Other BMW Models Talk about all the other BMW models here.

BMW Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 09:54 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Oct 13 2005, 08:45 AM
P.S. One thing I see people constantly saying against hybrids is the fact that by the time you pay the premium for the technology, it will take up to 10 years to re-coup that in gas savings. The point of buying a hybrid, in MY OPINION, is to reduce the consumption of fossil fuels and be better enviromental stewards, not to save money. A Hybrid is a moral choice, as opposed to a financial one in todays marketplace. In the future, as gas continues to climb in price and hybrid technology get less expensive, that will change.

You are simply shifting the consumption of one form of resource to another. Instead of gasoline, you're consuming electricity, which most likely comes from a coal plant.

Feel better if you want...but don't kid yourself.

It's just like recycling. Recycling actually wastes more energy than it saves. If the entire USA were to stop recycling, and throw away everything instead... in 50 years we'd have enough trash to fill a hole with the dimensions of 1 square mile, 150 feet deep. That's it. Then, we could fill the hole and build a bunch of golf courses on it.

Recycling takes tremendous energy to do... more energy than making things from raw resources. Where does the energy that runs a recycling plant come from? Fossil fuels, people.

Simple fact is that these conservation movements have little to nothing to do with conservation of anything, except for preserving the jobs of environmental lobbyists.... who have made a living off of it.

Hydrogen cars? How the hell are you going to have a country bubba in Alabama fill his car with hydrogen? Whenyou spill gasoline on the ground, nothing happens unless you throw a fire source on it. But hydrogen explodes on contact with air. Instantly. Anyone remember the Space Shuttle Challenger explosion? That's what happens when liquid hydrogen hits air. Poof, gone. How the hell are they going to make it safe to carry around one of the most volatile elements on earth? And then have it inside a metal cage travelling 80 mph? There is another term for a hydrogen car, it's called a bomb on wheels.

It's not safe. And people are too dumb to be allowed to handle such an unsafe fuel.
[snapback]183672[/snapback]

Hey, I came from Huntsville, Alabama, one of the most technologically advanced cities, so let's not label all of Alabama as incompetent. I do have to agree though, as much as we like to move forward, we don?t even know if Hydrogen cars are going to be a viable alternative. They need to get something to move away from Oil, but it will take years and years before the majority of people can switch to alternate fuel sources, and by that point only the BMW and like crowds will be able to afford the gas. Soon gas cars will be a luxury, but it's a long way off from the dire situation Fox news would have you believe.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:10 AM
htt
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought one of the main reasons for buying a hybrid is the price of petrol.... nearly ?1.00 atm.... hydrogens cheaper rite?