Other BMW Models Talk about all the other BMW models here.

3-Across America - Atlanta

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 09:53 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 545i/6sp SilverGray/Beige

So I went to the "Celebrate the 3" event at the Westin Peachtree last night. Not that I am in the market for a new 3, since I have 2 years left on my current 545 lease, but I call in and reserve spots for every event for which I get a BMW flyer.

I am highly disappointed that I ate dinner beforehand, since the spread of food was incredible; sushi station, fruits and cheeses, buffalo wings, and a dessert table to die for. mmm...cheesecake...mmm....

Anyway, after a thoroughly uninspiring monotonic speech from some product manager-type at BMWNA ( Bruckes, maybe?), they finally pulled the sheets off the cars. I must say that the new 3 looks even better in the metal than in pictures. I didn't think to bring a camera, but we've all seen pics of the thing already anyway.

A couple of details that I really like (in no particular order):
1. I love the "floating halo" look to the ring lights around the main headlight lenses. It really gives some depth to the headlight cluster.

2. I really like the design of the new sport seats.

3. I think the center-console and center stack is much better executed than my old '01 330 and my '04 545. I really wish that they had brought an example with NAV, but I think that the NAV/iDrive "pod" could only make it look better. I'm not going to discuss the relative merits of iDrive here, but suffice it to say that I don't find it in any way obtrusive, and having had NAV in my last 2 bimmers, it's just not that tough to figure out. There is a slight bias toward the driver in the center of the dash, and the "wraparound" look on the console really gives the sense that the driver is in control.

4. Notice the surface intersection that goes down the hood shutline forming a slight "shoulder." It's very reminiscent of the 6er. This, and the sculpted surface with the crease at the door handles, are probably my favorite surface features. I think the hood would look even better with a little "power dome" ala E46 M3. Only slightly less cool is the surface intersection between the shoulder line as it wraps around the back of the trunk lid and the sculpted-out rear trunk surface. Very well executed, in my opinion.

5. I didn't think that I would like them, but the "chevron" shaped amber reflectors looked very good. They offer a great contrast to the slightly less amber turn-signal indicators that they surround.

6. Sparkling Graphite is an AWESOME color.

7. Finally some attractive side mirrors rather than leftovers from the E36 parts bin.

Anyway, I think that BMW has a genuine hit on their hands with this one.

After seeing this vehicle in person, I am definitely going to go "downmarket" when my lease is up. Can't wait for the new M3.

-MrB