Other BMW Models Talk about all the other BMW models here.

The new (soon to come) 3series convertible

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

BMW 3 series coupe convertible with hard top will come in 2006.
Source (German)
Attached Thumbnails The new (soon to come) 3series convertible-bmw_3er_coup_cabrio_450.jpg  
Old 07-26-2004, 03:17 PM
Senior Members

Tidy, very tidy
Old 07-26-2004, 08:58 PM
Contributors

That is sweet. I like the side design a lot
Old 07-27-2004, 04:18 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Looks nice!

Funny how these radical designs look "normal" and more traditional designs look old now, isn't it?
Old 07-27-2004, 05:15 AM
Super Moderator

It must be turning the die-hard e39 fans crazy to see more and more cars going this design direction.
I love it.

I love the idea of a hard top convertible!
Old 07-27-2004, 06:25 AM
JDN
Contributors

Yeah, don't you just bleed for JamesS3, Tony, the Bracq fan, ///MGT, the funny nosed goblin, and a hoard of others over on RF. I do not believe they will be able to handle this turn of events. Pity.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

This might one of those test balloons...
Auto Motor und Sport announces this will come, but I haven't find anybody at BMW who confirmed it yet.
So this might be a test to see how the ppl react to it...!?!

But it's very interesting, that this is the actual look of the new 3series...

I wish they are making this hard top convertible!
Old 07-31-2004, 06:13 AM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

I went over to roadfly to see the reaction on the E46 and E90 boards...naturally, a bunch of people saying the EXACT same stuff that's been said every single time there's ever been a model change.

For those of you who haven't been around roadfly much, you might not know this story, but I even went back on USENET and found people bashing the E39 as an ugly "Ford Taurus front, old Acura Legend back" abomination, that BMW had gotten totally away from its roots, etc. I even found references to people talking about how *E28* was the last "true" 5 Series, and E34 totally departed from BMW's "nautical" heritage for trendy garbage.

I tried to explain that only the rise of the internet, and highly focused messageboards like these, has inevitably exposed, and given an avenue of expression for, anyone and everyone's opinion about new designs. Look at what has happened with every single new model that's come out: it's been completely trashed on roadfly. They use Bangle as an excuse, but it doesn't matter who's at the design helm: whenever there's a new model change, it is simply inevitable that there will be a collection of people who don't like it, all claiming to be BMW loyalists who've been rudely abandoned. This has been true since the beginning of time. So what's different now? Before, you'd have to sit down and hand-write or type a letter to Roundel, or perhaps a mainstream non-BMW focused magazine and bitch. And the likelihood of any large number of like-minded people even seeing it was low. Now, you gather up every E39 (or whatever) enthusiast on earth, dump them all in one place where you can instantly and anonymously say whatever you want, and they actually think the internet has nothing to do with this? Roadfly's anonymous nature makes it worse, apparently bringing out the worst in everyone.

In 2011, we'll see the exact same thing with whatever the new 5 Series is. It's funny: anytime the next major model is revealed, just visit the Roadfly forums for the previous one, and you're guaranteed to find a bunch of people trolling and bitching about how "fugly" it is, and how they're never buying another BMW again.

I'm just glad we have this forum.
Old 07-31-2004, 06:21 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Well said das!

The usenet archives sort of prove the theory that the E60 and other Bangle designs are ahead of their time. To me, that's the whole reason these designs last as long as they do. A mainstream, "normal" design today gets old fast. A progressive, "radical" design sometimes takes some getting used to but usually becomes generally accepted and "normal looking" after some time.

The thing that still amazes me the most is how old the E39 is looking to me these days. I still think the design is/was beautiful, classic, and timeless but each time I see one now, it looks old and boring!
Old 07-31-2004, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by das' date='Jul 31 2004, 04:13 PM
...anytime the next major model is revealed, just visit the Roadfly forums for the previous one, and you're guaranteed to find a bunch of people trolling and bitching about how "fugly" it is, and how they're never buying another BMW again.

I'm just glad we have this forum.
First of all, das, you are sooooo right !
And I thank you very much for creating this forum here. It is so much fun and so usefull. I am better informed than some ppl at BMW and waaaaay better than my dealer since I'm reading this forum!!!

I remember what happened when I was at school and MB decided to bring out the new E-class. It was just about the same.
I just don't understand why the ppl are starting flame wars... For me it doesn't make sensse.
If you don't like it, why are you posting on the e60 forum then. It doesn't help you and BMW doesn't care, because it's allways been like that and they know it goes away...
I can't understand those i_i_ts...

However, glad to be here!!!

Quick Reply: The new (soon to come) 3series convertible