New Member Introductions Please introduce yourself. Everyone here was once new to the 5 Series Forums so don't be shy! Welcome!

New here... pics of my garage.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 06:43 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rodybmw' post='314669' date='Jul 24 2006, 09:59 PM
I don't know whether you use Sport mode on the SMG or not, but I ALWAYS use the Sport mode on my 545i SMG. The shifts are way too slow in non-sport mode.
No, I haven't been using the sport mode, but from today onwards I think I will. BTW, the Sport Mode does not affect the Auto mode does it? I agree that the shifts are way too slow in the non-sport mode.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by jamolie' post='315299' date='Jul 26 2006, 07:43 AM
No, I haven't been using the sport mode, but from today onwards I think I will. BTW, the Sport Mode does not affect the Auto mode does it? I agree that the shifts are way too slow in the non-sport mode.
I dont use sports mode that often anymore. I use to... I think I've gotten use to non-sports mode... during normal driving when I shift under 3k rpm just cruising acceleration, not pushing the car at all I can hear the car click into gear sometimes the clutch is let out faster than I need. So normal mode seems to be ok for slow easy driving. If I want to push it then oh man sports mode is good. Sometimes not fast enough.

Hahaha maybe I'm just ////M5 envious with their 6 settings.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:13 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jamolie' post='315299' date='Jul 26 2006, 07:43 AM
The Sport mode does affect both Manual AND Automatic modes. Not only does it shift faster but it also has better/faster throttle response. Also, even though the upshift speed is pretty quick in sport mode the downshift speed is not as quick, although it's still better than non-sport mode.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Originally Posted by rodybmw' post='315328' date='Jul 26 2006, 09:13 AM
The Sport mode does affect both Manual AND Automatic modes. Not only does it shift faster but it also has better/faster throttle response.
Is it true that it also consumes gasoline at a higher rate than non-Sport mode? I think that I'm in the minority of SMG owners that drive in non-Sport and Auto mode a vast majority of the time. I save the Sport and Manual mode for the spirited drives.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:28 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='315305' date='Jul 26 2006, 07:56 AM
I dont use sports mode that often anymore. I use to... I think I've gotten use to non-sports mode... during normal driving when I shift under 3k rpm just cruising acceleration, not pushing the car at all I can hear the car click into gear sometimes the clutch is let out faster than I need. So normal mode seems to be ok for slow easy driving. If I want to push it then oh man sports mode is good. Sometimes not fast enough.

Hahaha maybe I'm just ////M5 envious with their 6 settings.
When I first got the car I used to drive it in non-sport mode. One time I needed to quickly downshift and accelerate as an emergency maneuver so that I don't get hit by another car and the response was so slow I barely got out of the way (it felt like it was taking forever while watching a car approaching in the rear view mirror). From then on I decided to always use the sport mode for safety reasons, but now I am so used to the quicker throttle response and shifting that I can't use the normal mode.

The upshifts are fast enough most of the time in Sport mode, but the downshifts could still use improvement.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:44 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jiio' post='315331' date='Jul 26 2006, 09:22 AM
Is it true that it also consumes gasoline at a higher rate than non-Sport mode? I think that I'm in the minority of SMG owners that drive in non-Sport and Auto mode a vast majority of the time. I save the Sport and Manual mode for the spirited drives.

Didn't someone post a couple of months ago that you can get better gas milage if you accelerate as fast as possible to the cruising speed vs. getting there at a slower acceleration rate? If so then sport mode may be an advantage here.

When I first took redelivery of my car it was January 2005 and I did not use the A/C for the next few months as well as always drove in non-sport mode. Then starting from about April I started using the sport mode exclusively as well as started using the A/C all the time because of the warmer weather. The intersting thing is that I got better gas milage when I started using the sport mode even though the added burden of the A/C happened to come at the same time vs. when I was using the non-sport mode and no A/C. However, all or part of the improvement in gas milage could also be attributed to the car being more broken in as time went by and therefore improve in gas milage.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:08 AM
JLS
Members

Originally Posted by tab545' post='314476' date='Jul 24 2006, 03:12 PM
Nobody believes me, but I was tempted to get an STi instead of my 545. Long-term, the 545 fits my needs much better; but I was dying to drive the STi for a while. The wing on the back was a little much for people to picture a lawyer in. Oh, well. I guess my "boy racer" days will have to wait a while.
M5 maybe??

That should satiate your "boy racer" need
Old 07-26-2006, 09:29 AM
Members

Originally Posted by JLS' post='315346' date='Jul 26 2006, 01:08 PM
M5 maybe??

That should satiate your "boy racer" need

Yea, but at a very painful price. Talking about SMG Sports mode, I noticed today that I had to manually turn on the Sports Mode after starting the car, even though it was selected before I turned off the car. There doesn't seem to be a way to keep in on all the time?
Old 07-26-2006, 01:25 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jamolie' post='315360' date='Jul 26 2006, 10:29 AM
Yea, but at a very painful price. Talking about SMG Sports mode, I noticed today that I had to manually turn on the Sports Mode after starting the car, even though it was selected before I turned off the car. There doesn't seem to be a way to keep in on all the time?
That is correct.....you have to select it every time. But after a while it becomes part of the procedure and you don't think about it: Start car, push sport button, put it in gear and drive.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by jiio' post='315331' date='Jul 26 2006, 09:22 AM
Is it true that it also consumes gasoline at a higher rate than non-Sport mode?
Nope not true at all... both modes will consume the same amount of gas... but theres a higher probility that you the driver will make the car consume more gas in sport mode because of the throttle response.

I'm going to overly simplify this... disreguarding wether accelerating faster saves more gas or accelerating slower saves more gas... SO basically if you're use to using 1/3 throttle to accelerate in normal mode you'll use 12 mpg but when you're in sports mode and accelerate using 1/3 throttle it might be equal to 1/2 throttle in normal mode hence you're using more gas. BUT if in sports mode you use 1/6th throttle then you might be using the same amount of gas as 1/3 in normal mode... Ka-peesh?

Quick Reply: New here... pics of my garage.