Press Articles & Your Comments Post links to 5 Series related magazine articles along with your commentary.

Bimmer Magazine

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 09:12 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545 Sport Week 9

makes you wonder how long BMW will continue subsidizing CCA with the new car rebates with all that negativity? Well, I would imagine they are giving out a lot of rebates, which means that the general CCA population does like the car and as someone mentioned, its the editors and club officers that are old timers driving e30's.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Apr 7 2005, 09:02 PM
I just noticed that Pennetta has an letter in the April 2005 Roundel praising the SMG on his E60.? Also, there is a letter called "Get over it, you brats" telling the "spoiled brat" Bangle bashers to "get over it!"

After flipping through the magazine quickly, there is a side-bar article about active steering on the E90 and they say it's now something they like...
[snapback]112715[/snapback]
Yes, after my rantings last night, I went back to actually read all the letters and saw Pennetta's letter! Sorry, but I had seen the bad Photoshop picture and associated letter and I didn't get to the rest...
Old 04-08-2005, 04:25 AM
Members

My Ride: 528i

The Roundel is biased and, while they might publish some positive letters and comments, most are negative. It gets a little tiresome.

I agree that we should just say, "Get over it.", but it is probably time for us to "get over it" as well. After all, who is really being injured? We get to drive our E60s while the Bangle Bashers are stuck in a time warp with old designs, old technology and old thinking.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:01 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

That photoshop picture was about as bad as it gets...what a joke!

I think it's important to remember that there are probably many happy Bangle-design owners that are members of the club who read Roundel but don't bother to write letters, etc. Obviously, there is an editorial bias -- it seems that if it's not a 2002, they don't think it's worthy. iDrive and Bangle have obviously stirred up some controversy but I think in the end, it's always the haters that take the time to write letters, etc. while the rest of us sit back and laugh.

I still think it would be great if we not only had more letters from forum members printed but also it would be nice to see a mention or two of our e60.net URL. This month, even bimmerfest.com got a mention...
Old 04-08-2005, 05:07 AM
Senior Members

I too just got sick of reading it. It feels to me like a continual rehash of old school vs. new school. Old school: (exactly as kscarrol stated) 30 yr BMW drivers who would be happy if they still just built the 2002 and nothing more. New school: "newer" BMW drivers, people who can actually use a computer, are not terrified of things we don't understand and when we find something that is different but better we embrace it rather than shun its differences. I suspect 99% of the people bashing the e60 in Roundel don't even know what a board like this is much less that enthusiasts are here enjoying the car.

Life is too short. F*ck em.
Old 04-09-2005, 10:28 PM
Contributors

Here was my reply. When I can find the article that I replied to I will post it. I thought I still had the article but I am still looking.

Bimmer Magazine-scan0001.jpg
Old 04-09-2005, 11:33 PM
Members

My Ride: 525D with M-Sport Package (M-rear spoiler incl.) - Manual Drive - Carbon black - amethyst leather (2 tone) - Summer: styling 128 rims (245/35 R19Y - 275/30 R19Y on Michelin PS2) - Winter: styling 135M rims (245/40/18ZR on Dunlop M3 SP Winter Sport)- Logic7 - Nav.Syst.Prof. - bluetooth - xenon - adapt. headl.- PDC - Sun Protection Glass - Through Load Syst. - M5 mirrors - Chrome Grill - Extended Inter. Light Package - Front Seat Heating and...the amazing floormats

Originally Posted by kigerka' date='Apr 10 2005, 08:28 AM
Here was my reply.? When I can find the article that I replied to I will post it.? I thought I still had the article but I am still looking.

Attachment 6516
[snapback]113558[/snapback]
Great reply, kigerka.

Your response is very clear and factual. That's why they have included it.

They should have given Roundel an 'E60 for dummies' version. I guess it's mainly a generation thing, so I don't wanna criticize that too much.
However, the smart ones from that generation will realise it's perhaps their lack of insight or other shortcoming instead of the car's.
Old 04-10-2005, 04:43 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by kigerka' date='Apr 10 2005, 08:28 AM
Here was my reply.? When I can find the article that I replied to I will post it.? I thought I still had the article but I am still looking.
[snapback]113558[/snapback]
Old 04-11-2005, 09:19 AM
Members

My Ride: 528i

Hey, Kigerka, great job on the reply.

Unfortunately, I-Drive bashing has become the last refuge of the uninformed or lazy reviewer. Case in point is a review of the E60 that appeared on April 8 in my local newspaper, NEWSDAY.

The reviewer, Tom Incantalupo, praises the E60 as one of the great sport sedans in the world except.......

"Ergonomics is a problem in this car, though, and the culprit is BMW's controversial "iDrive" joystick-based central control system that was intended to simplify the operation of a complex car and eliminate a dashboard festooned with switches. To an extent, iDrive accomplished that. And the system was simplified in the '04 (BMW prefers the word "evolved") 5 Series cars.

But many of what should be simple adjustments, such as a change in airflow mode, remain distracting multistep processes that require nudging and pushing and twirling the iDrive stick. It's not a deal-breaker, just a nuisance. This driver is hoping BMW evolves iDrive into a trash can next time around."

Here's some advice; READ THE MANUAL, TOM.

These so-called experts ought to understand they have a responsibility to actually know something about the product they are reviewing. Even if it takes a little effort.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:44 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Wilchwitz' date='Apr 11 2005, 06:19 PM
Hey, Kigerka, great job on the reply.

Unfortunately, I-Drive bashing has become? the last refuge of the uninformed or lazy reviewer.? Case in point is a review of the E60 that appeared on April 8 in my local newspaper, NEWSDAY.

The reviewer, Tom Incantalupo, praises the E60 as one of the great sport sedans in the world except.......

"Ergonomics is a problem in this car, though, and the culprit is BMW's controversial "iDrive" joystick-based central control system that was intended to simplify the operation of a complex car and eliminate a dashboard festooned with switches. To an extent, iDrive accomplished that. And the system was simplified in the '04 (BMW prefers the word "evolved") 5 Series cars.

But many of what should be simple adjustments, such as a change in airflow mode, remain distracting multistep processes that require nudging and pushing and twirling the iDrive stick. It's not a deal-breaker, just a nuisance. This driver is hoping BMW evolves iDrive into a trash can next time around."

Here's some advice; READ THE MANUAL, TOM.?

These so-called experts ought to understand they have a responsibility to actually know something about the product they are reviewing.? Even if it takes a little effort.
[snapback]114152[/snapback]
I completely agree with you. It is bad how they do not take the time to learn about the product in which they are reviewing.

Quick Reply: Bimmer Magazine