Press Articles & Your Comments Post links to 5 Series related magazine articles along with your commentary.

Does this guy bug you?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 11:08 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by big_ipaq' post='356914' date='Nov 17 2006, 01:03 AM
Have you even bothered to watch the M5 review above? Or read the transcript I posted?

Boring? I would say "world of motoring perfection". Don't say something if you have nothing to say.

Please excuse me sir but i will say whatever i want, considering i'm entitled in my own opinion and this time you can't do anything about it

No i didn't bother tor ead the transcript, watched the episod like a zilion times and i find it pure show and a conflict of ideeas. It's childish to think that when you push the "magical button" it becomes the very best and when not pushed it's one of the worst. I like way more the review from Tiff Neddle. Straight on about the car, tell me in the face what's truly annoying and what's not, tell me in the face what you like or not being as objective as possible and after a considerable acomodation with the car. That's the duty of any good and real man that tests cars as his job.
Old 11-18-2006, 11:19 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='357686' date='Nov 18 2006, 10:08 PM

Please excuse me sir but i will say whatever i want, considering i'm entitled in my own opinion and this time you can't do anything about it

No i didn't bother tor ead the transcript, watched the episod like a zilion times and i find it pure show and a conflict of ideeas. It's childish to think that when you push the "magical button" it becomes the very best and when not pushed it's one of the worst. I like way more the review from Tiff Neddle. Straight on about the car, tell me in the face what's truly annoying and what's not, tell me in the face what you like or not being as objective as possible and after a considerable acomodation with the car. That's the duty of any good and real man that tests cars as his job.
I agree but, don't forget, It's only a show
Old 11-18-2006, 11:26 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nicke60gre' post='357690' date='Nov 19 2006, 12:19 AM
I agree but, don't forget, It's only a show
Indeed it is...it's just what i've said.

And still....i find the E60 to be one of the most beautiful cars in the world...i just love every inch of it and i love even more the m5 which has the best looks (apart from the lil suv looks we discussed some time ago) meaning that some lowering will make it just perfect, like ticking the perfection box and he says it's one of the ugliest, regarding the M button being pressed or not! Right....
Old 11-18-2006, 11:37 AM
Senior Members

That's the whole trick IMHO and I am amazed you did not got it. He badly needed to say something wrong to be able to say something good. And the negative he says, are clearly childish. For example, it should be obviously that satnav woman should not talk if you did not set any destination. TO EVERYONE. Why did he set a destination if he did not like to hear her? Why not cancel navigation, not to mention mute it. So, being so obvious, for me it is clearly he found a very-evident-to-everyone-and-totally-false-problems, just to be able to contrast with the positives. Which happen to be very real.

Think about it, more than scratching the surface.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:25 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by big_ipaq' post='357695' date='Nov 19 2006, 12:37 AM
That's the whole trick IMHO and I am amazed you did not got it. He badly needed to say something wrong to be able to say something good. And the negative he says, are clearly childish. For example, it should be obviously that satnav woman should not talk if you did not set any destination. TO EVERYONE. Why did he set a destination if he did not like to hear her? Why not cancel navigation, not to mention mute it. So, being so obvious, for me it is clearly he found a very-evident-to-everyone-and-totally-false-problems, just to be able to contrast with the positives. Which happen to be very real.

Think about it, more than scratching the surface.
I got your point of view, and i understand what you say, although i hardly can find the logic. I know pshichologicly it will have a bigger impact, but i found that he doesn't need to find those wrong things on purpose to simply praise a car. Why didn't he do it then when it comes to aston martin db9 or let alone the more recent koenigsegg ccx which we all know what a WOW factor had in his show, or the Veyron which he didn't have anything wrong to add if i remember?!

IMO there is no catch with the review of the m5. He simply didn't know how to mute the nav lady, he simply pressed the track button thinking that's the volume and so on...although in a way i find it hard that a man can be that...let's say uninspired but JC is by far no computer geek nor genius. (Notice that i use soft words )

So the answer to those questions IMO is that he simply didn't know how to do that, he wasn't friendly with the car...BUT THAT'S JUST MY OPINION and i could be wrong and maybe you were right that he did that just for show. But to say that he did that on purpose to simply praise the M5 the best he could...well sorry i don't buy that. In the end nothing changed: it's still the ugliest car regardless if the M button is pressed or not -------> that makes me bealive that he was quite subjective in this review as he is in his most reviews. That coped with the fact that i know he is not a particular a bmw man, and that he is often quite biased towards british cars, AND that he is a pretty old bloke that sees technology as a multiplier for the 0-60 times (M6 review) and many other stuff lead me to your opposite conclusion...as stated above.
Old 11-18-2006, 01:07 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='357707' date='Nov 18 2006, 11:25 PM
[...]
that makes me bealive that he was quite subjective in this review as he is in his most reviews
[...]
I learned in my life, that the best commenters are those who are subjective. All are, but few admit. And even fewer are proud of their subjectivism. It is very important to know, all are subjective when they say a car is ugly... I hope it is that way, otherwise, imagine we would all want the same car or woman...

Beauty is in the eye of beholder. And yes, he's an old bloke and more over a british car traditionalist. Especially no gadget freak, even he appreciated the HUD. That being said, I don't care if he says a car us ugly or too complicated. I know already what JC likes, and this is expected. But I am highly impressed when he says about the M5 that it compares with F430 and these are amongst the best driven cars.
Old 11-18-2006, 02:17 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by big_ipaq' post='357724' date='Nov 19 2006, 02:07 AM
I learned in my life, that the best commenters are those who are subjective. All are, but few admit. And even fewer are proud of their subjectivism. It is very important to know, all are subjective when they say a car is ugly... I hope it is that way, otherwise, imagine we would all want the same car or woman...

Beauty is in the eye of beholder. And yes, he's an old bloke and more over a british car traditionalist. Especially no gadget freak, even he appreciated the HUD. That being said, I don't care if he says a car us ugly or too complicated. I know already what JC likes, and this is expected. But I am highly impressed when he says about the M5 that it compares with F430 and these are amongst the best driven cars.
That's the most important part of your statement. And because of that i find that the best way to describe a car that you don't like (in styling) considering you are saying it on tv in front of millions, and you are responsable for it as a presenter, would be : the design is at least controversary (which is the reality indeed). But what do i know? I'm just one guy from the audience,an owner of an E60, and i'm just told in the face by great JC how ugly this car is. That's not right is it?! It like saying you don't have tastes. Many would feel offended by this. But i don't give a dime on what JC bealives, drives or does. I was more about the general stuff behind this. Never the less i like watching TG as i find it most entertaining. Like nickey said it's only a show.
Old 11-18-2006, 02:41 PM
Senior Members

Well, I also like Tiff Needell and his opinions, but mostly his driving skills. He's the Stig of the Fifth Gear. However, he's too efeminated sometimes in gestures.... JC never pretended to be a top pilot. I love his opinion and I am not offended by saying E60 is ugly. In E60 530i review by Captain Slow, he asked the same question, "Is it Ugly?" and he found out he likes it and has no real competition. I love the show, but I only get to see very old Fifth Gear episodes.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:12 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by big_ipaq' post='357774' date='Nov 19 2006, 03:41 AM
Well, I also like Tiff Needell and his opinions, but mostly his driving skills. He's the Stig of the Fifth Gear. However, he's too efeminated sometimes in gestures.... JC never pretended to be a top pilot. I love his opinion and I am not offended by saying E60 is ugly. In E60 530i review by Captain Slow, he asked the same question, "Is it Ugly?" and he found out he likes it and has no real competition. I love the show, but I only get to see very old Fifth Gear episodes.
I agree with you on the Tiff Needell (pardon) remark as he being sometimes too efeminated in gestures
Old 11-18-2006, 04:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 525i Silver Gray/Gray Dakota Leather | Steptronic | Cold Weather | Xenon | Premium Package Modifications: M Aero Kit | Carbon Fiber Kidney Grill | K&N Air Filter | Charcoal Filter Removed | Radenergie R10 Silver 20" soon | kW coilover V3 | SprintBooster soon | M5 trunk finisher Next planned mods: ?Hamann quad exhaust + Hamann quad rear diffuser + Hamann Front Lip?

Originally Posted by big_ipaq' post='356451' date='Nov 15 2006, 09:56 AM
I doubt. Did you watched the show I was talking about?

Best sedan in the world.

Watch it and watch again. Listen very carefully. I'd say he's a BMW lover. If you want, I can write the transcript and comment it together here.

I just love every word... Also one of my favourite is Lucifer comes to the track. I am amazed how many fall in this trap...
If he's a BMW hater, I am too.
After watching the video, I agree with you. He's a BMW lover He makes me want to get off my chair and go to the dealer and get an M5 right away.

Quick Reply: Does this guy bug you?