5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   Press Articles & Your Comments (https://5series.net/forums/press-articles-your-comments-6/)
-   -   Consumer Reports new E60 Reliability (https://5series.net/forums/press-articles-your-comments-6/consumer-reports-new-e60-reliability-17804/)

BimmerGuyFL 10-30-2005 05:26 AM

I just bought at the local barnes and noble book store the new car preview 2006 consumer reports magazine and they updated there data on all past cars and now up to 2005 models. The E60 used to have a black dot for reliability, now they have changed the E60 into two seperate rates, Inline 6 models and V8 models. The good new is that the Inline 6 models are now recommended being average with a white dot, but the V8 models are still not recommended aparently having more problems and they were given a full black dot :( no mercedes benz models are recommended as well as Audi except for the A4 model only. Recommended BMW models now being recommended are 5 series, M3, X3, X5 and Z4. not enough data on the 6 series, 3 series is a new model so no data on that yet and the 7 series did improve on reliability but not enough to take it out from not being recommended.

At least BMW are the most reliable German cars right now

mehall2 10-30-2005 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by BimmerGuyFL' date='Oct 30 2005, 08:26 AM
I just bought at the local barnes and noble book store the new car preview 2006 consumer reports magazine and they updated there data on all past cars and now up to 2005 models. The E60 used to have a black dot for reliability, now they have changed the E60 into two seperate rates, Inline 6 models and V8 models. The good new is that the Inline 6 models are now recommended being average with a white dot, but the V8 models are still not recommended aparently having more problems and they were given a full black dot? :(? no mercedes benz models are recommended as well as Audi except for the A4 model only. Recommended BMW models now being recommended are 5 series, M3, X3, X5 and Z4. not enough data on the 6 series, 3 series is a new model so no data on that yet and the 7 series did improve on reliability but not enough to take it out from not being recommended.

[snapback]190862[/snapback]

Very Interesting Reading. Our 545i has been rock solid so far. 17.800 miles of pure driving pleasure. Only had one little issue with the air intake plumbing, early on, but nothing since then.

I did read an article somewhere about how the American Car Industry has surpassed the Europeans in Reliabilty and Q.C. Japanese #1, USA #2, Europeans #3.

I thought that was interesting. I know Mercedes has slipped quite a bit, according the various articles out there.

I guess if you are building Buicks and pickups, how much is there to mess up? :P

For me, other than the Z06 (Which would get me arrested or killed) I don't have any desire for anything GM, Ford, or Chrysler makes. That makes me sad, in a way...

Go BMW!!!

Regards, Mike.

AC_S5 10-30-2005 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by mehall2' date='Oct 30 2005, 11:08 PM
[quote name='BimmerGuyFL' date='Oct 30 2005, 08:26 AM']I just bought at the local barnes and noble book store the new car preview 2006 consumer reports magazine and they updated there data on all past cars and now up to 2005 models. The E60 used to have a black dot for reliability, now they have changed the E60 into two seperate rates, Inline 6 models and V8 models. The good new is that the Inline 6 models are now recommended being average with a white dot, but the V8 models are still not recommended aparently having more problems and they were given a full black dot? :(? no mercedes benz models are recommended as well as Audi except for the A4 model only. Recommended BMW models now being recommended are 5 series, M3, X3, X5 and Z4. not enough data on the 6 series, 3 series is a new model so no data on that yet and the 7 series did improve on reliability but not enough to take it out from not being recommended.

Very Interesting Reading. Our 545i has been rock solid so far. 17.800 miles of pure driving pleasure. Only had one little issue with the air intake plumbing, early on, but nothing since then.

I did read an article somewhere about how the American Car Industry has surpassed the Europeans in Reliabilty and Q.C. Japanese #1, USA #2, Europeans #3.

I thought that was interesting. I know Mercedes has slipped quite a bit, according the various articles out there.

I guess if you are building Buicks and pickups, how much is there to mess up? :P

For me, other than the Z06 (Which would get me arrested or killed) I don't have any desire for anything GM, Ford, or Chrysler makes. That makes me sad, in a way...

Go BMW!!!

Regards, Mike.
[snapback]190879[/snapback]
[/quote]

When they say Europeans, do they include those not so reliable ones like Alfa or Fiats? If so than is not fair to say their reliability has dropped because of this.

One more thing, since MB's merge with Chrysler, the desire to have one drops even lower then before.

mehall2 10-30-2005 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by AC_S5' date='Oct 30 2005, 09:17 AM
[quote name='mehall2' date='Oct 30 2005, 11:08 PM'][quote name='BimmerGuyFL' date='Oct 30 2005, 08:26 AM']I just bought at the local barnes and noble book store the new car preview 2006 consumer reports magazine and they updated there data on all past cars and now up to 2005 models. The E60 used to have a black dot for reliability, now they have changed the E60 into two seperate rates, Inline 6 models and V8 models. The good new is that the Inline 6 models are now recommended being average with a white dot, but the V8 models are still not recommended aparently having more problems and they were given a full black dot? :(? no mercedes benz models are recommended as well as Audi except for the A4 model only. Recommended BMW models now being recommended are 5 series, M3, X3, X5 and Z4. not enough data on the 6 series, 3 series is a new model so no data on that yet and the 7 series did improve on reliability but not enough to take it out from not being recommended.

Go BMW!!!

Regards, Mike.
[/quote]

When they say Europeans, do they include those not so reliable ones like Alfa or Fiats? If so than is not fair to say their reliability has dropped because of this.

One more thing, since MB's merge with Chrysler, the desire to have one drops even lower then before.
[snapback]190880[/snapback]
[/quote]

Since this was an Magazine from the USA, I would assume that anything not sold here was not included in the data. So Fiat, Alfa, Renault, weren't included. Again, I find it hard to believe myself.

But there having Quality and Reliability doesn't guarantee Desirability. It is just part of the equation. :P

Cheers! Mike.

kryptokat 10-30-2005 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by mehall2' date='Oct 30 2005, 11:08 AM
I don't have any desire for anything GM, Ford, or Chrysler makes.? ? That makes me sad, in a way...?

Same Here :unsure:

AC_S5 10-30-2005 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by mehall2' date='Oct 31 2005, 08:47 AM
But there having Quality and Reliability doesn't guarantee Desirability.? It is just part of the equation.? ? :P

Cheers!? Mike.
[snapback]191035[/snapback]

Totally agree, although Lexus are reliable but I don't have the desire to own one compare with my E60.

AC_S5 10-30-2005 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by kryptokat' date='Oct 31 2005, 09:17 AM
[quote name='mehall2' date='Oct 30 2005, 11:08 AM']
I don't have any desire for anything GM, Ford, or Chrysler makes.? ? That makes me sad, in a way...??

Same Here :unsure:
[snapback]191048[/snapback]
[/quote]

Good for rental cars and that's it.

my530i 10-30-2005 09:15 PM

Lexus are for those who want to have some kind of class and afraid of bringing their car to dealer. Also, most of them don't know what good handling, steering wheel, and performance are. All they needs is cushy ride and reliability. One thing they don't know is most of Jap car makers are not innovators. They're just a bunch of copycat, and trying to copy :).
They needs to be spearhead like German car manufacturers who are innovators and ready to take the heat from consumers and magazine editor about new inventions (iDrive, Active Steering, ABS, etc.) and reliability issue.

ZinMe 10-30-2005 09:33 PM

Thanks for the information from CR. I actually picked the 545 over the 530 becasue the 530 came out with the new engine this summer and I was worried about reliability. I'm guessing the CR information is based on the old engine for the 530. Anyway, too late now.... we'll keep our fingers crossed.

swajames 10-30-2005 09:39 PM

there probably *is* some basis to this, but to be honest I trust auto information from consumer reports about as much as I'd trust Michael Jackson to babysit the kids.