New Member Introductions Please introduce yourself. Everyone here was once new to the 5 Series Forums so don't be shy! Welcome!

Loving my E60

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2020, 06:11 PM
New Members

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i auto
Default Loving my E60

Hi all, just saying hi as a new owner of a nice, shiny 2005 545i.

I got what I think is a pretty good deal on a clean and reasonably well maintained 2005 545i in "olivine green". It's in excellent overall condition. At the same time as I purchased it I got some work done on it, nothing huge mainly just some suspension components and light engine oil leaks, stuff like cam cover gaskets and so on. Seller split the cost with me so I am thinking of it more as part of the purchase price than as repairs during my ownership. Everything works and nothing is setting off any alarm bells yet.

123,000km/76000mi on it. Everything looks brand new basically and I feel the E60 body shape is holding up pretty well among newer cars.

Got a coding cable and software and did two things: (a) added AUX IN and (b) got rid of the legal disclaimer. I still haven't got the aux in cable I ordered so I am using an FM transmitter to get spotify and hands-free phone calls working (OEM bluetooth doesn't seem to like my phone anyway), but once I have aux in I'll come up with something that looks neat and tidy. I am thinking of tapping into the OEM microphone up on the roof console as I am never going to use the factory bluetooth.

As far as sound goes, I am trying to decide whether to go the whole hog and get one of the Android head units, or stick with cheaper bluetooth options. I was leaning towards the android unit for various reasons but now I am starting to think that even the FM transmitter is good enough to mean it's not worth the cost. Probably I will live with it as-is for a month or two and the answer will come to me.

Another thing I'd like to achieve is to adjust the idle speed. It idles perfectly as set, ie 500rpm with a/c off and 750 rpm with a/c on. What I feel though is that 750 is just higher than it needs to be; it makes the car want to take off that little bit more than I think is quite right. If anyone can tell me how to do this I'd be interested.

Either way, I have enjoyed every minute I've been driving this car so far. I admit it's a bit thirsty, but for what I paid it's a LOT OF CAR and the total cost including fuel bills is pretty tolerable. This is my first bimmer but I've had a few interesting cars over the years and tend to work on them myself. This particular one is reminding me the most of the V12 XJ-S I used to own (which I've regretted selling ever since...).

Cheers,

Anthro
Old 12-19-2020, 07:38 PM
Administrator

Received 99 Likes on 95 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

to the forum, Anthro! Feel free to ask questions or for suggestions. Lot's of helpful people here.