Other BMW Models Talk about all the other BMW models here.

The New 7

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 03:58 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

Imagine a vehicle with the pep of a 3-series, the sporty feeling of the 5 and the comfort and luxury of a 7, and that's perhaps the best way for me to describe my experience with the new 7er this week. I test drove that puppy for over an hour and couldn't get enough of it. From the improved cockpit, the amazing dash, the TT V8 pupmping out 400hp and the luxury that belongs in a first class cabin == this baby is unreal.

I don't know how many of you E60 owners like me are in the market but Im tellin ya...drive this before you buy anything else.. It WILL make you think long and hard about your decision. The car I drove had the sports package with the integrated steering [the rear wheels turn 3 degrees when making turns] and boy, changing lanes felt like the car was being picked up by a hand and guided into another lane... Very cool. I am totally sold..

Now...if only we could work on that bottom line!!! 96K and that was without the lane departure warning system!!! BTW-BMW launches an AWD version in December, or that's what the SA told me!!!
Old 03-21-2009, 10:41 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60

Originally Posted by subarashi' post='823281' date='Mar 22 2009, 07:58 AM
Imagine a vehicle with the pep of a 3-series, the sporty feeling of the 5 and the comfort and luxury of a 7, and that's perhaps the best way for me to describe my experience with the new 7er this week. I test drove that puppy for over an hour and couldn't get enough of it. From the improved cockpit, the amazing dash, the TT V8 pupmping out 400hp and the luxury that belongs in a first class cabin == this baby is unreal.

I don't know how many of you E60 owners like me are in the market but Im tellin ya...drive this before you buy anything else.. It WILL make you think long and hard about your decision. The car I drove had the sports package with the integrated steering [the rear wheels turn 3 degrees when making turns] and boy, changing lanes felt like the car was being picked up by a hand and guided into another lane... Very cool. I am totally sold..

Now...if only we could work on that bottom line!!! 96K and that was without the lane departure warning system!!! BTW-BMW launches an AWD version in December, or that's what the SA told me!!!

Did you get the chance to compare the new7 against the MB S-Series? I'm curious to see which one would win an A/B test......
Old 03-22-2009, 02:53 AM
Senior Members

I'm sure that the BMW's driving dynamics will be superior to the MBs, but I've got to tell you - BMW's styling over the last few years leaves something to be desired. I wasn't crazy about the "avant-garde" look of the last 7er, but this one is just boring, especially compared to the svelte S-class. It's an imposing looking automobile for sure, but beautiful it ain't.

Most disconserting for me was that after I looked at one close up at my dealership one day, I drove behind another one on the street the next day. When it stopped at a light and I pulled closer, I realized I was following a Lexus LS, not a BMW 7er.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:42 AM
Senior Members

I dig also the new 7. Front is very appealing and aggressive. The back seats in the L version are fantastic and so is the finish.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

Originally Posted by BigMike' post='823526' date='Mar 22 2009, 02:41 AM
Did you get the chance to compare the new7 against the MB S-Series? I'm curious to see which one would win an A/B test......
I drove the MB-S Series Xmas time last year when they had a promo on leases. I am not an MD fan but still went in with an open mind. Stylistically, the MB is much better looking at first impression than the new 7. However, the steering and drive feels "numb" and not sport like a BMW. I thought this new 7 would be the same way but man -- I was TOTALLY surprised. It handles like a 5 in many ways, in some aspects--even better than a 5er...

All I can say is go and test drive one. You will see what I am saying!
Old 03-22-2009, 07:51 AM
Senior Members

Agree...but remember..this is the exact same talk that we heard when the E60 was launched... I remember seeing an op-ed about how "BMW is the only carmaker that could design a car with eyebrows!"

Fast forward several years and here we are........................
Old 04-24-2009, 04:26 PM
Senior Members

Ok...so I drove this puppy again today as a loaner (have it in my garage).

First off...its the Managers car which they loaned to me cos they know I love it and Im thinkin of one seriously. Secondly, I am thinking of putting in an order when the dealership opens on Monday!!!!!!!!!

What say all of you????? Pros v Cons??????
Old 04-24-2009, 04:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by subarashi' post='858032' date='Apr 24 2009, 08:26 PM
Ok...so I drove this puppy again today as a loaner (have it in my garage).

First off...its the Managers car which they loaned to me cos they know I love it and Im thinkin of one seriously. Secondly, I am thinking of putting in an order when the dealership opens on Monday!!!!!!!!!

What say all of you????? Pros v Cons??????
It sure does seem like a lovely car with a killer engine.

But, at least to me, that amount of mass is a major downside in handling. It can't possibly have the turn in crispness and tossability of a 5 Series because of its much greater mass.

I love crisp handling so the 7 Series is not for me. But if you are looking for the best-driving car in the giant sedan class, you can't go wrong.

You may want to wait a little while given that the first year of many new models has more problems than later years after they've worked the bugs out.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:44 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by sdg1871' post='858038' date='Apr 24 2009, 08:33 PM
It sure does seem like a lovely car with a killer engine.

But, at least to me, that amount of mass is a major downside in handling. It can't possibly have the turn in crispness and tossability of a 5 Series because of its much greater mass.

I love crisp handling so the 7 Series is not for me. But if you are looking for the best-driving car in the giant sedan class, you can't go wrong.

You may want to wait a little while given that the first year of many new models has more problems than later years after they've worked the bugs out.
Totally agree with you - however, know this...

The sport pkg on the 7 has this new Integrated Steering system that turns the rear wheels 3 degrees when making turns. I swear, changing lanes in this car is SMOOTHER than my 545i..... Feels as if the car simply "glides" into the other lane....hard to describe unless you drive it but it makes a huge difference. When you park, however, it's not as easy..that I'll give you!
Old 04-29-2009, 12:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by subarashi' post='862971' date='Apr 29 2009, 02:44 PM
Totally agree with you - however, know this...

The sport pkg on the 7 has this new Integrated Steering system that turns the rear wheels 3 degrees when making turns. I swear, changing lanes in this car is SMOOTHER than my 545i..... Feels as if the car simply "glides" into the other lane....hard to describe unless you drive it but it makes a huge difference. When you park, however, it's not as easy..that I'll give you!
I am sure that the new 7, just as with the old 7, is the best-handling car in its class. But the issue in terms of nibleness in handling is weight. The 7 cannot be more nimble than the 5 because it much larger and weighs so much more. For the same reason, the 3 Series is a more nimble handler than the 5. No gadget can totally fix that. But, gadgets and advancements like the one you describe can give the new 7 a big time edge over the handling of the MB S-Class, Lexus LS and Audi A8.