Other BMW Models Talk about all the other BMW models here.

Battery drain solved

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 05:21 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last week I picked up, from the dealer, my wife's 08 X-3. For a year the dealer said the constant dead battery was "driver fault" for not driving more than 45 minutes each day.

After putting the electrical diagnosis machine on it for 5 days it was recorded that the Telecommunications Module woke up at about midnight and spent the rest of the night searching for a cell phone to communicate with.

Module replaced - no more dead battery.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:27 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

glad you got it resolved, wonder if that problem can be found in other BMW models (e60)
Old 12-16-2009, 06:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Thanks for the update Greg.

I wonder why they can't perform that troubleshooting procedure on more cars that have similar issues? It's unbelievable to me that everyone seems to be buying into the whole "car not driven enough" or "unfavorable driving profile" excuse these days.

My car can sit for weeks and it starts right up every time. No battery charger, no nothing. Clearly, to me, when there are persistent low battery conditions (and the battery isn't shot), something is waking up or keeping the car from sleeping. BMW needs to do a better job at diagnosing the various modules that may be faulty and causing these symptoms...
Old 12-16-2009, 04:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='1074620' date='Dec 16 2009, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the update Greg.

+1 ... [sixcard]

I wonder why they can't perform that troubleshooting procedure on more cars that have similar issues? It's unbelievable to me that everyone seems to be buying into the whole "car not driven enough" or "unfavorable driving profile" excuse these days.

My car can sit for weeks and it starts right up every time. No battery charger, no nothing. Clearly, to me, when there are persistent low battery conditions (and the battery isn't shot), something is waking up or keeping the car from sleeping. BMW needs to do a better job at diagnosing the various modules that may be faulty and causing these symptoms...

True. I bought into it because my float charger seemed to "fix" the problem. This thread suggests I only crutched the problem.

chump?
Old 12-16-2009, 06:01 PM
Contributors

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by GregBrand' post='1074573' date='Dec 16 2009, 09:21 AM
After putting the electrical diagnosis machine on it for 5 days it was recorded that the Telecommunications Module woke up at about midnight and spent the rest of the night searching for a cell phone to communicate with.
Module replaced - no more dead battery.
Good deal!

But I'm surprised they required 5 days of diagnostics to determine that a module was waking up nightly at midnight and remaining active ... and that 8 hours of searching killed the battery.

That said, with dead batteries such a common problem on these cars, has a service bulletin been issued by BMW? I wonder how many owners replaced batteries at their own expense or under BMW Warranty when this or a similar fault was the real cause
Old 12-16-2009, 07:05 PM
Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='1074993' date='Dec 16 2009, 11:01 PM
Good deal!

But I'm surprised they required 5 days of diagnostics to determine that a module was waking up nightly at midnight and remaining active ... and that 8 hours of searching killed the battery.

That said, with dead batteries such a common problem on these cars, has a service bulletin been issued by BMW? I wonder how many owners replaced batteries at their own expense or under BMW Warranty when this or a similar fault was the real cause
Fair question. 5 days of diagnostic tracking because the waking up was intermittent. After two days no waking; after 3 Telecommunications Module awakes; Module replaced; after 4 days no spikes; after 5 days no spikes. Thus, 5 days on the diagnostic tracker.

True it would not seem just 8 hours of "searching" would kill a battery. But 8 hours, every 5th or 6th night, cummulatively over a month, could. There are many possible rogue modules, awakening after vehicle is shut off and key is removed such as sensor for trunk lid closure; rain sensor; door closed; road 37 degrees or colder; and the list goes on.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='1074993' date='Dec 16 2009, 10:01 PM
I wonder how many owners replaced batteries at their own expense or under BMW Warranty when this or a similar fault was the real cause
If one replaced a battery to fix this issue and the cause was not the battery (perhaps some module, as in Greg's case), then would not the new battery's charge also expire???

The thread may be a good clue, but it also raises more questions, IMO.

sixcard
Old 12-16-2009, 07:36 PM
Contributors

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by sixcard' post='1075040' date='Dec 16 2009, 11:18 PM
If one replaced a battery to fix this issue and the cause was not the battery (perhaps some module, as in Greg's case), then would not the new battery's charge also expire???

The thread may be a good clue, but it also raises more questions, IMO.

sixcard
Exactly
Old 02-22-2010, 11:09 AM
Members

I have a 2007 530xi. Getting recurrent "High Battery Drain Warning" in the moring after it sat in the garage all night.
They have updated the software, replaced the battery, replaced a communication part in the sterring column that had to do with the sleep mode, and it still gives me the warning.
Anybody have any thoughts out there?
Old 02-24-2010, 08:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i | Silver-Grey- A08 | Premium - Sport Package | Adaptive Headlights | Logic 7 w/ CD Changer | Bluetooth | Park Distance Control | Xenon Headlights | Comfort Access [s]Sprint Booster V1[/s] | K&N filter - Stock Box w/ Charcoal Filter Removed | Clear Side LED Markers | Matte Black Grilles | RPI Air Scoop | RPI 550i GT Exhaust | 12" Kicker w/ AMP | Headlight Euro Overlays | ACS Rep Roof\Trunk Spoilers |MTEC V2 Angel Eyes | 6000k HID Fog Lights | 19" VMR v710 Stag Wheels | Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 Tires | Debadged | LED Courtesy Door Lamps | Sprint Booster V2 | Painted Calipers | M pedals\shift knob | HID License Plate Bulbs | R1 Drilled\Slotted Rotors | Hawk HPS Brakes| ACS replica front lip |

It's amazing how I having the same problem recently. I admit I first noticed it after returning from a business trip. Prior to the trip I didn't drive the car much. Since I've returned from the trip I didn't drive the car much each day. Only very short trips. Well, I'm out on another trip now, so I presume I'll have the "high battery drainage" again. It's crazy how you need to drive your car like crazy and put a lot of miles on it to avoid this. Lucikly, my car continues to start up with no problem.

Quick Reply: Battery drain solved