Other BMW Models Talk about all the other BMW models here.

BMW Sauber Formula 1

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 11:14 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Worldwide there's nothing as high-tech racing as the Formula 1's are, not by far.

It's about time that also this Forum members understands how important the F1
racing tech is for a standard BMW car.

See this for a stater.

Did you know that in '86 a L4 1.5 litre turbo BMW Formula 1 engine did give much more than 1,000 hp!
Old 09-12-2008, 01:28 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 530d XDrive M Sport

I think that most of us know and realize that many of the technologies that make modern cars safer and more pleasant to drive trickled down from F1. Things like traction control, active suspension, stability control, sequential gearboxes with paddle shift were all tested in racing before being transferred to passenger cars. I believe that one of the arguments the leading teams put up when F1's governing body wanted to eliminate certain technologies such as traction control/launch control and active suspension was that F1 was a test bed for new technologies that would make passenger cars safer. Anyhow, we all know that FIA won that contest.

As for engine technology, back it the days of 1.5 liter turbo engines that put out 1000hp, the hp to displacement ratios were astounding. However, these engines were finicky, not very durable and had to be rebuilt after each race. I think FIA put an end to that too... (I may be wrong on the last point.) Although the displacement may have grown, turbos banished and hp reduced, modern F1 cars continue to set new lap records. Wonderful thing chassis development is. And I haven't forgotten about the drivers! Senna vs Hamilton? Prost vs Hakkinen?

It's great you pointed this out. I'm sure some of the people who don't follow racing will find some education in this. However, I think the expression, "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday" has become global~