Other BMW Models Talk about all the other BMW models here.

Confirmed, new X5 M and X6 M with 550 bhp

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 09:01 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

I actually like the idea, these vehicles are wonderful and nimble in Sport form , as ///Ms they will be awesome ......
Old 03-06-2009, 09:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

The only substitute for cubic inches....is MORE cubic inches, BRING THEM ON!!!
Old 03-07-2009, 12:11 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='809171' date='Mar 6 2009, 08:51 AM
A sad, sad day in the history of the M Brand.

AWD, twin turbo, high center of gravity, 5000lbs - hardly the hallmarks of the M Brand.

BMW has screwed the pooch here - you expect these cars from AMG, but not M.
+1 I thought M stands for "motorsport". I guess it stands for "overweight pig soccer mom high horespower suv".

Also the current economy and gas prices go up again. Great thinking BMW.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:12 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 M5, Indi red, Silverstone interior God its good to be back!!! Gone: 2008 X6, Black, Black Nappa, 2007 M5, Black, Full Black Leather, TV's & Playstation's in headrests. Gone: 2001 M5, Black on Black

Excellent! I for one will definately be ordering one, Honestly folks you really need to try a standard X6 to know that the M will really work, Can't wait!
Old 03-07-2009, 12:24 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by distl' post='809948' date='Mar 7 2009, 02:12 AM
Excellent! I for one will definately be ordering one, Honestly folks you really need to try a standard X6 to know that the M will really work, Can't wait!
Standard X6 is worthless, only carries four people. The X6 does not handle better than a standard sedan. I don't see the point of buying an awkward looking, 4-seat suv, that weighs 5,000lbs. The next 5-series will offer the same power plants, better acceleration, better handling, better braking, carry 5 people. If you need a suv, get a real one, its called the X5.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:18 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 M5, Indi red, Silverstone interior God its good to be back!!! Gone: 2008 X6, Black, Black Nappa, 2007 M5, Black, Full Black Leather, TV's & Playstation's in headrests. Gone: 2001 M5, Black on Black

Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC' post='809952' date='Mar 7 2009, 04:24 AM
Standard X6 is worthless, only carries four people. The X6 does not handle better than a standard sedan. I don't see the point of buying an awkward looking, 4-seat suv, that weighs 5,000lbs. The next 5-series will offer the same power plants, better acceleration, better handling, better braking, carry 5 people. If you need a suv, get a real one, its called the X5.
Thats it, its not about needing an suv like everyone else like the X5, its about wanting something different! like the X6. Gaurantee the X6M will handle better than any standard sedan! Will let you Know!
Old 03-07-2009, 04:52 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by distl' post='809961' date='Mar 7 2009, 01:18 PM
Thats it, its not about needing an suv like everyone else like the X5, its about wanting something different! like the X6. Gaurantee the X6M will handle better than any standard sedan! Will let you Know!
Well i kind of agree with this. The X6 with all the adaptive drive and DPC handles fantastic for a car of it's size. I am certain that in some occasions (few of them, true, but non the less there are) it out-handles my 5 series with heavy mods. I have yet to try the limits of the car, but on the streets i will not do it.

I threw at it 45 degree corners at 130-140km/h...i was like I was expecting to have to correct it or intervene but no such thing, car was on rails! It can do much more as long as (IMHO) it is driven precisely.

One night when traffic was very very light-to none my X6 50i kept up with a tuned 535d and an Ev0 X on some twisties and on the straights also. I even passed them at one point. And that was in an SUV :wpw:

Jet i really wish you had the eyes to see the masterpiece of this car. It's not just an X5 with less space or accommodation.

You can see here a few technical advantages.

But back to the topic: I too agree that the X6M and X5M should not have been made. I mean if Porsche and Mercedes were in this battle with the Turbo and AMGs then so be it, BMW didn't have to prove anything...after all we know which car company led the SUV (or SAV if you like it) market in terms of handling.
The M division would have better focused on M3 CSL or other such cars. True! I also wished for that. BUT if CSL and other such cars truly didn't have a market then in this crisis than maybe offering something more versatile would attract attention, and if that helps BMW financially to get pass the crisis than that's ok by me. As long as they don't make out of this a habit.

I'm more concerned about introducing turbos to real M models like the M3 and M5...than this "Motorsport" X6 version.

PS: IF the X6 M will have close to 550bhp you can say bye bye Porsche Cayenne Turbo S, and frankly bye bye anything. That car even stock will put problems even tot he M3/M5 but the thought of tuning (+600bhp) is like DOPE.

PSS: This car will probably appeal to countries with low road infrastructure. I mean I also want an M3 but then i think what on Earth i'm going to do with it on such bad roads with pot-wholes and no race tracks. Get it?
Old 03-07-2009, 07:57 AM
Members

well i really loved my M5's but with our roads here never really got to use it as often as i would have liked i.e pot holes and crappy surfaces, So for me, the X6M will be the best compromise to not having an M5. So maybe it is the fact the you guys tend to have far superior road's over there that it does'nt make sense. But i can't wait!!
Old 03-07-2009, 07:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='809986' date='Mar 7 2009, 05:52 AM
PS: IF the X6 M will have close to 550bhp you can say bye bye Porsche Cayenne Turbo S, and frankly bye bye anything. That car even stock will put problems even tot he M3/M5 but the thought of tuning (+600bhp) is like DOPE.
Right, but it'll be very easy for Porsche to respond if they so choose, the Turbo engine in the Cayenne is massively tunable. With just a few software and hardware tweaks Porsche could easily have a 600+hp engine if they want to go to battle. Porsche will have no trouble matching or beating the handling of the BMW's. The core difference, though, is that all Cayennes are true SUVs - they have proper off road hardware and they can absolutely take the off road punishment (as the TransSiberia Rally can attest). The Cayenne is highly capable on and off road. The X5 really isn't, it's great on road but not really a true SUV in the respect that it's a one trick pony - and the M is likely to take that even further.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by flyingpuck' post='809329' date='Mar 6 2009, 08:05 PM
The only substitute for cubic inches....is MORE cubic inches, BRING THEM ON!!!
We have totally missed the "down sizing" idea for the environment.

Enlighten yourself!

Quick Reply: Confirmed, new X5 M and X6 M with 550 bhp