Other BMW Models Talk about all the other BMW models here.

Nightvision on 3 series from 5 series?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 10:10 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it possible to get the Nightvision that the 5 series has in a 335xi or 335i? Can't one of those features from the 5 series be taken and installed at the dealer? If yes, would it cost a lot? I like those features but don't want to spend the extra money on a 5 series.

I am ready to buy in the summer, or maybe I will wait for a 2009 if there is good reason to.

Can someone post a video of them using Nightvision? Do you find it useful?

Thanks!
Old 01-02-2008, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by computersoc' post='513133' date='Jan 3 2008, 02:10 AM
Is it possible to get the Nightvision that the 5 series has in a 335xi or 335i? Can't one of those features from the 5 series be taken and installed at the dealer? If yes, would it cost a lot? I like those features but don't want to spend the extra money on a 5 series.

I am ready to buy in the summer, or maybe I will wait for a 2009 if there is good reason to.

Can someone post a video of them using Nightvision? Do you find it useful?

Thanks!
I don't think it would be too easy to install night vision on a 3 if it wasn't something that the factory offered for that model.

Take a look at the following for information about how much I'm learning to like the night vision option -- I'm now at the point where I miss it on other cars and I'd order it again for sure on my next car...

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=493079
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=501180
Old 01-03-2008, 04:20 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by computersoc' post='513133' date='Jan 3 2008, 02:10 AM
This is one of several features that won't trickle down to the 3er for several reasons including no space to put the unit and the car isn't designed for it. Also, it's a more expensive feature that BMW is unlikely to put in a lower-cost model.

It's the type of feature that might end up in the next 3er but that also depends on how well it is selling in the current 5er and 6er.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:34 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

One thing about the current Night Vision that I don't like is its use of Infra-red, which comes with an inherent flaw. In order for IR to work effectively, everything needs to be heated up by a general heat source (the sun). Different objects absorb and dissipate heat at different rates, and this difference gives us the IR image. Which BTW is very sharp.

The problem is when there is no general heat source (cloudy or overcast day). All ojects are closer to the ambient temperature, thus the night vision is very unclear.

In short, Night Vision works better on nights after sunny days compared to nights after cloudy ones. This is what I've experienced since I got my car. It would be interesting to see if these differences still exist during the warmer months.

I think a better NV system would be one that enhances light instead of detecting heat.

Rudy's comments are spot on - you have to learn to glance at the image, not stare at it in order to appreciate it. But this can be a problem if you don't have good peripheral vision or don't like to use your rear and side view mirrors. This option would be so much better if it displayed the image on the windshield near the HUD.

Just my thoughts......