Press Articles & Your Comments Post links to 5 Series related magazine articles along with your commentary.

Car and Driver sports lux comparison

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 10:27 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 335i Sedan

How do you test V8s? vs. a V6 and an Inline 6 and call it a fair comparison? it makes no sense, you get rid of that stuff 55K cap, cuz anybody buying a car for tha much can't really care about a couple of extra thousands! I mean obviously they care but it's not what is keeping them from buying the car! Somebody @ BMW really rubbed these guys the wrong way and they are seriously trying to take sales away from the E60!
Old 04-01-2005, 01:24 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530ia, saphire black on black dakota leather, steptronic, sports package and premium package; heated front and rear seats, heated steering wheel, auto bixenon headlamps, rain sensor, dynamic drive, active steering, 18" rims, Harman Kardon L7, CD Changer, poplar wood with chrome accent on steering wheel and shifter, build date 10/2003

I have always thought, Car and Driver has got to be the WORST magazine out there! whenever I look at it on the shelf, I just move right past. The articles and reviews are totally based on corporate relationships! for example, when Acura wins a 'battle'... there are like two pull out Folding Acura ads!!!?, or 3 GM ads!... its SO biased its almost funny to read!.

As for iDrive, I admit it takes GETTING USED TO!!! taking it around a track a few times, slamming on the brakes twice, and peeling out against a clock, is not how someone gets used to iDrive. iDrive doesnt even have hardly any daily functions the driver needs to operate the car... for example, how many times do you set your 'pathway lighting time', or 'stereo equalizer', or 'climate distribution setting', or 'flat tire monitor', with the exception of FM/AM stations (which can all easily be addressed from the dash) iDrive is ALL driver-specific settings! when I first used it, yeah sure it was a little frustrating, but ONLY because i was trying to learn it and find all the menus, now I cant imagine having to look for numbers 1, 2 , 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10... to change radio stations... hence, 'EYES are off the road!!!!!'
Guys at C&D; times are changing!!! the days of 150 buttons all over the dash is over! move with the program.

Another beef I have against Car and Driver is, they always contradict there basis of the competetion... get it straight!!! are you guys reviewing cars for Luxury, bang for buck, performance, everything, price, color, number of ads perchased, or what!??? stick with one thing! they review on Luxury most of the times, then judge based on price or performance - they review based on performance sometimes, then judge the outcome based on bang for buck...!!!
they are just all over the place!
I have to admit, the best car mag IMHO is 'Automobile'...

we know our cars are the greatest, hold the values, and out perform ALL competitors!

cheers!
Old 04-01-2005, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

On the brighter side, now that the 530 ranked so low, Lomag won't need to upgrade the servers or bandwidth for this site just yet!
Old 04-01-2005, 02:34 PM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by katmai' date='Mar 31 2005, 11:22 PM
A few more buttons and dials would address the criticisms.? There should be buttons, dials, short cut keys to cotrol radio functions and navigation functions without using I-Drive mouse.
[snapback]109667[/snapback]
Hmmm, maybe, but don't forget that most of the Entertainment portion of iDrive can be operated with the steering wheel buttons once the presets are set up.
Old 04-02-2005, 03:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535D

Originally Posted by katmai' date='Apr 1 2005, 12:27 PM
[snapback]109701[/snapback]

Katmai,

It seems that a main peave that everyone has is the entertainment source button. I must admit that at first I found it really annoying to have to slide down and hold then slide up twice then scroll right or left and then push down. (FM to AM)
But now that I know my car I find the voice command "AM" or "FM" followed by my station choice far easier than my wifes Honda Odyssey where I must push a button to change the entertaiment source and then another one to scroll through presets. BMW also offers the option to program a steering wheel button for next Entertainment source.

I have thought very objectively about the button scenario. Having lived in an E60 with NAV for 7 months I find the ACURA RLs button implementation quite pointless.

Hormazd
[snapback]109861[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hormazd

I agree with you that many of us who lived with our car for weeks, months or year can operate with ease via i-drive rotary mouse or voice command. Personally, I'm very good at using technology gadgets.

I do feel the designer left out some frequently access features via buttons. Those controls are for occassional drivers and sometimes for primary drivers. There are times that I can not use voice control effectively due to passenger conversations. It takes more than a few minutes for a new driver to figure out some of the frequently access features. It's unnessary frustration, if certain things are different from a normal car.

Katmai
[snapback]109888[/snapback]
[/quote]

I side with every word of you, Katmai
Old 04-03-2005, 11:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 335i Sedan

I was @ he NYC international Auto show yesterday, and as a minimalist I can truly come to appreciate the interior of BMW much more. I'll describe some of the interiors of the cars I was in yesterday.

BMW 525i-loved the Dash setup just incredibly simple and to the point no buttons all over the place. I was disappointed with the back seats though, I felt thrown in there, like a little child. I guess that might also be a good thing since there was ample head room but I don't really have any tall friends! loll but it's not like I'm going to be seating there often when I do own my 1st BMW.

X3- more spacious than I thought, still don't like the design on the outside unless it's the 3.0 engine with the better wheels in place.

Acura TL-loved exterior design but interior design IMHO a disaster, it looks like a roller coaster ride with all the bright different colors! I was quite shocker NO uniformity @ all. I guess it's for adults who still have those toddler instincts of loving bright lights, loll.

Acura RL-this is one car I absolutely despised off until I saw it yesterday, very pleasing to look @! Interior is the same thing as the TL although not as childish. I didn't like the fact that you had to reach forward to change the "I-Drive" sort of controller. Now I don't exactly how I'll feel when I actually drive both a BMW with an iDrive compared to the contraption in this car. I liked the rear seats I could actually see out the windows!! lol

Infiniti M35/45-OMG i hate this car, it just doesn't do it for me, quite ugly. Nothing goes 2gether, expect for the leather seats and interior wood trims, quite exquisite! I hated the dash, with it's spilt level view. it was soo high and so weird. The multimedia controller thing is terrible, you always have to lean forward to change anything with the big button sitting stark in the middle of the dashboard. The exterior is quite ugly too! The rear bench was much to my liking though.

G35- I actually enjoyed this car, it is a more finished car than it's bigger sibling. Everything "goes" together, more harmonious, a car I would seriously take a look @ if I were looking for the compact sports sedan!

GS300-one of the few surprises of the day, quite a beautiful car men, I was shocked! the only thing that bothered me about the exterior was the back where it looked liked a cleaner design of the nissan maxima. Rear bench seats was awesome, just as my sister's old GS. I was quite confused with all the buttons in the dashboard and men that touch screen isn't any-good. I mean granted thousands of folks had already blessed it with their filth ridden finger but never the less it was a soar taste for me.

LS430-Now this is a luxiorious Interior men, leather never felt so good on my butt, plush plush leather. did i say plush leather yet? cuz the dashboard looked liked like S-class interior hit by a tornado, buttons jus all over the place! Unbelieveable!! Why so many buttons????? why? my Lord? why! I couldn't even have been bothred by it, I got out just as soon as I got in! well maybe just a little bit longer, goes know when BMW will get leather that good in their cars! it was GWEAT!!

I didn't waste my time with tri-star bandits, I already know I love their interior appointments with the button-laden dashboards!

All in all it was a fun day, I suggest that you have to see the M5 in real life before you can truly apperciate it, even the pictures I took yesterday were quite disappointing to look @ after i saw it in real life, awh men I wanted to bring out my AK-47, and drive home with that car! lmao
Old 04-07-2005, 07:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

I just got a chance to read the article. It doesn't appear that the 530i tested had the Sport Package and hence, most likely not AS. Can anyone with the dead-tree edition confirm if there's a list of options printed?

Thanks.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by UUronL' date='Apr 7 2005, 08:29 AM
I just got a chance to read the article.? It doesn't appear that the 530i tested had the Sport Package and hence, most likely not AS.? Can anyone with the dead-tree edition confirm if there's a list of options printed?

Thanks.
[snapback]112439[/snapback]
From my read, the low placing was all about the engine which was praised for refinement etc but clearly lost out on horses compared to the others. They did mention the steering and the fact that AS "seemed like the bionic steering of old", with the rider that maybe they were getting used to AS or (as I think is the case) the software changes have transformed AS for the better since its initial implementation. So the car did likely have AS and on that basis probably had sport. The tested car did not have the updated 06 engine, they also strongly hinted that the new engine (or a switch to the V8) would have changed the finishing order.
Old 04-07-2005, 04:01 PM

BMW should have put the new inline 6 with 258 bhp in the 2004 to 2005 530i from the onset!
Old 04-07-2005, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

This month's Automobile (May 2005) did a similar comparison with the Acura RL, Audi A6 4.2 Quattro, BMW 545i (no sport pkg), Cadillac STS, Infiniti M45, Jaguar S-type 4.2, Lexus GS430, and Mercedes-Benz E500.

Here's what they said about the 545i:
Originally Posted by Automobile Magazine' date=' May 2005
The BMW 545i is the car that everyone identifies with fast driving.? Although most
enthusiasts review this car only when it?s equipped with the massive wheels and
stiff-legged suspension of the pricey sport package, we?ve decided to try out the civilian
version at a more affordable price.? We?re sorry we did.? The V-8 is wickedly strong, and
the engine seems able to unleash a thunderclap of power at any rpm.? The trouble is that
it?s hard to get a handle on it.? The effort of the variable-ratio active steering goes light
once you move the steering off center, and the chassis floats just as the front end heels
over.? Gillies says, ?It feels as if BMW is using all this steering technology to enhance the
driving experience without realizing it often isolates you from feeling what?s going on with
the chassis and tires.?
In the summary paragraphs, they loosely (subjectively) rank them as follows:

Originally Posted by Automobile Magazine' date=' May 2005
Sorting out the winners from the losers in a comparison of sedans like these calls for
excellence across the spectrum.? We want a completely premium driving experience, and
we don?t want to make any hard choices about comfort, practicality, or price.? We want it
all, and we?re not ashamed to ask for it.

The Acura RL is the most virtuous car here, but, as Lerner notes, ?It?s still in the
near-luxury class, without the grunt or gravitas to compete with its rivals.?? The BMW
545i is terrifically fast, but it suffers from a mixed performance that doesn?t live up to the
price, and so it becomes what Lerner describes as ?the good, the bad, and the ugly.?? The
Cadillac STS?s disappointments are amplified by its stratospheric price, with $19,000 in
options.? The Infiniti M45 promises much, but, as Lerner says, ?The standards have
changed since the Infiniti planners benchmarked the M45.?? The jaguar S-type
unexpectedly wins us over, proving to be a great car for daily driving, but it still needs to
shine a little brighter in quality before it becomes an elite ride.

For us, the Mercedes-Benz E500 is certainly of the elite.? As Gillies says, ?After a strange
hiatus, we have a Benz that feels the way a Benz should.? It?s solid, planted, and poised,
and it doesn?t make any excuses for being a German luxury car.?? We rate the Lexus
GS430 just a notch higher than the Mercedes, because it maintains its standard of
extraordinary refinement in a package that drives with captivating enthusiasm.? ?The GS
should finally get Lexus the respect it deserves,? says Lerner, ?because it competes with
the European marques in terms of emotion, ?lan, and prestige.

We are surprised that our three days of driving have brought us to see the Audi A6 4.2
Quattro as the right car to drive.? We?ve grown accustomed to thinking of any Audi as a
nearly-there car, but the A6 delivers such extraordinary satisfaction in every aspect of
driving that we find it irresistible.? Gillies says, ?It is both beautiful and bang up-to-date,
proving that being at the cutting edge doesn?t mean missing the mark.? It feels bored at 80
mph.?? Johnson notes, ?It isn?t a superstar in any single category, but it possesses such a
high level of excellence in all areas that it deserves the gold medal.?? Sherman says simply,
?I would happily live with it.?
They go on to praise the A6 some more, etc.

Quick Reply: Car and Driver sports lux comparison