Other BMW Models Talk about all the other BMW models here.

The diesels are coming...the diesels are coming! (with videos)

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 03:05 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530xiT

I've been looking forward to the X5 diesel but was disappointed in the estimated EPA mileage figures that were announced (19/25). I was expecting at least 30 MPG highway mileage. I'm getting 27 now with my 530xiT. Even the 335d at 23/33 really isn't that impressive. I thought the European version of this engine was getting much better mileage. I think the mileage difference between gas and diesel will have to be larger than 4 or 5 MPG, or they won't sell. Perhaps the real world mileage difference will be greater. Any comments from those who have this engine in Europe would be appreciated.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:21 PM
Contributors

The real world mileage is so much greater than the numbers that bmw present. Fact is that the combined mpg for individual cars that bmw quote is virtually impossible to reach.

The x5 3.0d gets about 30 mpg (this is what my dad is getting for his x5 e70) on the highway when doing constant 80 mph - if you do something like 55 mph, you can even get 35-38 mpg... City driving (heavy european traffic) results in 22 mpg..

you can dream about such numbers with a petrol engine on a x5...

all us mpgs..
Old 01-08-2008, 02:09 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='514749' date='Jan 7 2008, 10:06 PM
If you try to drive boths cars as you drive a diesel you would be right. Drive the gas engine as it is intended and take advantage of the roughly 50% additional available RPM when compared to the diesel and the outcome may be different. As you said yourself just this morning in another thread on the M3 engine, the additional RPM can substitute for available torque. The 50 to 70 acceleration is a measure that typically represents ability to overtake and that's not something that would normally catch a driver unprepared and the driver of the gas engine would be at liberty to downshift or kickdown first if necessary.
Valid point. But at least to me not once happened to engage in an overtake, missperceive slightly the speed of the car comming towards me and then i just had to push the throttle a bit more and that was it. No kickdown, no stress no hmm. I dunno it may be only an illusion, surely it's a different feeling. Don't get me wrong i'm a petrolhead to the core, but even so i maage to stay somehow objective.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:17 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rhnorb' post='514857' date='Jan 8 2008, 04:05 AM
I've been looking forward to the X5 diesel but was disappointed in the estimated EPA mileage figures that were announced (19/25). I was expecting at least 30 MPG highway mileage. I'm getting 27 now with my 530xiT. Even the 335d at 23/33 really isn't that impressive. I thought the European version of this engine was getting much better mileage. I think the mileage difference between gas and diesel will have to be larger than 4 or 5 MPG, or they won't sell. Perhaps the real world mileage difference will be greater. Any comments from those who have this engine in Europe would be appreciated.
Yes, also a valid point, i got in city traffic 17l/100km that's what 14mpg?! So in a way the diesel fuel economy is out of discussion. Surley it does better than the 3.0i powerplant but the gap gets closer and closer. Disregarding to all producers' efforts to minimize the fuel consumption it seems the overall relative consumtpion/cost increases. The price of the diesel gets closer and closer to the petrol and it's in a way a result of the economic law. Demand for diesel engines increased alot in Europe in the last 10 years and it continues to rise so diesel has to increase this coped with the ongoing increase in the price of global raw petrol.
However prices will start to climb from now on exponentially and probably in 2-3 years double from the present values. Considering this buying a big heavy engine not only seems illogical but almost impossible. But since when human consume has met a logical and predicatable pattern!?

Oh an yess might i add a very important factor...the traffic gets worse and worse from nightmare to hell. Doing 10mile /day from work to home in 1 hour or so. Seriously considering buying a nice bike when the weather starts to get better...bicycle that is...