Press Articles & Your Comments Post links to 5 Series related magazine articles along with your commentary.

Consumer Reports new E60 Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 05:26 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 330i Orient Blue exterior Beigh leather interior with Wood trim, Premium package, Steptronic auto, Xenon headlights.

I just bought at the local barnes and noble book store the new car preview 2006 consumer reports magazine and they updated there data on all past cars and now up to 2005 models. The E60 used to have a black dot for reliability, now they have changed the E60 into two seperate rates, Inline 6 models and V8 models. The good new is that the Inline 6 models are now recommended being average with a white dot, but the V8 models are still not recommended aparently having more problems and they were given a full black dot no mercedes benz models are recommended as well as Audi except for the A4 model only. Recommended BMW models now being recommended are 5 series, M3, X3, X5 and Z4. not enough data on the 6 series, 3 series is a new model so no data on that yet and the 7 series did improve on reliability but not enough to take it out from not being recommended.

At least BMW are the most reliable German cars right now
Old 10-30-2005, 06:08 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BimmerGuyFL' date='Oct 30 2005, 08:26 AM
I just bought at the local barnes and noble book store the new car preview 2006 consumer reports magazine and they updated there data on all past cars and now up to 2005 models. The E60 used to have a black dot for reliability, now they have changed the E60 into two seperate rates, Inline 6 models and V8 models. The good new is that the Inline 6 models are now recommended being average with a white dot, but the V8 models are still not recommended aparently having more problems and they were given a full black dot? ? no mercedes benz models are recommended as well as Audi except for the A4 model only. Recommended BMW models now being recommended are 5 series, M3, X3, X5 and Z4. not enough data on the 6 series, 3 series is a new model so no data on that yet and the 7 series did improve on reliability but not enough to take it out from not being recommended.

[snapback]190862[/snapback]
Very Interesting Reading. Our 545i has been rock solid so far. 17.800 miles of pure driving pleasure. Only had one little issue with the air intake plumbing, early on, but nothing since then.

I did read an article somewhere about how the American Car Industry has surpassed the Europeans in Reliabilty and Q.C. Japanese #1, USA #2, Europeans #3.

I thought that was interesting. I know Mercedes has slipped quite a bit, according the various articles out there.

I guess if you are building Buicks and pickups, how much is there to mess up?

For me, other than the Z06 (Which would get me arrested or killed) I don't have any desire for anything GM, Ford, or Chrysler makes. That makes me sad, in a way...

Go BMW!!!

Regards, Mike.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by mehall2' date='Oct 30 2005, 11:08 PM
[quote name='BimmerGuyFL' date='Oct 30 2005, 08:26 AM']I just bought at the local barnes and noble book store the new car preview 2006 consumer reports magazine and they updated there data on all past cars and now up to 2005 models. The E60 used to have a black dot for reliability, now they have changed the E60 into two seperate rates, Inline 6 models and V8 models. The good new is that the Inline 6 models are now recommended being average with a white dot, but the V8 models are still not recommended aparently having more problems and they were given a full black dot? ? no mercedes benz models are recommended as well as Audi except for the A4 model only. Recommended BMW models now being recommended are 5 series, M3, X3, X5 and Z4. not enough data on the 6 series, 3 series is a new model so no data on that yet and the 7 series did improve on reliability but not enough to take it out from not being recommended.

Very Interesting Reading. Our 545i has been rock solid so far. 17.800 miles of pure driving pleasure. Only had one little issue with the air intake plumbing, early on, but nothing since then.

I did read an article somewhere about how the American Car Industry has surpassed the Europeans in Reliabilty and Q.C. Japanese #1, USA #2, Europeans #3.

I thought that was interesting. I know Mercedes has slipped quite a bit, according the various articles out there.

For me, other than the Z06 (Which would get me arrested or killed) I don't have any desire for anything GM, Ford, or Chrysler makes. That makes me sad, in a way...

Go BMW!!!

Regards, Mike.
[snapback]190879[/snapback]
[/quote]

When they say Europeans, do they include those not so reliable ones like Alfa or Fiats? If so than is not fair to say their reliability has dropped because of this.

One more thing, since MB's merge with Chrysler, the desire to have one drops even lower then before.
Old 10-30-2005, 03:47 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by AC_S5' date='Oct 30 2005, 09:17 AM
[quote name='mehall2' date='Oct 30 2005, 11:08 PM'][quote name='BimmerGuyFL' date='Oct 30 2005, 08:26 AM']I just bought at the local barnes and noble book store the new car preview 2006 consumer reports magazine and they updated there data on all past cars and now up to 2005 models. The E60 used to have a black dot for reliability, now they have changed the E60 into two seperate rates, Inline 6 models and V8 models. The good new is that the Inline 6 models are now recommended being average with a white dot, but the V8 models are still not recommended aparently having more problems and they were given a full black dot? ? no mercedes benz models are recommended as well as Audi except for the A4 model only. Recommended BMW models now being recommended are 5 series, M3, X3, X5 and Z4. not enough data on the 6 series, 3 series is a new model so no data on that yet and the 7 series did improve on reliability but not enough to take it out from not being recommended.

Go BMW!!!

Regards, Mike.
[/quote]

When they say Europeans, do they include those not so reliable ones like Alfa or Fiats? If so than is not fair to say their reliability has dropped because of this.

One more thing, since MB's merge with Chrysler, the desire to have one drops even lower then before.
[snapback]190880[/snapback]
[/quote]

Since this was an Magazine from the USA, I would assume that anything not sold here was not included in the data. So Fiat, Alfa, Renault, weren't included. Again, I find it hard to believe myself.

But there having Quality and Reliability doesn't guarantee Desirability. It is just part of the equation.

Cheers! Mike.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:17 PM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i silver

Originally Posted by mehall2' date='Oct 30 2005, 11:08 AM
I don't have any desire for anything GM, Ford, or Chrysler makes.? ? That makes me sad, in a way...?

Same Here
Old 10-30-2005, 05:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by mehall2' date='Oct 31 2005, 08:47 AM
But there having Quality and Reliability doesn't guarantee Desirability.? It is just part of the equation.? ?

Cheers!? Mike.
[snapback]191035[/snapback]
Totally agree, although Lexus are reliable but I don't have the desire to own one compare with my E60.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:47 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by kryptokat' date='Oct 31 2005, 09:17 AM
[quote name='mehall2' date='Oct 30 2005, 11:08 AM']
I don't have any desire for anything GM, Ford, or Chrysler makes.? ? That makes me sad, in a way...??

Same Here
[snapback]191048[/snapback]
[/quote]

Good for rental cars and that's it.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:15 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexus are for those who want to have some kind of class and afraid of bringing their car to dealer. Also, most of them don't know what good handling, steering wheel, and performance are. All they needs is cushy ride and reliability. One thing they don't know is most of Jap car makers are not innovators. They're just a bunch of copycat, and trying to copy .
They needs to be spearhead like German car manufacturers who are innovators and ready to take the heat from consumers and magazine editor about new inventions (iDrive, Active Steering, ABS, etc.) and reliability issue.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:33 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Orient Blue, Black Interior, Sport Package, Satellite

Thanks for the information from CR. I actually picked the 545 over the 530 becasue the 530 came out with the new engine this summer and I was worried about reliability. I'm guessing the CR information is based on the old engine for the 530. Anyway, too late now.... we'll keep our fingers crossed.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

there probably *is* some basis to this, but to be honest I trust auto information from consumer reports about as much as I'd trust Michael Jackson to babysit the kids.

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports new E60 Reliability