguably the biggest corporate disaster' since New Coke." The article slams not BMW, but the proliferation of easily-integrated features in modern products, many of which (in the opinion of the author) seem to be not useful. See the whole article here: http://www.newyorker.com/talk/financial/20...talk_surowiecki

enzo89 05-23-2007 02:47 PM

:mad:

This is getting old. iDrive works the way it is intended, and it's easy to use....if you have patience and intelligence. It works, people just like to make statements about how complicated it is, because of how lazy they are. If iDrive was such a disaster, why have merc and audi both developed and released their own systems after seeing the reviews of the original iDrive system.

lovinthe545 05-23-2007 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by enzo89' post='427690' date='May 23 2007, 05:47 PM
This is getting old. iDrive works the way it is intended, and it's easy to use....if you have patience and intelligence. It works, people just like to make statements about how complicated it is, because of how lazy they are. If iDrive was such a disaster, why have merc and audi both developed and released their own systems after seeing the reviews of the original iDrive system.

I don't get it, I love i drive! And there is so many possibilities for it too. I don't get why people talk trash????

tom_hou 05-23-2007 02:58 PM

It seems to me that the skills that might make someone a good writer are not necessarily those that would make someone good with technical things. I'm an engineer by training, and I find iDrive to be excellent. Also, the comments about iDrive seldom include the voice commands, which are part of the package.

That said, it took a few days of using it to get competent, and after a year, I'm still learning better ways to use iDrive and voice commands. The whole system lets you adjust controls with minimal interference in highway driving -- probably the design basis BMW had in mind....

rtl2 05-23-2007 03:35 PM

I agree...I love the I-drive. It took a day or two to become proficient (during which I did a lot of swerving in and out of lanes which manipulating the radio/climate/navigation), but now it is like 2nd nature.

I have not been using mine for long (about 1 month now), so I would LOVE to hear some of the more efficient uses that the pros at e60.net are using. Would there be any utility (I know there would be for me) to starting a new discussion section where I-drive/voice command tips could be posted?

Admittedly, I didn't look very hard for such a string already, but I'll do so now.

Hopco 05-23-2007 04:06 PM

I have been using computers at work (and more recently at home) since 1962 when I took a course in programing the IBM 709 (8k core memory and Tubes!)

Clearly the iDrive, or something like it, is the only way to control the multitude of systems in the modern automobile - and more are on the way as manufacturers attempt to get an edge in the marketplace.

I took me about three months to become really comfortable with the iDrive - but now I like the control it gives me - and wish for even more, i.e. an iDrive choice to put the headlights on when the wipers are in use.

Nevertheless, I think BMW could have gone to school to improve the design of their menu structure. Better yet, hire the master of design, Apple, to improve the menus!

pharding 05-23-2007 04:06 PM

I have used the I-Drive for three years and I am baffled that some journalists are not bright enough to comfortably use it. The I-Drive takes all of a few hours to fully master. I much prefer the I-Drive to the button clutter of Mercedes Benz. I ordered another BMW 5 er because of my high level satisfaction of with the car including the I-Drive.

fjwagner 05-23-2007 04:23 PM

My take is that most journalists spend an hour in the car and are completely baffled by idrive. I felt fairly comfortable within a few days and think it is great. They just do not have enough time to get to the point where we are at. Plus they may be only able to use a word processer:) I can change door lock settings, quickly manipulate the radio etc with relatively ease; all with an uncluttered dash. See GM if you want a cluttered system in front of you.

jet190rs 05-23-2007 04:38 PM

all the chicks dig iDrive though ;)

hmc 05-23-2007 04:40 PM

iDrive is not disaster. It's not great either. User Interface (menu structure) could be more intuitive.

Felix 05-23-2007 04:53 PM

Clearly I-Drive is the way to go. One single button/knob that controls a multitude of functions. I love the fact that once you become familiar with it you almost don't have to take your eyes off the road while using it. IMO people who complain about it are simply too lazy or lack the patience to familiarize themselves with the device and the menues. As long as the frequently used functions are easy to reach with a few movements of the knob, I don't mind if rarely used settings are buried a little deeper. Anyway, such items are not meant to be accessed while driving. It is still a lot easier to change settings via a nice menu than pulling fuses and using a certain sequence of turn signals and other controls just to change the door lock settings as it was the case on a Pontiac Grand Prix that I owned.

Sure, there is always room for improvement, like menue structure etc. E.g. the introduction of a limited number of programmable buttons seems to be a good idea (probably just a matter of time until the journalists start complaining about that).

And, as rtl2 mentioned, if one really can not figure it out, one can still use voice command. But then one would have to learn the commands...

I love the I-Drive, the more control the better.

Roleez 05-23-2007 05:26 PM

iDrive may have its good and bad points, but overall, it's a great interface. I admit that it could do without the extra menus when trying to simply change a radio station or CD#. But then again, there's a quick alternate: voice command. Then of course there are those who would rather have a button to press without consuming too much time toggling through a few menus or waiting for the voice command to beep and wait for your response. Regardless, iDrive is a great feature that I believe is getting pounded on by those who aren't quite computer literate. And I still find it odd that those who've tried the iDrive copycat in a Benz (COMAND) find that interface more intuitive despite the fact that it contains WAY MORE menus vs. BMW's. Go figure.

swajames 05-23-2007 05:54 PM

As a concept, iDrive is undoubtedly the right way to go and BMW deserves credit for having the balls to do it first. In execution, however, both BMW's software and (most specifically) its user interface are utterly appalling. In my opinion, other manufacturers (most specifically Audi, Mercedes and Jaguar with their latest flash-based interface) do indeed do it better. It's got nothing at all to do with being computer or IT literate - the issue is that it's simply a third rate implementation of a first rate idea, and BMW needs to do better.

info@trinityautosport 05-23-2007 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Felix' post='427717' date='May 23 2007, 05:53 PM
Clearly I-Drive is the way to go. One single button/knob that controls a multitude of functions. I love the fact that once you become familiar with it you almost don't have to take your eyes off the road while using it.

I love the I-Drive, the more control the better.

+1. i mastered it probably after 2 to 3 days. just one knob/one button... its easy and i love it.

CWG 05-24-2007 12:45 AM

I have about 250 mile on the 08 550i and am still learning the idrive, but had to chime in that I don't really see what all the fuss is about. I am sure after a little more playing with it I will be very comfortable with it, and I am enjoying using it at this point

MacSid 05-24-2007 01:18 AM

I LOVE I-Drive, and agree with all the comments re:
- it is definitely the only way to efficiently control so many systems
- BMW is certainly ahead of time with the concept and the improvements that have been made (and those which surely will continue to come)
- the concept is certainly being copied by other manufacturers

It does do a lot for you, and all it takes is about an hour or two with the manual, plus a little exploring and experimenting, to learn what it can do for you and how to get it to do all that stuff. I think the auto journalists are doing a serious injustice to the benefits of the system simpy because they have neither the interest nor the time to (a) learn about the thing and (b) actually use it in practice over a period of time. That knob's a mouse, just like the one on our desks, and just as easy to use ... if one bothers to use it!

It could be made a little more intuitive, perhaps, but you could argue how much intuitiveness is related to plain old familiarity with where things are. It could also have more depth to the menus and options than it currently does. On the whole, though, I'd rather have it, than not.

MacSid

bmw093 05-24-2007 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by enzo89' post='427690' date='May 23 2007, 05:47 PM

+100% I purchased with lots of doubt, and have loved every second of the thing. You just have to take the time to learn it, and it becomes second nature. It's like using a mouse over function keys--a no brainer. Besides, who wants buttons all over the car, hidden in corner spots or littering a dashboard, or in the case of the Lexus GS, both. I drive is the solution, not the problem.

rayray06 05-24-2007 05:41 AM

Many scrutinized the computer for various reasons because it was unfamiliar to them and they shunned the idea of learning something new. Others said the computer would take over and rule the world making life harder. Fast forward to where the computer is today. The computer is a user interface that process several functions at speeds no human can compete with, but it requires human interaction of the interface with machine. Taking this into consideration one has to adapt to the technology of the times while understanding the simplicity of what it controls. I will agree that some techno stuff are a bit too complicated to grasp at first glance, what BMW did was take all those buttons that clustered the dash and centralized it into an interface that allowed the driver to safely focus on the road while driving their "ULTIMATE" machine. If those people who hate i-drive so much would take the time to familiarize themselves with its functions before they set out to drive, then the simplicity of moving a knob up, down. left, right, and even pushing down, would be less of a headache than trying to understand it while driving. The concept of i-drive should not be confused with the issues of an operating system. I-drive functions were well thought out by the engineers at BMW, just pay attention to the many auto makers adapting to this concept.

judahzlion 05-24-2007 06:17 AM

I wish there is even more to iDrive than current function. I wish we have a way to add, remove, modify the user interface as we like as well as enable or disable some interfaces without going back to the dealer. I work in Cellular phone design company where we debate what functions to give end users including Re-flashing OS simply by downloading latest release through secured website. So far we have received Very few claims or complaints on updating.
This article undermines users intelligence.

550isport 05-24-2007 06:22 AM

I like i-drive. My only complaint is that it could be a bit faster. But the one thing I absolutely love about it (and didn't realize until I drove in my car as a passenger) is that it acts as quite a litmus test.

Example: Someone who has the reflexes, eyesight and focused attention to drive @ 50% over the posted speed limits, in town and on the highway, will have that much extra ability in reserve when they slow down to use the i-drive. However, drivers who don't have any extra ability in reserve are very challenged when they try to drive and use i-drive simultaneously. So, it is in a way, a test of your mental capacities as a driver. I had to have a rim repaired last week as a result of someone failing that test....

DRP

Rudy 05-24-2007 06:25 AM

I think the article linked in post #1 is fairly accurate in it's assessment of iDrive. Keep in mind that they are referring to the original iDrive that was introduced in the 7 Series. The iDrive that we all know and love is not the same system -- ours is revised and refined. Also, keep in mind that the article isn't slamming iDrive as a concept, it's describing how it was received by the consumer back when it was introduced.

We have to admit that the original iDrive was pretty much a disaster for BMW. They had to buy back many 7 Series cars (never a good thing) due to customer complaints (not journalist complaints) and the overall perception was that iDrive was too complex, etc. The journalists jumped on the bandwagon and, unfortunately, perception became reality. I personally know a long-time BMW 7 Series owner who gave back his iDrive equipped car and left the marque. He now feels that he'll never buy another BMW if it has iDrive. It's not a matter of whether the guy was tech savvy or not (he's not) and it's not a matter of whether the guy gave it enough time to learn how to use it. It's simply a matter of consumer perception. Just like the "new Coke" disaster, this perception hurt BMW in sales and to this day, clueless journalists still bash iDrive because of what happened in the beginning.

I give BMW a tremendous amount of credit for not only being bold enough to be the first to offer this sort of interface but also for sticking with the concept and not bailing out of it went things got ugly. Most of us agree that it's the way to go forward as cars become more complex and more digital. Obviously, the other manufacturers agree -- they're all moving that direction as well. As much as I like iDrive, I have to agree that it can be refined even more. I've spent some extended time in the new S-Class and there are things they've done that are better than BMW but there are clearly some things they've done that are worse...

Will the consumer ever get past the perception that iDrive sucks? Yes, in time. Will my friend ever go back to driving a 7? Probably, since the alternatives from other manufacturers are going to have similar controls, etc. The problem is that BMW lost that customer for a car or two (maybe 6-10 years.) Multiply that over many more people who've either left the marque or decided not to buy the marque and you have a disaster from a business standpoint -- exactly what the article is referring to.

markt540i 05-24-2007 09:44 AM

I like I-drive on my 550 and have no problem with operating it. It did not take long to get used to it. However, the I-drive in my Dad's 750 is not as easy for me to operate and is frustrating to me. It is significantly different than the I-drive in the 5 series. I suppose more time with it would make it easier to use, but it has been frustrating to go from my car to his and try to use it.

JetBlack5OC 05-24-2007 08:39 PM

idrive is just fine. Thats why BMW keep putting them in all their new cars. How hard is it to turn and push a knob to navigate a screen. Its a joke that people just don't get it.