Other BMW Models Talk about all the other BMW models here.

The 2 Series Active Tourer

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 02:20 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Stripper Japanese econobox
Default The 2 Series Active Tourer

BMW chooses to call its SUV-like X5 a "Sports Activity Vehicle," so it should come as no surprise that it's named the car you see here something other than "a tall wagon" or "a model wearing our badge that spins its front wheels." The German automaker has dubbed it the "2 Series Active Tourer."

That name emphasizes the vehicle's focus on driving dynamics. "The newly developed chassis, comprising a single-joint spring strut axle at the front and a multi-link rear axle, combines agility and directional precision with excellent handling stability and suspension comfort." BMW has tuned the front axle to provide exact feedback from the electromechanical steering setup, which is designed to eliminate torque steer. The ability to route engine output through xDrive all-wheel drive will be an option.

A trio of TwinPower Turbo three- and four-cylinder engines will also be available. The 218i model packs a 1.5-liter I3 with 136 horsepower. That last figure goes up to 150 with the four-cylinder diesel motor of the 218d, which cranks out 243 pound-feet of torque. According to Car and Driver, BMW will only send the 2.0L 225i and its 228-horsepower inline-four and eight-speed automatic to the United States.

The 2 Series Active Tourer also focuses on usability. Luggage space can be increased from 16.5 to 53.3 cubic feet, and the folding rear backrest has a 40:20:40 split. The back seat slides to increase legroom or storage capacity. "Access to the luggage compartment couldn't be easier thanks to the large, broad, wide-opening tailgate. This can be optionally specified with pushbutton automatic opening and closing or – for supreme ease – touchless gesture control."

Starting September 27, the 2 Series Active Tourer will be available in Germany at a base price of $36,774 (converted from Euros). Motor Trend thinks it will go on sale in the U.S. next year.

Read the rest on the 5Series.net homepage.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:11 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

By '2-Active Tourer', you mean 'MINI Cooper with a BMW badge', since that's bascially what this is.

Norbert Reithofer is turning BMW into GM. This car is an abomination.