New Member Introductions Please introduce yourself. Everyone here was once new to the 5 Series Forums so don't be shy! Welcome!

Newbie Introduction

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 07:49 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i: Platinum Gray with Gray leather, bamboo anthricite trim, sport package, sport automatic transmission, park distance control, premium package, cold weather package, comfort access, navigation, satellite radio, ipod/usb adapter, and Logic7 sound.

I have been enjoying this board as a silent reader for quite some time now, and recently registered as I was awaiting my '08 535i. I took delivery of my 535i about 3 weeks ago and am slowly working my way through the break-in period.

I apologize for the length of this post, but I have a few questions/comments for everyone.

1) I am struggling to add information about my car as my "signature" like all of you have. Please let me know how to do that. By the way, it is a Platinum Gray with Gray leather, bamboo anthricite trim, sport package, sport automatic transmission, park distance control, premium package, cold weather package, comfort access, navigation, satellite radio, ipod/usb adapter, and Logic7 sound. Any other advice on how to fully update the profile would be greatly appreciated.

2) I work on a trade floor (we trade energy instead of stocks...), and a close friend of mine has a 550i. Once I get through the break-in period, we should have some race results for you similar to what Pennetta (sp?) has been trying to put together. I currently have 740 miles on the car, and am taking a road trip to the Oklahoma State/Kansas football game today (not a fan of either school, but the atmoshpere will be great and I honestly think we'll see an upset...I digress) that should add about 200 miles to the total.

3) I absolutely love the car. I had an '03 M3 previously and with two young children (28 months and 4 months) decided it was time for more room. The only frustration I have had at all is a comical one: where within the Nav system can I go to find the nearest coffee house? I thought it would be under restaurants, but I had no luck. If anyone can provide me with the no-brainer answer I am failing to find myself, that would be great.

4) My input on the 535i vs 550i vs M5 debate: I say this with as much humility as I can. I could have bought any of the cars with no significant impact on my financial picture, and I chose the 535i. I have driven the 550i my friend has many times, and was certain after a few test drives that the handling of the 535i is a better fit for me (I guess I was spoiled coming from the M3). I am also the type of person that likes a more understated look (which was one of my only issues with the M3), so the new sports package on the 550i does not fit my taste. I'm not so sure the 550i is faster straightline either, but we'll wait to see once we get a chance to test them out.
The M5 is a beast, no doubt. The dealership actually did everything they could to talk me into buying one (BMW of Tulsa actually has 5 of them sitting on the lot right now, so if any of you are in the market, they are letting them go at invoice plus pack). I test-drove one particular M5 4 times (for up to an hour each time), and honestly think it just isn't worth having on the road. It is simply so much performance you never get to use, and, with my driving skills, it certainly isn't as smooth and comfortable as the other two choices. So for whatever it's worth, I chose the 535i based on reasons that are completely unrelated to money. I have read so many posts claiming that nobody would ever choose the 535i over the 550i if money was not a concern, and I just want to point out that I am proof this isn't always the case.

For those of you still reading, thanks for allowing me such a long introduction. I am off to the football game later today, but I will try to check back in tonight or tomorrow. I love this site and learning from those of you who are frequent posters here. I hope to get to the point where I can contribute to your discussions as well.

Best Regards,

David (slickwilly is what I nicknamed my sales guy...)
Old 11-10-2007, 07:57 AM
Senior Members

Welcome David.

I went through a similar decision-making process as you did, i.e. 535i, 550i, M5.

I ultimately chose the 550i with Sportpaket (I think this is still understated but it brings out the lines of the E60 5er in a more elegant fashion, in my opinion) as the best handling option but there was no wrong decision. Another factor that pushed me into the 550i camp was the color choice, i.e. that Carbonschwarz metallic is exclusive to the 550i and is not available on the 535i or the M5 in the BMW NA market.

Regarding the nav, I seem to recall (and I?m not looking at the category list right now) that there was a coffee house or similarly-named category. Hopefully it will identify something better than the local Starbucks for you.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:01 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 325i Touring E60 530i Sedan

Congratulations and welcome
Old 11-10-2007, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Congrats on your new toy and welcome slickwilly. To update your signature, click on "My Controls" at the top of any page then look for the "Edit Signature" link on the left hand side of the control panel page.

From there, I think you'll be able to figure things out...
Old 11-10-2007, 08:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Congrats for the new fine car and welcome to the forum slickwilly,

I started as a silent member as well, for a good half year.

1) Just go to My Controls -> Personal Profile -> Edit Signature

2) Stay cool, especially with the turbo on board.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:34 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: Platinum Gray with Gray leather, bamboo anthricite trim, sport package, sport automatic transmission, park distance control, premium package, cold weather package, comfort access, navigation, satellite radio, ipod/usb adapter, and Logic7 sound.

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='492639' date='Nov 10 2007, 10:57 AM
Welcome David.

I went through a similar decision-making process as you did, i.e. 535i, 550i, M5.

I ultimately chose the 550i with Sportpaket (I think this is still understated but it brings out the lines of the E60 5er in a more elegant fashion, in my opinion) as the best handling option but there was no wrong decision. Another factor that pushed me into the 550i camp was the color choice, i.e. that Carbonschwarz metallic is exclusive to the 550i and is not available on the 535i or the M5 in the BMW NA market.

Regarding the nav, I seem to recall (and I?m not looking at the category list right now) that there was a coffee house or similarly-named category. Hopefully it will identify something better than the local Starbucks for you.
T
Thanks, JSpira, for pointing out something I meant to say in my post: it really is just such a personal choice. I completely understand why your preferences would lead you toward the 550i. I just wanted to make clear that I will respect everyone's opinions. You won't find me telling anyone they are wrong (unless they just go way off the deep end and start talking about how my first car at age 16, the oldmobile 88, is a finer automobile...)
Old 11-10-2007, 09:11 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by slickwilly' post='492652' date='Nov 10 2007, 12:34 PM
Thanks, JSpira, for pointing out something I meant to say in my post: it really is just such a personal choice. I completely understand why your preferences would lead you toward the 550i. I just wanted to make clear that I will respect everyone's opinions.
Anytime. That is what makes this forum so great.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:53 AM
Senior Members

Indeed a humble man you are.. if money wre not an issue M5 would have deffinetly do it for me. but I enjoyed reading your reasons on why you went 535i, and see your point and respect them. enjoy the car... not sure if your into modding or not but i posted a video in the M5 section of a slightly modded 335i racing an M5 and it was pretty close. Pretty soon when the mods start coming for the 535I like chips etc, it will be interesting to see where that mach up goes. then you can keep your ride comfort and still have the car be alittle bit faster. goodluck and welcome.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:25 PM
Members

Originally Posted by trboda6' post='492672' date='Nov 10 2007, 12:53 PM
Indeed a humble man you are.. if money wre not an issue M5 would have deffinetly do it for me. but I enjoyed reading your reasons on why you went 535i, and see your point and respect them. enjoy the car... not sure if your into modding or not but i posted a video in the M5 section of a slightly modded 335i racing an M5 and it was pretty close. Pretty soon when the mods start coming for the 535I like chips etc, it will be interesting to see where that mach up goes. then you can keep your ride comfort and still have the car be alittle bit faster. goodluck and welcome.
Thanks, trboda6. I am still on the fence with the whole modding thing, but my brother in law is already putting the pressure on me to do it. He's got an older mustang that runs high 9's and he says I could have an 11 second car pretty easily. I'm just not sure how much comfort, if any, I'm willing to give up for more straightline performance. Anyway, please keep me posted on the alternatives.

By the way, I was wrong on my upset prediction. I guess that Kansas football team is for real...
Old 11-11-2007, 04:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 Bimmer, Sports Package, Premium Package, Black/Black, Xenon Lights, 20
Model Year: 2005

Welcome to the forum and conratz!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Newbie Introduction-post_13991_1192398370_thumb.jpg