Other BMW Models Talk about all the other BMW models here.

EVO review: X6M

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 09:24 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are expecting to read a raving review on the X6M, well think again. A big suv that defies the laws of physics, not really. Evo was far from impressed.

Link:
http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarrevi...64/bmw_x6m.html

2.5 stars out of 5

"X6M fails to impress like an M-car should on track, feeling unsettled under braking and struggling with understeer."

"...much the same could be said for the ?20K cheaper xDrive50i, which isn't that much slower and sounds like a proper V8. If you want a quick X6, that remains our recommendation. The X6M may be fast, but it's an even worse idea than we feared."
Old 09-18-2009, 07:28 AM
Senior Members

Hmmm makes me feel good in a way, since i didn't wait to jump in on the M after i got the 50i but it doesn't sound right though.... What's happening with the M people?

No more F1, no more M screamers, no more M light cars....is it really no more M?
Old 09-18-2009, 07:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

EVO is, by far, the most performance oriented car magazine and for them to not like the X6M tells me a lot. It's interesting how they do seem to like the standard X6, but not the M. The reasons they gave for this not being a particularly good all-round package mirror my own views on the X6M. I'd still like to drive, one though.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:10 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

EVO might not like the X6M but I've read two other reviews in Motor Trend and Roundel and they both liked it a lot.

I know magazines provide the most comprehensive reviews for cars and can do it in environments that an average Joe can't, like on a track, but then again, most people won't use these cars (SAVs), on tracks anyway. Ultimately, it'll boil down to the intended use of the buyer. I for one, would love to have an X5M...so I can blow the doors of other cars on the road when I'm jamming up to Tahoe or on long family trips to SoCal. =)
Old 09-18-2009, 02:40 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='1011058
EVO might not like the X6M but I've read two other reviews in Motor Trend and Roundel and they both liked it a lot.

I know magazines provide the most comprehensive reviews for cars and can do it in environments that an average Joe can't, like on a track, but then again, most people won't use these cars (SAVs), on tracks anyway. Ultimately, it'll boil down to the intended use of the buyer. I for one, would love to have an X5M...so I can blow the doors of other cars on the road when I'm jamming up to Tahoe or on long family trips to SoCal. =)
I wouldn't expect Motor Trend to give any BMW a bad review, never has happened. Also Roundel review doesn't count, I mean really it is Roundel.

What I took from the article, the X6M is not much better than the xdrive50i. They even said it really isn't much faster. You want a quick, good handling, subtle ride sav just get the xDrive50i. The "M" badge is doing nothing for the model.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:48 PM
Senior Members

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/Search...009-CAR-review/

"no matter how many times BMW might harp on about the X6 M being a true M car. It's not. It's a big, heavy SUV and unfortunately feels it when you start to chuck it about.

Part of the X6 M's problem is just how good the lesser-engined models are to drive. I was all against the X6 when it was first announced, but was seriously impressed when I first drove one. With the X6 M though, I was let down."

"The X6 M doesn't feel as agile as the rest of the range and that's due to the extra weight it's carrying. It tips the scales at 2380kg, 115kg more than the xDrive50i."