Press Articles & Your Comments Post links to 5 Series related magazine articles along with your commentary.

iDrive Described As the:

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 02:26 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530Xi - Navigation, Premium package, Steptronic.

A full-page item by James Surowiecki in The New Yorker magazine dated 5/28/2007 regarding the proliferation of possibly-less-than-useful features in modern devices describes BMW's "original iDrive system" as "arguably the biggest corporate disaster' since New Coke." The article slams not BMW, but the proliferation of easily-integrated features in modern products, many of which (in the opinion of the author) seem to be not useful. See the whole article here: http://www.newyorker.com/talk/financial/20...talk_surowiecki
Old 05-23-2007, 02:47 PM
Members

This is getting old. iDrive works the way it is intended, and it's easy to use....if you have patience and intelligence. It works, people just like to make statements about how complicated it is, because of how lazy they are. If iDrive was such a disaster, why have merc and audi both developed and released their own systems after seeing the reviews of the original iDrive system.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:55 PM
Members

Originally Posted by enzo89' post='427690' date='May 23 2007, 05:47 PM

This is getting old. iDrive works the way it is intended, and it's easy to use....if you have patience and intelligence. It works, people just like to make statements about how complicated it is, because of how lazy they are. If iDrive was such a disaster, why have merc and audi both developed and released their own systems after seeing the reviews of the original iDrive system.

I don't get it, I love i drive! And there is so many possibilities for it too. I don't get why people talk trash????
Old 05-23-2007, 02:58 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530 Steptronic, Nav, Std Audio w/ single CD, Premium Pkg, BMW Assist, non-working Bluetooth

It seems to me that the skills that might make someone a good writer are not necessarily those that would make someone good with technical things. I'm an engineer by training, and I find iDrive to be excellent. Also, the comments about iDrive seldom include the voice commands, which are part of the package.

That said, it took a few days of using it to get competent, and after a year, I'm still learning better ways to use iDrive and voice commands. The whole system lets you adjust controls with minimal interference in highway driving -- probably the design basis BMW had in mind....
Old 05-23-2007, 03:35 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi - Black Sapphire Metalic, Black Leather Premium package, Navigaation, Cold weather package, Satellite Radio, Rear fold-down seats. My First BMW, and the greatest car I've ever driven.

I agree...I love the I-drive. It took a day or two to become proficient (during which I did a lot of swerving in and out of lanes which manipulating the radio/climate/navigation), but now it is like 2nd nature.

I have not been using mine for long (about 1 month now), so I would LOVE to hear some of the more efficient uses that the pros at e60.net are using. Would there be any utility (I know there would be for me) to starting a new discussion section where I-drive/voice command tips could be posted?

Admittedly, I didn't look very hard for such a string already, but I'll do so now.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535ixT � On Order: 2010 E61, Ordered 1/05, Est. Birth 3/09, Est. Delivery 4/09, Carbon Black, Cream Beige Dakota Leather, Steptronic, M-Sport Pkg., Type 135 18
Model Year: 2010

I have been using computers at work (and more recently at home) since 1962 when I took a course in programing the IBM 709 (8k core memory and Tubes!)

Clearly the iDrive, or something like it, is the only way to control the multitude of systems in the modern automobile - and more are on the way as manufacturers attempt to get an edge in the marketplace.

I took me about three months to become really comfortable with the iDrive - but now I like the control it gives me - and wish for even more, i.e. an iDrive choice to put the headlights on when the wipers are in use.

Nevertheless, I think BMW could have gone to school to improve the design of their menu structure. Better yet, hire the master of design, Apple, to improve the menus!
Old 05-23-2007, 04:06 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

I have used the I-Drive for three years and I am baffled that some journalists are not bright enough to comfortably use it. The I-Drive takes all of a few hours to fully master. I much prefer the I-Drive to the button clutter of Mercedes Benz. I ordered another BMW 5 er because of my high level satisfaction of with the car including the I-Drive.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:23 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i, 1995 318ic retired circa 1970 2002, , circa 1985 320, 1998 528i, 1998 740i

My take is that most journalists spend an hour in the car and are completely baffled by idrive. I felt fairly comfortable within a few days and think it is great. They just do not have enough time to get to the point where we are at. Plus they may be only able to use a word processer I can change door lock settings, quickly manipulate the radio etc with relatively ease; all with an uncluttered dash. See GM if you want a cluttered system in front of you.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:38 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

all the chicks dig iDrive though
Old 05-23-2007, 04:40 PM
hmc
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i Sport Pkg, 6MT

iDrive is not disaster. It's not great either. User Interface (menu structure) could be more intuitive.

Quick Reply: iDrive Described As the: