Press Articles & Your Comments Post links to 5 Series related magazine articles along with your commentary.

Curious:anyone seen reviews on 545 SMG?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 06:44 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To date I haven't found one road test of a 545 w/SMG. I wonder why?
Old 01-27-2005, 07:11 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5, Silverstone with black extended leather, brushed aluminium trim, Nav Pro, Logic 7, PDC, 35 % tint.

See under "press articles" on the main forums page.

There was a long review at auto123.com, you can also search their website.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:25 AM
Members

Yes but no track comparison 0/60 etc.
Old 01-28-2005, 07:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530iA Silver Grey , black interior. Premium Package, Navigation System, Head-up Display, Radio Satellite, Adaptive Xenon Headlights. AC Schnitzer Front Lip, H&R springs, Rear red reflector, All season Floor mat,

You can see some reviews by our members here too! They're as good as the magazine's reviews..
Old 01-29-2005, 04:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 335d saph blk/saddle Sport loaded! 2005 545 Tit Silver/Black SMG, HUD, PDC, CWP, Shades, Sport/Prem, Sirus, Logic7, Nav, com seats ED 11/19/04 2004 X5 4.4 Oxford Green/beige PDC DSP NAV Com seats DVD ENT, alum running boards, bluetooth retired :thumbup:

The article with photos

October 10, 2004
2004 BMW 545i SMG Road Test
by Rob Rothwell, Canadian Auto Press

Seeing Beyond the Horizon

"Anyone can see the horizon. We wanted to see what lies beyond it." I lifted these words from BMW's glossy magazine-style After a few short minutes of seat time in the 545i, I concluded that BMW is not only seeing what lies beyond the horizon, they're creating it. brochure promoting their 2004 5-Series. After a few short minutes of seat time in this week's test vehicle, an SMG (sequential manual gearbox) equipped 545i, I concluded that BMW is not only seeing what lies beyond the horizon, they're creating it; the complexity of which had me feeling techno-challenged in a techno-driven world.

Fortunately for me, using the 545i's iDrive system is not critical to movement; hence I made it out of the automaker's While some may not agree, I find Bangle's cars outwardly challenging to admire. headquarters parking lot without the need to call BMW Roadside Assistance for help - but it was close.

For 2004 BMW didn't just add a chapter to the 5-Series book, they completely rewrote it, and albeit a book can't be judged by its cover the 5-Series cover is at best controversial thanks to the Bangle-effect. I had heard the unorthodox flaming surface design language described as the Bungle-effect in reference to the dramatic styling foisted, by Chief BMW design guru Chris Bangle, upon the previously clean lines of the 5 and 7-Series sedans. Now I don't personally ascribe to the "Bungle" analogy in describing the results of his work, but I do find his cars outwardly challenging to admire.

The 5's feline auto-leveling headlights and heavily sculpted bodylines have grown on me, but what I find far less palpable is The 5's feline-shaped auto-leveling headlights and heavily sculpted bodylines have grown on me. the high trunk line and large swooshy, wrap-around taillights. Try as I may, I can't find an ounce of ugly-duckling love for the 5's rear treatment.

Maybe I don't adjust well to change or maybe age has impaired my sense of design, or possibly both, but nevertheless what has yet to deteriorate is my ability to inspect a vehicle's exterior build quality. I was highly impressed with the accurate ultra-slim gapping surrounding the doors, trunk lid and engine hood of my tester. These panels were perfectly aligned and with the flick of a finger sealed shut drum-tight.

The fluid-like Bangle-bodied '04 5-Series is taller, wider and longer than last year's version, which I admit was beginning to The 2004 5-Series is taller, wider and longer than last year's version. show its age in the same way that many of my clothes are. The bigger Bimmer is approximately 5 cm (2 in) longer, 5 cm. (2 in) wider and 3.8 cm (1.5 in) taller than the previous generation. Quite commendably though, the big guy has shed some 10 kilos (22 pounds) in the expansion process, thanks in part to the generous use of lightweight, high-strength aluminum in much of the frame and chassis structure fore and aft of the passenger cabin. The use of this material has also contributed to a handling enhancing 50/50 distribution of the 545i's respectable 1,725 kg (3,803 lb) curb weight. The vehicle's rear axle assembly is also comprised of weight-saving aluminum, which aids in reducing the vehicle's unsprung mass.

The BMW design team approached the interior of the 545i with no less enthusiasm and edgy-creativity than was exercised outside, While the BMW design team put considerable enthusiasm and creativity into the interior, the updated yet still complicated iDrive remains. and while BMW has always been recognized for building stylish, upscale interiors, this year they may have gone too far. Why? iDrive, that's why. Some have claimed that iDrive really means; "I drive, you change the radio settings." It's just that complicated. Now, I understand BMW's concept of clearing away dashboard clutter by placing many non-essential controls under the command of a console-mounted multi-function dial, but for those of us not working in NASA's IT department, iDrive can drive you nuts - at least initially. After scanning some accompanying literature and sequestering myself away to concentrate on practicing with the iDrive dial, I became fairly conversant with its use, although not sufficiently so to do anything second nature. Fortunately BMW retained some of the basics outside the scope of the whiz-kid gizmo in its second generation - yes the first one was even more complicated. I was relieved to find shortcut buttons surrounding the mouse-like dial, plus audio controls mounted on the three-spoke steering wheel and HVAC controls where they should be - on the dash.

BMW claims the iDrive system allows the driver to concentrate fully on driving because the system provides distraction-free access to secondary control functions; hmmmm...
For 2005 the iDrive format has been simplified over the already "simplified" 2004 version. I'm skeptical. A dash-mounted 8.8-inch screen displays iDrive data. Operational categories are chosen by tilting the iDrive dial in the direction of the desired category displayed on the screen. Pushing down on the highlighted selection opens an options screen, which enables the activation of specific functions. After choosing the intended function, settings can be adjusted by rotating the iDrive dial and clicking on this or that, depending on what has been highlighted on the screen. Are you with me so far? Unless equipped with the optional navigation system, the four basic categories of operation accessible through iDrive are climate, entertainment, communications and car data. Blissfully I can report that for 2005 the iDrive format has been simplified over the already "simplified" 2004 version, requiring fewer key strikes if you will, to complete desired adjustments.

Regardless of whether I am techy (or should I say Trekky) enough to grow into iDrive, the 545i interior provides splendid Regardless of the difficulties presented by the iDrive system, the 545i interior provides splendid comfort, security and ambience. comfort, security and ambience. The materials used to construct this vault of solidity are first-rate in the touchy-feely tactile world, and the leather upholstery covering the to-die-for front seats is butter-soft. The heated power front seats adjust for seat angle, headrest position, backrest angle, seat height, seat depth, lumbar support and side bolstering. These sensitive cradles of comfort will hug you tight when no one else will. Ventilated front seats are optional.

While seated in the driver's office the two primary gauges - tachometer and speedometer - are perfectly visible through the upper portion of the steering wheel. Set into the lower portion of the tachometer dial is a fuel BMW applied its minimalist approach to the gauge cluster as well as the dashboard. consumption meter, (which I would rather conceal with a piece of tape to relieve my Eco-guilt). Situated similarly in the neighboring speedo is a fuel gauge. Clearly, BMW applied its minimalist approach to the gauge cluster as well as the dashboard. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing an extra couple of gauges displaying readouts such as engine temperature and oil pressure. Given the cost of a 545i engine replacement, I'd rather know what's happening before an idiot light tells me I am one.

The new 5-Series offers optional heads-up display as well, projecting speed and navigation details on the windscreen. My tester had this option, unfortunately my Polaroid sunglasses wiped out the image during daytime driving. Otherwise, I found the screen-show useful.

Because I had some pre-awareness of how technology-laden the 545i is, I was as prepared for the iDrive challenge as The ever-industrious engineers at BMW have developed a steering system that magnifies the amount of effect driver input has at low and medium driving speeds. humanly possible, and keen to experience BMW's Active Steering technology - which incidentally won AJAC's (Auto Journalists Association of Canada) 2004 award for "Best New Technology." The ever-industrious engineers at BMW have developed a steering system that magnifies the amount of effect driver input has at low and medium driving speeds, giving the car go-cart-like nimbleness and agility. Conversely the technology diminishes the amount of effect driver input has at high speeds, making the car less susceptible to unintentional movement. This electro-mechanical magic is accomplished via the use of a planetary gear integrated into the steering column, enabling an electric motor to increase or decrease the steering angle of the front wheels depending on the vehicle's speed.

So what's the benefit you ask? Well, it's under debate by many automotive journalists and just like lawyers, no group of car critics can agree on anything. Many feel that BMW's Active Steering system does not contribute enough to handling performance to make up for what they say is an unnatural feel. I disagree. Now that I have sampled this technology for myself, I fall squarely in the pro-Active camp. I enjoyed the instant turn-in at low speeds and favored the straight-line stability at high speeds. Slow speed maneuvering of the fairly large, Active Steering equipped 545i is delightful. Less than two rotations of the steering wheel are needed to travel from lock to lock during parking I disagree with journalists who say BMW's Active Steering system does not contribute enough to handling performance to make up for what they say is an unnatural feel. situations. Most automotive steering setups requir more than three rotations to complete this task. Driving about town, through parking lots and around tight corners is accomplished with ease and precision, although there may be an adjustment period necessary to eliminate the tendency to cut corners too sharp, risking a clipped curb or scraped fender - ouch. Drive the 545i at highway speeds and above, and gone is the twitchiness that often accompanies sports cars engineered with lightening quick turn-in. In real world, city and highway driving Active Steering prevails over conventional systems requiring significantly more effort. Without track-testing the 545i, I won't wade into the debate any further; other than to say the combination of these juxtaposing strengths makes the 545i one fine handling ride.

Included with the Active Steering technology is BMW's Dynamic Drive active suspension system, (called Active Roll My 545i tester cornered so prairie-flat, regardless of speed, that it was almost surreal given the 545i's respectable ride-quality. Stabilization in the U.S.) which utilizes active stabilizers in the front and rear suspension to minimize body roll when cornering. This hardware does just what the literature claims. My 545i tester cornered so prairie-flat, regardless of speed that it was almost surreal given the 545i's respectable ride-quality. And that's the dilemma that has stumped engineers since placing springs between the bodies and axles; how do you master pavement searing handling without resorting to injury-inducing spring rates? And then, if the ride is too harsh there's no travel, and therefore compliancy over bumps and dips, and a car that's first bottoming out and then flying through the air isn't exactly tractive. In addition to its active suspension technology, BMW has used an aluminum double-pivot strut-type front suspension and an aluminum 4-link integral rear suspension in the 545i.

BMW hasn't just pushed the envelope with its active suspension, they have licked it shut and mailed it. In so many ways the 545i delivers the virtues of a large comfortable sedan, sans ship-like handling. Toss the family-sized Bimmer into a corner and thanks to Dynamic Drive, it suddenly abandons its luxury-car aura in favor of M-car handling characteristics capable of tossing craniums side-to-side like a
BMW hasn't just pushed the envelope with its active suspension, they have licked it shut and mailed it. marbles in a pinball machine. There's something very satisfying and reassuring about knowing this level of agility exists in a car comfortable enough to satisfy the graying segment. In the all-Active 545i, swerves and curves can be approached with enthusiasm and complete driver confidence. This tenacious brute will hold a high-speed line like a lion holds its prey, only feeding back to the driver a slight amount of predictable understeer while controllably oversteering all day long if the electronic driver aids are switched off - but that's probably not a good idea unless you're a pro on a closed circuit course. If you do manage to push it too far with all electronics engaged and an imminent loss of control is detected, BMW's exclusive Dynamic Stability Control III will do everything modern technology can do to restore civility and frayed nerves.

Also soothing frayed nerves is the sweet sensation the 4.4-liter (268 cu-in) V8 induces while propelling the 545i with skin The 4.4-liter V8 engine is undoubtedly one of the 545i's highlights. tightening thrust. This engine is undoubtedly one of the 545i's highlights. It is beautifully refined and balanced, showing absolutely no guttural harshness or crude thrashiness regardless of rpm. Throttle tip-in is quite aggressive though, especially when connected to BMW's optional SMG clutch-less 6-speed manual transmission. Throttle sensitivity combined with the locked and loaded nature of the SMG gearbox can induce unwanted jerkiness and head-snapping acceleration if driver inattention sets in. Unless a potential owner is seeking the ultimate 5-Series performance ride without going to the raging M5, I would recommend averting from the optional SMG and selecting a 545i with either the fully manual 6-speed mixer or the 6-speed automatic featuring BMW's Steptronic manual shifting method. But don't take my word for it without at least giving all three sticks a good workout in city traffic. Back to the SMG, it does have an automatic mode but I found its operation annoying. Gear changes felt very protracted and labored, during which time there is a complete and disconcerting loss of The 545i is beautifully refined and balanced, especially when connected to BMW's optional SMG clutch-less 6-speed manual transmission. power loss to the rear wheels. This doesn't make for smooth driving and can be frustrating when trying to position oneself for a lane change.

But if it's track-ready performance you're seeking, the SMG's fusion of 325 horsepower and 330 pounds-feet of torque to the rear wheels won't disappoint. From 1,000 rpm to its 6,500 rpm redline the Bimmer's polished-8 will pull incessantly. The rampage comes-on strong and early in the rev band, not subsiding until the limiter cuts in at about 7,000 rpm. Peak torque arrives at a mere 3,700 rpm, dishing out plenty of low-end oomph. During a charge down the freeway on-ramp, rapid surefire shifts hit the moment the stick is tilted rearward or one of the two SMG steering wheel mounted paddles is tapped. What seems like milliseconds later another tap and another tap as the big speedo climbs nearly as fast as the tach. This is authoritative yet genteel power of the finest ilk, accompanied by a heavily muted, most cultured growl.

BMW puts a 6.0-second time on a 0-100 km/h (0-62 mph) run in the 545i equipped with a regular automatic stick. My senses tell me The twin steering-wheel mounted shifter paddles are each configured to either upshift or downshift through the gearbox.
that the SMG equipped buggy may be slightly faster - at least it feels that way to me. Unlike the SMG-equipped M3 that I recently put through rigors of a road test, the twin paddles in the 545i are each configured to either upshift or downshift through the gearbox. I preferred this format to the paddle configuration in the M3, which uses the right paddle for upshifting and the left paddle for downshifting. Being able to climb up or down the ladder of cogs with the same hand allowed me to use my right hand for flipping through iDrive screens, a sensory overload nothing short of a binary frenzy.

Fortunately, incredibly strong brakes are in place for the inevitable occasions when the iDrive screen is getting more attention The 4-wheel inner-vented, antilock disc brakes feature BMW's Dynamic Brake Control and Cornering Brake Control compositions. than the traffic up ahead. Performing admirably during these potential "breaking" situations is a 4-wheel inner-vented, antilock disc setup featuring BMW's Dynamic Brake Control (DBC) and Cornering Brake Control (CBC) compositions. The DBC system balances braking force front to rear and the CBC system balances the same side to side - that is if the antilock system is activated during a cornering maneuver. The aggregate payoff is shorter stopping distances and greater emergency-stopping control. The binders on my test sled needed very little pedal pressure - perhaps too little - to rapidly dispense with vehicular movement. Braking clout was easily modulated thanks to a very linear progression in stopping force. The 545i's antilock technology was never premature in its intervention, allowing the driver some full-force braking "wiggle room."

Of course, full-force braking doesn't guarantee a near miss. When contact with a foreign object does occur, the 545i has some The 545i features adaptive headlights, which can aim themselves partially around corners. pretty "heady" protectors in place, beginning with frontal airbags for the driver and front passenger, side-impact front-to-rear head airbags, front-mounted side airbags and optional rear-mounted side airbags. Besides the passive safety of up to eight airbags, the 545i also features adaptive headlights, which can aim themselves partially around corners. This feature, which to BMW's credit is standard equipment on the 545i, uses cornering sensors to measure speed, yaw rate and steering angle. According to BMW, an electromechanical system then adjusts the direction of the xenon headlights to match the layout of the bend, providing optimal illumination of the road ahead. I found adaptive headlights useful, but compared to regular lights the For those wanting to sharpen the 545i's handling skills or enhance its premium comfort levels, several option packages and numerous BMW accessories are available. differences are subtle on unlit roads, or at least are difficult to comment on without driving a normally lit 5-Series on the same stretch of pavement in identical lighting conditions. On illuminated city streets, the effect is negligible.

As one would expect, the techno-rich Bavarian champ is very content-rich as well, not to mention pricey-rich. However, for those wanting to sharpen the 545i's handling skills or enhance its premium comfort levels, several option packages and numerous BMW accessories are available including a premium package - the sport package contains the active steering technology and active anti-roll suspension technology. Navigation, which includes voice-activation, is also optional along with a premium audio unit and a parking distance warning system.

Now that I've mentioned the upgraded audio, let me vent about an issue with the sensational sounding stock unit. In a Regardless of price, few vehicles are capable of matching the 545i's performance thresholds, build quality and cutting-edge technology. prestigious, expensive vehicle such as the 545i, it's completely unacceptable to require additional cash just for the privilege of stacking 6-CD's into a glove-box mounted CD player. My heavily optioned test car could only store a single CD at a time; sometimes it's the little things that irritate the most.