Other BMW Models Talk about all the other BMW models here.

M-Roadster: Still not Here

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 06:10 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Hi:

I can't even remember how long ago I ordered my M Roadster. Production was finished on July 16, and it still has not shipped. I am getting a bit queasy about accepting the car. Here are my reasons.

First, the author of an article in the latest Roundel stated that up to $7,500 dealer incentives had been available on the car in the fall (presumably last fall). Now, the latest Motor Trend says "with the M [Roadster/Coupe] model discontinued for the year, what's so wrong with settling for a 306-hp twin-turbo alternative.

It looks to me like perhaps the TT will be available in late 2008 or 2009. That's not too big a problem even if true because I plan to lease my ordered car, assuming it ever gets here, for only 2 years.

My main problem is that, while I got a good deal, my discount was nothing like $7,500. In this regard, I would not be happy to lease my car and find that the $7,500 discount is back on existing cars a few months later--or almost immediately.

I was a "victim" of BMW's campaign of silence when the 550i was introduced shortly after I leased my 545i for three years and don't want to be caught off guard by BMW again. I learned to check out what the forums "know" since later I found out the E60 knew what was going.

Does anyone have any information to share? I would be very grateful. Please note that I am aware that the TT is supposed to be in the car in 2010--with the new M3 engine being a possibility in 2010 or later.

Best to all,

Z

Edit: I am getting more suspicious. I just found the information below about the transition from the original M Roadster to the next one. Is there a pattern, or quasi-pattern, here?

"How many versions of the M roadster are there?
The original M roadsters, with engines from the E36 M3, were built through June of 2000 in three different versions: European-specification (S50 engine) in both left- and right-hand drive, and North American-specification (S52 engine) in left-hand drive.

After having been discontinued for more than six months, a revised M roadster entered production in February, 2001. All three versions (European-spec/LHD, European-spec/RHD and North American-spec) utilize the S54 motor from the E46 M3."
Old 07-24-2008, 06:47 PM
Senior Members

I almost got a 2007 Z4M coupe end of last year. There was people getting up to $14,000 of msrp, roadster/coupe units that had been on the lots all year. The dealers couldn't give them away. Its weird because it is such a great car. The big discounts will happen again end of this year on the 2008 models. It is one of the cars I am considering to get. I had a deal on the table last January, a Black Sapphire 2007 Z4M Coupe msrp for $55,700. I negotiated the price down to $42,405. For some odd reason I walked away from the deal. I figured there will be same discounts next year on 2008's and it will also be the last year for the current body style. I remember reading a deal on bimmerfest last year, the member got the cap cost down to $38,000 on a 2007 in December. Just insane, dealer just wanted the car off his lot.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Thanks very much. Great info. And, as I read more closely, it looks like the TT will be in the 2009 Z4. I had missed that point before. Where do the monster discounts come from? From the car price books, there is not nearly that much to give. Does BMW do a holdout for the dealers? I am thinking more about letting the car go.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:07 PM
Members

I honestly don't think the huge discounts will be there. It all depends on what is on the lots.

With production stopping the inventory may be kept in balance.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:13 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bhorne' post='632129' date='Jul 24 2008, 10:07 PM
I honestly don't think the huge discounts will be there. It all depends on what is on the lots.

With production stopping the inventory may be kept in balance.
I see what you're saying, but the Z4M's have never been a large production vehicle. Most dealers carry 2-3 Z4M's on their lots, including last year. There were 2 Z4M's on my local dealers lot for over 6 months last year. Once you start getting into Fall and then winter, the roadsters become very hard to sell.

Though, I would add with the current 0.9% financing its hard to pass that up.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:12 AM
Contributors

You both make good points. I talked to BMW public relations at the Spartenburg factory and got some good info. Their opinion is consistent with what you guys say about the huge discounts. BMW probably won't over produce again and get stuck with so many on lots in cold weather. For the reasons mentioned, and some I haven't mentioned, I probably will cancel on the M Roadster. If I cancel, then I will leave my deposit down for the first TT Z4 to come in, hopefully with a Step. But, I would take a manual. Then, I will leave a deposit on the first new Model M Roadster. The timing should be close to perfect. And, I will end up first with a nice, fast car that gets good mileage and may even have the Step. Then, maybe the M Roadster with the M3 V-8--which also will get good mileage.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 Porsche 911 c2s, 01 BMW 740il, 05 BMW 525i, 06 Acura TSX navi

Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC' post='632171' date='Jul 25 2008, 02:13 AM
I see what you're saying, but the Z4M's have never been a large production vehicle. Most dealers carry 2-3 Z4M's on their lots, including last year. There were 2 Z4M's on my local dealers lot for over 6 months last year. Once you start getting into Fall and then winter, the roadsters become very hard to sell.

Though, I would add with the current 0.9% financing its hard to pass that up.
+ the bmwcca rebate in ur pocket bo$$.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:40 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Znod' post='632672' date='Jul 25 2008, 02:12 PM
You both make good points. I talked to BMW public relations at the Spartenburg factory and got some good info. Their opinion is consistent with what you guys say about the huge discounts. BMW probably won't over produce again and get stuck with so many on lots in cold weather. For the reasons mentioned, and some I haven't mentioned, I probably will cancel on the M Roadster. If I cancel, then I will leave my deposit down for the first TT Z4 to come in, hopefully with a Step. But, I would take a manual. Then, I will leave a deposit on the first new Model M Roadster. The timing should be close to perfect. And, I will end up first with a nice, fast car that gets good mileage and may even have the Step. Then, maybe the M Roadster with the M3 V-8--which also will get good mileage.
Personally, IMHO, you are taking a risk on not getting the same type of car. The latest information I have been reading, Automotive News, states the new roadster will be built in Germany, and will be larger and more luxurious than the current edition. The way BMW releases models, the new Z4 is due sometime in late 09, with the M's, traditionally being about a year behind. If I remember correctly, the Z4M didn't show up until almost two years after the Z4 was introduced.

The other thing I would be concerned about is the engine choices. With the CAFE regulations getting stricter, I have read where BMW may drop the V8 out of the next generation M3, and go back to a I-6 with Turbo's. I know, doesn't make sense, but the CAFE is scary stuff, for enthusiasts.

As the year progress'es, the Z4 M's and MCoupes will dry up very quickly. The latest production figures I have "Automotive News" states that from June 1 - June 26-08, there were 94 Z4 Coupes Produced, and 495 Z4 Roadsters. They do not break out M's, in these figures.

So, if you really like the current car and it's size and performance, then I would go for it. If you can wait until 2010 or 2011, well, you may not get what you were expecting. Just my .04 cents (Inflation)

Regards, Michael