Press Articles & Your Comments Post links to 5 Series related magazine articles along with your commentary.

"Dealer Maintenance" = "No Maintenance"

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 10:02 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was reading the article on last generation 5 serie in Apr issue of Bimmer. The author mentioned that since BMW rolled out the Dealer Maintenace program for late models, he see a declined in quality of used cars. Basically, he's saying that the Dealer Maintenance program that we get for the first 4 yrs or 50 k is not enough to keep the car healthy in the long run. He mentioned the neglected are trainmission fluid, brake fluid, ...etc..

My E60 is new so I don't know if he is right or wrong. But I hate to have my wallet drained six, seven yrs down the road.

Maybe this is BMW's plan. Their "Maintenance Program" will ensure that we come in to see them often ater the waranty period is up....hahahahaha.

What do you think?
Old 01-26-2007, 10:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 525i, Premium,Cold,Xenon Packages

Yah, I read about this... its scary!
Old 01-26-2007, 11:37 AM
Members

Imagine the cha ching factor on an engine with twin turbos!

And, BMW used is a big big business. My dealer is taking over the pontiac/GMC space which is bigger than the current BMW building JUST FOR USED VEHICLES!!!

Lease them, then sell them to new people and keep the service as thats very profitabble!

Lexus is moving from a small dealership that served two cities into two new ones located in them that has to be 4 times the size of the old one. What are they expecting to do??? The service bay areas on them are enourmous!
Old 01-26-2007, 11:43 AM
gpt
Senior Members

I have to disagree. My dealer takes care of everything, including tx fluid and brake fluid. I guess it depends upon the service dept.; of your dealership.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by kxn530i07' post='383769' date='Jan 26 2007, 02:02 PM
I was reading the article on last generation 5 serie in Apr issue of Bimmer. The author mentioned that since BMW rolled out the Dealer Maintenace program for late models, he see a declined in quality of used cars. Basically, he's saying that the Dealer Maintenance program that we get for the first 4 yrs or 50 k is not enough to keep the car healthy in the long run. He mentioned the neglected are trainmission fluid, brake fluid, ...etc..

My E60 is new so I don't know if he is right or wrong. But I hate to have my wallet drained six, seven yrs down the road.

Maybe this is BMW's plan. Their "Maintenance Program" will ensure that we come in to see them often ater the waranty period is up....hahahahaha.

What do you think?
IMO the BMW brand name would be jeopardized if they would do such a thing and it would realy hurt them in the future so I think its plain B/S. They change the brake fluid at the 2 year period so right there he is B/Sing. Also they pick up the warrenty on CPO cars to what 100,000 miles
cheers
vern
Old 01-26-2007, 12:38 PM
zen
Members

Does good maintenance mean not changing the oil for almost Two years (21 months) and 18500 miles. The idrive say's that an oil change is due in 2000 miles. That's the situation with my car. The dealer says they will not change the oil unless there is less than 1000 miles to go.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:08 PM
Members

Originally Posted by zen' post='383811' date='Jan 26 2007, 01:38 PM
Does good maintenance mean not changing the oil for almost Two years (21 months) and 18500 miles. The idrive say's that an oil change is due in 2000 miles. That's the situation with my car. The dealer says they will not change the oil unless there is less than 1000 miles to go.
The initial clock starts at 15,000 miles and counting down right. Sounds like the oil in your car gets better with age.
I would pay out of pocket to change my oil yearly regardless of what the computer says.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:14 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by kxn530i07' post='383824' date='Jan 26 2007, 05:08 PM
The initial clock starts at 15,000 miles and counting down right. Sounds like the oil in your car gets better with age.
I would pay out of pocket to change my oil yearly regardless of what the computer says.
The dealers will change oil yearly regardless of mileage, I have 22K miles on mine and have had it changed twice already.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:03 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by Member545' post='383826' date='Jan 26 2007, 10:14 PM
The dealers will change oil yearly regardless of mileage, I have 22K miles on mine and have had it changed twice already.
Not here... dealers won't change the oil unless the service indicator gives the ok...
Most modern European cars use high-quality synthetic oil and intervals of 15,000-20,000 miles (or 2 years) is the norm. Brake fluid is changed every 2 years. Any independent tests I have seen indicate that this is quite ok. I can't imagine BMW and other premium manafacturers taking risks on this front.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:41 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

I have been using synthetic oil since the 1980's. It is different than regular oil. The two problems you have in oil is physical breakdown and combustion contaminants. In the old days with Mobile 1, their test showed that you could go up to 25,000 or two years but they recommended to change the oil filter twice as often as the oil. That was when the cars and oil filter were not designed for extented intervals, now they are.
I think you are ok to follow BMW's recommended service schedules.

Quick Reply: "Dealer Maintenance" = "No Maintenance"