Press Articles & Your Comments Post links to 5 Series related magazine articles along with your commentary.

Consumer Reports Sucks!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 07:35 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm upset, I love my e60 and wouldn't trade it in for anything and now the losers at Consumer Reports are already bashing it. Someone find more info on this, I just saw it on CNNfn.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:36 AM
Senior Members

CR is bashing the reliability.
They read this site too!
Old 11-09-2004, 07:53 AM
Members

The guys at autolies and RF must be eating this one up. I'm actually glad CR is bashing it. Hopefully it will force BMW NA to have a serious talk with its dealers. All I can say is that I'm extremely happy with the car and its reliability after 15,000 miles, but it would be nice if the dealers had more training on the car. The fact that there are guys on this board who've had their car in the shop for weeks at a time is unacceptable.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW M-Power

Originally Posted by JZ BMW' date='Nov 9 2004, 10:35 AM
I'm upset, I love my e60 and wouldn't trade it in for anything and now the losers at Consumer Reports are already bashing it.? Someone find more info on this, I just saw it on CNNfn.
[snapback]54160[/snapback]
My experince w/ Consumer Report Has been very positive, CR?s survey is unbiased. I wouldn?t bash CR just because they reported something in you didn?t like.

I know that I didn?t buy a German car for its reliability. The concept of ?perfect? car doesn?t exist. If you want cutting edge technology, you have to understand that something has to give.

Anybody who has been around German cars long enough would know that the first of anything (be it model, engine or equipment) tend to have more quirks. If you want the newest and the latest toys, you will have to accept that there are potential problems to be worked-out. Take a look at the historical reliability of the E46, E39 BMW from CR. If you want to have the reliable old stuff, wait until the last 2 years of the production year and knock yourself out.

Just my 2 cents,

beewang
Old 11-09-2004, 08:11 AM
Contributors

Wall Street Journal picked up on the Consumer Reports article. They slammed the e60 for the typical issues we have discussed - key icon, alarm going off if you hold botton down to long and bluetooth - B.F.D.!!! I would still take my e60 over any of the "most reliable" Hondas and Toyotas. Consumer Report and the WSJ can write all they want about small, petty issues, give me the 545i's engine and transmission any day.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:00 AM

I read a CNNfN news report on the consumer reports reliability ratings. It states that the survey was done in early 2004, so I do not know if the majority of the BMW 5 series reliability ratings are for the e60 or the older e39.

If they are for the new e60, they would have a very small sample size, so it's difficult to tell how widespread these reliability problems are. I was in the bookstore over the weekend and could find no CR reliability ratings for the e60 in their auto buying guides, so this must be new information CR has just published.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:25 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by beewang' date='Nov 9 2004, 11:07 AM
I know that I didn?t buy a German car for its reliability. The concept of ?perfect? car doesn?t exist. If you want cutting edge technology, you have to understand that something has to give.

Anybody who has been around German cars long enough would know that the first of anything (be it model, engine or equipment) tend to have more quirks. If you want the newest and the latest toys, you will have to accept that there are potential problems to be worked-out. Take a look at the historical reliability of the E46, E39 BMW from CR. If you want to have the reliable old stuff, wait until the last 2 years of the production year and knock yourself out.
[snapback]54165[/snapback]
Absolutely right. It's the ultimate driving machine
That's why we buy it. For those who are into zero maintenance, try a Civic.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:55 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545iA Titanium Silver/Gray, Poplar----Cold Weather Pkg, Comfort Seats, Logic 7 Audio, Heated Rear Seats

In the latest ratings I find on the CR website, no German vehicle rated above average in reliability. The E60 was rated over 40% below average in reliability, and it was noted that this was based on one year or less of data for a new model.

The E-class, S-class and 7-series were rated worse than the 5. I didn't see anything that I would characterize as "bashing" the E60.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:40 PM
Members

Well, since I get all maintenance included, I guess I'm not that worried about it. After 1 week, I am truly in love.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:50 PM
Senior Members

anyone with the link ?

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports Sucks!!!