Other BMW Models Talk about all the other BMW models here.

M3 competition pack

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 06:44 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone watch a recent episode of top gear uk where jeremy clarkson reviews the M3 coupe with the optional competition pack?
he said it wasn't worth the extra money, and that the standard M3 is better. just wondering any of you out there with a M3, with he optional competition pack? ...what's your view on this?

review at 2:33 - 4:44
Old 02-27-2011, 07:15 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Much discussed over on M3posts... Ultimately the comp pkg is mostly cosmetic. I think it was worth it for the wheels alone and if you wanted to get the 19 inch optional wheels, the comp pkg is only an additional $500 or so. For that you get a modest drop and some slightly different software...
Old 02-27-2011, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

ZCP is basically more cosmetic than performance. But JC isn't the be all and end all of car guru's IMO, entertaining, but not always "spot on".

That being said. the ZCP adds:
  • Spring rates are the same, but the springs are shorter (for the lower stance).
  • "Shock damping was adjusted to cope with the lower ride height, with the changes made primarily to rebound damping rates rather than compression."
  • EDC Sport mode is modified. BMWNA M Brand Manager Larry Koch explains, "The Sport mode before ZCP was locked at 75% of the way to full stiff. It still has that as a default but is now variable like the Comfort and Normal modes." This apparently makes Sport mode more useful on the not-the-smoothest tracks.
  • Electronic modifications to DSC in M Dynamic Mode. "Unique to the M3 ZCP is a revised Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) that allows larger slip angles ? i.e. more fun ? in its sportiest M Dynamic Mode (MDM) setting. Instead of cutting engine power to maintain the car's direction, as in DSC, DTC will only apply individual brakes to keep the wheels from spinning excessively."
  • 19" Y-spoke wheels (brochure says "forged", but most say they are cast)

When configuring your M3: non ZCP M3's, if you were to order EDC and the 19" forged wheels, the difference between this and ZCP is $500. So, for $500 more you can get all the above. Seemed like a no brainer to me.I'm more than happy with my decision. If I were planning on modding heavily and/or possibly making this car a pure track car, I'd most likely skip edc and the 19" wheels altogether anyway.

If you really have some time to burn, you can talk a stroll thru M3posts and read ALL the threads regarding ZCP vs. non-ZCP.