New Member Introductions Please introduce yourself. Everyone here was once new to the 5 Series Forums so don't be shy! Welcome!

New 550i Owner

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 01:44 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550i, Logic 7, Sport Package, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Comfort Seats, Heated Seats, Navigation, Satellite radio.

Hi all,

After 3 months of searching for a replacement for my 1997 M3 Sedan I found a 2006 550i. I test drove a lot of cars and came very close to getting an '05 XJR, but in the end I chickened out due to possible cost of ownership. Those who think maintaining a BMW can cost a few dollars should look at the cost of owning a Jag! I love my M3, but it is getting old, and the AC doesn't cut it down here in Texas. My kids were sweating in the backseat with the AC full blast. I needed a bigger car and a more comfortable car to take on long trips.

Anyway, the 550i had come out of CPO and owner went and bought another 550i with CPO. I have owned several BMWs in past and have never had a major failure, such as drive train or engine. Heck, my 14 year old M3 with 150K miles still has the original AC compressor and alternator! So I am comfortable with owning this car out of CPO. Besides, the car came with only 52k miles, a full dealer service history, new brake rotors and pads, oil service done the week before I bought it to include cabin filter, $1400 in new tires, not a door ding to be found - and all for just under $20k. I had someone offer me $23k for it a week after I had it. I figure that I won't have to put any maintenance money into it for a while, and got such a good deal that I can put some money into it if required and I won't feel bad. But really, the history speaks for itself and it has not required anything but regular service and the brakes. Hopefully, I am not jinxing myself.

So far I really love the car. The comfort seats are phenomenal. I took a 3 hour non-stop trip and arrived feeling great. The power band is amazing, especially in the 30-80 range. I don't really have any complaints about the car. I did made the mistake of test driving a 2008 4 door M3 at the dealer and have to say, if I was going to die soon that's the car I would own. But it also cost more than twice as much as what I paid for the 5 series, and well, I am not going to die soon, I hope, so the practical side of my brain won and I have a what I have. The only other thing I have to get used to is that, at least in Austin, there seems to be a 5 series on every corner. I kind of liked that there were very few of my model of E36 M3 on the road. Oh well, I haven't sold it yet so I can still drive it around occasionally.

I look forward to being a part of this great forum and community.

David
Old 02-08-2012, 02:26 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

to the forum!