Other BMW Models Talk about all the other BMW models here.

BMW 135i beating Lambo Gallardo?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 08:44 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

As others have said, any car can be modified to be ridiculously quick. At the end of the day, we're still just talking about a heavily modified 135 (and while this is totally subjective, to my eyes the 1 series remains one of the least attractive cars that BMW has ever made).

But it isn't just about speed... At that level, it's about heritage, prestige, design, engine noise, exotic materials, engineering, technology and pride of ownership as much as it is about the drive. And the Gallardo is indeed a phenomenal car to drive. I've driven one on a track, and I've been driven around a track by a race driver in a Gallardo. It is truly a monster. There is no BMW that I would ever consider, ever, over a stock Gallardo.

Here, you could substitute the Lambo for the majority of exotics and they would suffer the same fate. Doesn't matter - it's still just a modded 135, and personally I'd be far happier blowing my 200K on a Gallardo than blowing just 50K or so on a breathed on pocket rocket. When you drop your 200k or more on a Lambo or a Ferrari you're entering a very different world where speed is taken as a given but it isn't the only thing on offer. The other intangibles are at least as if not more important.

As for some of the comments on reliability, the Gallardo does way better than most exotics.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:04 AM
Contributors

Steve, I agree with your comments 100%. I always enjoy reading your posts as I most always feel the same, regardless of the topic at hand. I can only assume we are of similar age and probably share some similar experiences. Keep on!

All the best
Old 08-27-2009, 10:08 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames' post='990398' date='Aug 27 2009, 12:44 PM
As others have said, any car can be modified to be ridiculously quick. At the end of the day, we're still just talking about a heavily modified 135 (and while this is totally subjective, to my eyes the 1 series remains one of the least attractive cars that BMW has ever made).

But it isn't just about speed... At that level, it's about heritage, prestige, design, engine noise, exotic materials, engineering, technology and pride of ownership as much as it is about the drive. And the Gallardo is indeed a phenomenal car to drive. I've driven one on a track, and I've been driven around a track by a race driver in a Gallardo. It is truly a monster. There is no BMW that I would ever consider, ever, over a stock Gallardo.

Here, you could substitute the Lambo for the majority of exotics and they would suffer the same fate. Doesn't matter - it's still just a modded 135, and personally I'd be far happier blowing my 200K on a Gallardo than blowing just 50K or so on a breathed on pocket rocket. When you drop your 200k or more on a Lambo or a Ferrari you're entering a very different world where speed is taken as a given but it isn't the only thing on offer. The other intangibles are at least as if not more important.

As for some of the comments on reliability, the Gallardo does way better than most exotics.
+1

Totally agree as I stated before.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:11 AM
Contributors

Nice vid...
Old 08-27-2009, 02:39 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by swajames' post='990398' date='Aug 27 2009, 12:44 PM

I concur 100%
Old 08-27-2009, 02:50 PM
Senior Members

the lambo gallardo is small and not beautiful, i'd rather have a tuned nissan GTR or a porsche 911 turbo (i wouldnt pay that much for a car that will lose quick by any modded car)
however i love the murcielago , a real lambo and girls who dig you for your car are gold diggers
Old 08-27-2009, 03:02 PM
Contributors

Tuned turbo n54 engines will hold up surprisingly well against most cars, but only up until about 100 - 110mph).
After 100MPH an M5 and M3 will walk the 135, 335, 535, HARD....

As seen in the video the Lambo was able to pass the 135 with ease at double digit speeds. But props to Shiv@Vishnu for putting together such a strong tune.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by dbae1978' post='990763' date='Aug 27 2009, 04:02 PM
Tuned turbo n54 engines will hold up surprisingly well against most cars, but only up until about 100 - 110mph).
After 100MPH an M5 and M3 will walk the 135, 335, 535, HARD....

As seen in the video the Lambo was able to pass the 135 with ease at double digit speeds. But props to Shiv@Vishnu for putting together such a strong tune.
very mature of you not flaming vishnu and pushing jb..... but then again this isn't e90posts and you are upgrading soon anyway
Old 08-27-2009, 06:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by poleposition' post='990444' date='Aug 27 2009, 11:04 AM
Steve, I agree with your comments 100%. I always enjoy reading your posts as I most always feel the same, regardless of the topic at hand. I can only assume we are of similar age and probably share some similar experiences. Keep on!

All the best
You too! Have to say I've been looking at your Smart car with envy! It's the nicest one I've ever seen and it would be fantastic for the Bay Area.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Name:  bmw_logo.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  2.5 KB
is the King
this is the best car for HK roads
supercar wast of time in HK( just for looks )

Quick Reply: BMW 135i beating Lambo Gallardo?