New Member Introductions Please introduce yourself. Everyone here was once new to the 5 Series Forums so don't be shy! Welcome!

Hello from Vancouver

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 12:38 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i, Carbon Black, Black Dakota, Black Diamond Trim, 6sp Sport Automatic with Paddles, M-Sport Package, Premium Package

Wow!!! That is very informative. Thanks for the information. I will have to read it more when I have time, but I do appreciate your thoroughness.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:55 AM
KBO
Members

Hi Nedchiu,

I am about to import an 05 545 from California Via (Vancouver). Once imported I will have it railed over to Montreal.

Your post was most useful but I need to drill down to the bits and bolts with regards to the instrument cluster and IHKA heater control. You indicated that you imported an 04 530 and Bessels ony charged you for the DRL.

Did you ask what would be required or simply showed up with the car and got the work done? Here my dealership tells me that I MUST change the cluster and spend the 3K in parts and labour. Initially I spoke to another dealer and they told me that the only thing required was the DRL. I am wondering if this varies from dealer to dealer? Did you discuss the cluster thing with Bessels or simply crossed your fingers? This is am important part of my equation and could use some clarifications.

From the time you cross with LOA what time frame am I looking at until I can get the car on the train for Montreal?

What paperwork is required to get:

Temporary Insurance Binder from ICBC CAD$84.00
Canadian Trip Permit from ICBC CAD$32

As far as you know will I run into any snaggs in getting the work done in BC when the car will be registered in QC?

Finally can you please confirm that the TAX, DUTY are calculated from the sale price and not the book value? I have heard some people tell me that the TAX and DUTY is applied on the book value which could be something like 55K or is this only when you register the car?

THANKS!!!!
Old 03-09-2008, 09:59 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525Xi 2001 Volvo V70 T5 1957 Higgins Sports Speed Speedster Deluxe - All Mahogany

kbo

I am not sure about shipping the car to Quebec and registering the car for that provincial. I think? you will need to do a provincial inspection in the home province.

I just factored in an extra $3000 and crossed my fingers. I was lucky. The 04 530 that went through Brian Jessel was not my car so I don't know the particulars. I know Jessel was bringing cars up from the states and selling them in his BMW dealership not too long ago. I am sure he did not do any extra work to those cars. I looked at the instrument clusters and they still had the MPH in Large print and the km/h in small. I think you really have to consider the extra cost and factor it in. I felt I was still saving enough money.

The paperwork was relatively easy to get a ICBC binder insurance, but I am a resident of B.C. I am not sure how it would work shipping cross country. Why don't you ship the car from California to the closest border crossing to you? I think you would probably save money and hassle. Railing a car sounds like it may be tough for your car, and the time to ship my not be as easy. A trucker is dedicated to your car and would probably take better care. I spoke to another person that had shipped a Lexus from Florida to the Blaine border in Washington. It only cost him $1200.

The GST and duty is calculated on the purchased price converted to the Canadian dollar. The exchange rate is on the day of importation. Both are paid at the border. The PST is paid at the time of registration and on the purchased price.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:01 AM
KBO
Members

Thanks Nedchiu,

Any particular trucking company to recommend?

One of the big reasons for passing through in Vancouver is for Jessel's . You are the 2nd person that I read about who did not have the get the cluster and IHKA control replaced at Jessel's. I also read about some success stories from AB. Here, I am 100% sure to have to get it done so its something that I am considering.

The dealer where I am buying the car has offered to order the cluster and IHKA control unit for me and having it installed for 2K. I may just do that but with my luck BMW Canada will say that since it was done by US dealer that the work is not recognised and they have to redo it!

Comments?
Old 03-10-2008, 08:54 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525Xi 2001 Volvo V70 T5 1957 Higgins Sports Speed Speedster Deluxe - All Mahogany

Kbo,

I used Cascade Vehicle Shipping 360-834-7898 http://www.cascadevehicleshipping.com/ . Speak to a customer service rep. name Kimberly, Kimberly@cascadevehicleshipping.com. She was exceptional. I had to rush the delivery, ordered the truck on a Monday, pickup on Tuesday in California, at Blaine Washington on Wednesday. All for a cost of $890. If you are not in a rush it should only cost about $700. I had used Uship, a bidding website and had quotes as low as $600. The first trucker that I had ordered, had good communication, but his truck broke down two time reaching the dealership. I had to cancell that order.

I think that if you had to spend $2000 at the dealership in California to change out your cluster and heater core, you might as well do it in Canada, at least you are assured it is done to BMW Canada's wishes. I really think you have to just cross your fingers and hope for the best. When the dust is all settled and you have your new car in your garage, and you saved a bunch of money, the money you spent at BMW Canada would just be a minor irritant.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:39 PM
KBO
Members

Nedchiu,

You're a fine gentlemen and thanks for all your troubles... You have paved the way for me and many others.

I spoke to Bessel's today and they confirmed that I had to get the cluster work done. They suggested to get it done in the US if it was an option. The only thing that absolutely needs to be done in Canada is the DRL. Anyhow you are probably right I should just bite the bullet and get the work done here in MTL! If I can get these guys to through it in I will get it done. Worst case is I get it redone here!

I will most likely plan a business trip in CA to see the car and do the transaction in person.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Welcome to the best e60 forum in the world and have fun too
Old 04-11-2008, 07:10 PM
Members

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='541508' date='Mar 8 2008, 08:19 AM
Was thinking of heading to Whistler, then decided it was better to stay home and finish some important chores like checking out the new M3 at Jessel's !!
Nice! That is where I am getting my 2008 550i
Old 04-11-2008, 07:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Originally Posted by adidas86' post='560133' date='Apr 11 2008, 10:10 PM
Nice! That is where I am getting my 2008 550i
Welcome ! a new Vancouver member and.......... new V8 club member, it's all good here ! What color are you getting ?
Cheers
Old 04-11-2008, 09:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Does anyone else here want to say "God Bless You" when they say Ned's name aloud??

Quick Reply: Hello from Vancouver