Press Articles & Your Comments Post links to 5 Series related magazine articles along with your commentary.

Autoweek STS vs. 545i

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 08:05 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW M-Power

Well... got my latest issue of Autoweek last night and long story short. Its your typical BMW idrive/Bangle Bashing. <_<

Yeah, they hated the i-drive and thought the HUD in car is gimmicky. It was clear to me that the testers made up their mind before they got the car on the i-drive issue and didn't spend more than 30 secs using the i-drive.

They loved the STS on the looks and functionality and just about everything else

At the end, 545i won but not before they gave it a final kick on the i-drive issue. So its fair to say they were relunctant to give the 545i the upper hand but the STS didn't have a fighting chance once we get beyond the parking lot view of the car, and the cars started to move.

I will be writing them a letter and tell'em to wake up to the 21st century.

cheeers,

beewang
Old 03-03-2005, 08:06 AM
Senior Members

Bee - whats with the Sauber's, aka the Blue Ferrari's?

PdB
Old 03-03-2005, 08:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW M-Power

Originally Posted by Bokke' date='Mar 3 2005, 11:06 AM
Bee - whats with the Sauber's, aka the Blue Ferrari's??

PdB
My man!! and I thought you were an F1 fan

Here ya go Mr. Rip Vanwinkle

cheers,

beewang
Old 03-03-2005, 12:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

Is the article available on line anywhere?
Old 03-03-2005, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Usually they'll put it up on the Autoweek website but they wait a few days so as not to beat the home delivery to subscribers, etc.

Here's a few interesting articles about BMW from last week:
http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=101843

http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=101850
Old 03-03-2005, 12:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by beewang' date='Mar 3 2005, 12:05 PM
Well... got my latest issue of Autoweek last night and long story short. Its your typical BMW idrive/Bangle Bashing. <_<

Yeah, they hated the i-drive and thought the HUD in car is gimmicky. It was clear to me that the testers made up their mind before they got the car on the i-drive issue and didn't spend more than 30 secs using the i-drive.

They loved the STS on the looks and functionality and just about everything else

At the end, 545i won but not before they gave it a final kick on the i-drive issue. So its fair to say they were relunctant to give the 545i the upper hand but the STS didn't have a fighting chance once we get beyond the parking lot view of the car, and? the cars started to move.

I will be writing them a letter and tell'em to wake up to the 21st century.

cheeers,

beewang
[snapback]96635[/snapback]
Whats an STS? Is it a cadilac?
Old 03-03-2005, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Yes...
Old 03-03-2005, 04:44 PM

Red face

Still Trying to Sell
Old 03-03-2005, 04:52 PM
Senior Members

Bee - I did not think it was official! Are they really running BMW's!

T-minus 1 hour to the first practice.....
Old 03-03-2005, 09:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by beewang' date='Mar 3 2005, 09:05 AM
Yeah, they hated the i-drive? It was clear to me that the testers made up their mind before they got the car on the i-drive issue and didn't spend more than 30 secs using the i-drive.

[snapback]96635[/snapback]
Just curious if anyone has seen what the press thinks of the ACURA RLs ergonomics and I-Drive equivalent.

My mother got one last week and I was truly expecting to see a system that was going to put BMWs I-drive to shame. I thought the Japanese did this better and that Honda was the ergonomic king. Wrong.

The system takes as long, if not a longer learning curve. the Navigation map was less clear, and not nearly as obvious. EG. There equivalent of Map, direction of travel is something far more obscure.

They have a Wheel like the BMW but still have buttons all over the place for Input and Cancel and MAP and Menu etc. For what? Adding destinations is the same process only with the option of using voice commands. ....And they too take 15 seconds to boot before showing a lawyer screen.

The voice command system requires you to push the prompt button for every command, unlike ours which beeps after asking a question so you can just answer. This i found particularly irritating.

Finally their Hands Free Bluetooth link sucks.

There is no such thing as Address book transfer. You store each number using voice commands into a phonebook that is independant of the phone. It cannot be displayed on the screen. You can only call a number by voice. So if you have voice recognition problems, good luck.

I can only comment positively on the fact that the system was responsive.. No sporadic 2-3 second delays when turning the wheel. Also the sound quality of the HF link was excellent. No echo whatsoever at any volume.

I welcomed the cockpit of my E60 and have developed a new found respect for the engineers that designed the system. BMW Just get the bugs worked out and you can give the Japanses a run for their money even in this arena.

Quick Reply: Autoweek STS vs. 545i