New Member Introductions Please introduce yourself. Everyone here was once new to the 5 Series Forums so don't be shy! Welcome!

Hello from Vancouver

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 02:50 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 525Xi 2001 Volvo V70 T5 1957 Higgins Sports Speed Speedster Deluxe - All Mahogany

Hello everyone,

Thank you very much for recent advice. Alway helpfull. Bought my first BMW in December 2007 from California and had the car shipped up to Vancouver, B.C. Canada sight unseen. Very happy with my 2006 BMW 525xi. Now I know what the difference is, driving a BMW. The road feel is incredible. It is definetly a driver's car. I still have a 2001 V70T5, I thought this was the cat meow when I bought it, it now feels like a Buick...Now I want a 530Xit. But I need it to tow a 3000# tent trailer. Maybe a X5...
Old 03-07-2008, 04:24 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

welcome and enjoy the forums.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Hey Ned ! Welcome ! We 're starting to get quite a few Vancouver area members !
Cheers
Old 03-07-2008, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

welcome to the forum...
Old 03-07-2008, 07:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i, Carbon Black, Black Dakota, Black Diamond Trim, 6sp Sport Automatic with Paddles, M-Sport Package, Premium Package

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='541322' date='Mar 7 2008, 06:43 PM
Hey Ned ! Welcome ! We 're starting to get quite a few Vancouver area members !
Cheers
All 2nd the Vancouver welcome. Ned please give us some details on the out of country purchase, some of us here have been thinking about importing. And yeah, enjoy forums.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:50 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525Xi 2001 Volvo V70 T5 1957 Higgins Sports Speed Speedster Deluxe - All Mahogany

Frank970, ask me any question, I would be more than happy to help. Sorry for the long post. I know there is a Letter of Admissibility and Letter of recall and a possibility of a cluster change and heater core change ($2500-$3000). But if you save $20,000, who cares. I know of a recent import of a 2004 530 in February that only paid for the letters and a small service ($140, to turn on DRL) from Brian Jessel. Here is the break down of my importing experience...

2006 BMW 525 Xi Imported from Pleasanton California, to Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

USA Origin: Pleasanton California
Canadian Destination: Vancouver, British Columbia
Estimated NET savings: More than CAD$22,000

Model and Options: 2006 BMW 525 Xi, 4door, Silver Grey Metallic on Grey Dakota Leather, premium package, cold weather package, navigation, etc.
USD Purchase Price: Negotiated to $32,000
CAD Conversion: $31,863
US Costs Associated with the Importation
Items Amount
Purchase Price (paid by bank draft) US$32,000
Transport from California to Blaine, WA, Truck Crossing (using Cascade Vehicle Transport) US$890
Total - in U.S. dollars US$32,890
Total - Converted to CAD CAD$32,564
Canadian Costs Associated with the Importation
Items Amount
Duty 6.1% on German-made vehicle CAD$1,972.50
GST @ 6% (payable on vehicle cost plus duty) CAD$2,064.51
Air Conditioner (AC) Levy CAD$100.00
Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV) Fee CAD$206.70
Temporary Insurance Binder from ICBC CAD$84.00
Canadian Trip Permit from ICBC CAD$32
Storage Insurance CAD$32
Modification work at BMW daytime running lights (negotiated into the deal) NIL
Apollo Muffler Provincial Inspection CAD$56.00
Canadian Tire Federal & Provincial Inspections CAD$104.79
PST 7% at ICBC when registering the vehicle (payable on vehicle cost plus duty) CAD$2,378.00
Total - in Canadian dollars CAD$6,923.71
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total Cost of Purchasing and Importing Vehicle: CAD$39,487.71

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Red book value on the car was CAD$55,000. With taxes included the total price would have been over CAD$62,000.

The estimated NET savings from this importation
was more than CAD$22,000!

On November 28, 2007, I purchased my 2006 525 Xi from a BMW Dealer in Pleasanton, California. As a part of the deal, they provided me with the Vehicle Inquiry Report which was an approved substitute for a Recall Clearance Letter, and they also switched on the daytime running lights. They did not hesitate to do anything I had asked. For this importation, I never set foot in California.
The dealership "Fedex"ed me everything that I needed to sign and even sent a return Fedex envelope.
I avoided paying California state taxes by having the car shipped to Blaine, Washington (truck crossing).
Arranging the shipment was the most difficult part of the process (lesson learned - don't go for the cheapest quote!). I had to hire another firm, Cascade Vehicle Transport. I called them on Monday, December 17, and they were able to pickup my car on December 18 and ship to Blaine, Washington on December 19.
The paper work was relatively effortless at the Blaine truck crossing. The first girl (nice one) never asked for the Letter of Admissibility. But after fiddling with the Red book, a little confused, she asked for some help. The second girl (not as nice) did ask for a Letter of Admissibility. Luckily, I had purchased that letter several weeks prior. After 5 minutes, they sent a border officer to ask me questions about the car. I had a copy of the bank draft as well as the website printout showing the car information and price (I highly recommend you have this info with you as well). I paid the GST, excise, duty, RIV fee and I was through. By the way, I've since heard that the Sumas crossing is easier...
I faxed RIV at 7:00am the next morning. I included the Title, the Letter of Admissibility, Vehicle Inquiry Report and Carfax Report. By 6:00pm I had a Form 2 sent back to me. Then, I went on holidays for a couple of days.
Today, December 27, I went to Apollo Muffler on West 2nd in Vancouver for my Provincial Inspection ($39.99 plus taxes). They asked me about the daytime running lights, they started the car looked at the lights, turn signals and said, "you pass"". That was less than 10 minutes.
I went over to Canadian Tire on Cambie Street. They were booked out to 3:00 pm for Federal Inspections. I therefore went to the Heather and Marine location where there were no line ups. They did ask for the Recall Cleanance Letter, I gave them the Vehicle Inquiry Report, Carfax Report, and the Letter of Admissiblity. They checked the VIN and 10 minutes later confirmed that I had passed the Federal Inspection.
Canadian Tire sent the fax of the completed inspection to RIV.
Next, I went to an Autoplan Dealer in Mackenzie Heights, who was very knowledgeable. There I completed the registration and insurance process for my new vehicle.

For the most part, importing my BMW was straightforward. With the exception of the new fee that BMW is charging for the Letter of Admissibility, I encountered no other obstacles. I'd suggest that BMW importers include up to $2,500 for BMW fees and modifications to be on the safe side - even though I was not charged all these fees.

This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI 00 80 07 dated November 2007.

SUBJECT
Vehicle conversion ? USA to Canada

MODEL
BMW and MINI models

SITUATION

BMW and MINI vehicles are built to operate correctly and to meet safety requirements in their respective markets. In Canada some of these important requirements that differentiate USA to Canadian cars are related to Daytime Running Lights (DRL), different instrumentation, hardware and software components.

The high sophistication of components involves a large amount of interactions and interdependencies between the fitted control units of a vehicle. This highlights the importance of carrying out a proper USA-Canada conversion as recommended by BMW AG, which not only ensures compliance of the systems, but also ensures the correct operation and interaction of all control units.

While some features can be modified by means of software which might appear to fulfill Canadian compliance and technical requirements for a correctly functioning vehicle, they do not. This type of modification is not suitable for correct functioning of the Daytime Running Lights and therefore cannot ensure compliance.

BMW Group does not support hard-wiring of Daytime Running Lights due to the complexity of the vehicle electronics.

On certain USA vehicles, depending on model, production date and specification, it is possible to have the Daytime Running Lights turned on by means of:

? The Personal Profile feature which allows the driver to switch the DRL function on and off from within the car using either the Controller (i-Drive) or Instrument Cluster functions. Turning on the DRL via the Controller or Instrument Cluster does NOT constitute
compliance.

? The Car Key Memory (CKM) functions. This feature was designed for USA vehicles only. Therefore operation and illumination brightness varies depending on the production date of the vehicle or software level of the relevant module. To ensure correct operation to Canadian specification, CKM must NOT be used as an alternative to performing the correct USA ? Canada conversion.

Depending on the model, the vehicle technology can be divided into two categories:
? Vehicles with an I-Level: E60/E61, E63/E64, E65/E66, E70, E90/E91/E92/E93, R56
? Vehicles without an I-Level: E46, E53, E83, E85/86, R50/R52/R53
Vehicles with an I-Level (Software Integration Level)
Situation for E60/E61, E63/E64, E65/E66, E70, E90/E91/E92/E93, R56 models

These models use Integration Software technology, usually referred to as an I-Level, which basically means all control modules fitted to a car have to be compatible with each other in order to function correctly ? they have to be at the correct I-Level.

Canadian specification vehicles are built with km/h Instrument Cluster, which is written into the Vehicle Order, which is the ?fingerprint? of the car, and this determines how all control units fitted to a vehicle interact. Therefore, for a car to be correctly converted for use in Canada it should have a km/h Instrument Cluster fitted and the relevant Vehicle Order modification carried out using the BMW Diagnostic and Programming equipment within the retailer workshop.

Using this correct process ensures the Daytime Driving Lights function as Canadian specification requires, and any future programming updates can be carried out without problems. If the correct process is not followed this invariably results in customer inconvenience, non-warrantable costs and potentially a non-compliant vehicle.

Another benefit from using the correct procedure for converting cars from USA to Canada is that technical support will be provided to assist with the conversion.

Note: Technical support may not be provided for programming, coding or diagnosis issues related to a vehicle not converted using the recommended procedure.

When carrying out the USA to Canada conversion using the BMW Diagnostic and Programming equipment the technician is instructed to replace the Instrument Cluster (Kombi) and on E60/61/63/64 models the Heater Control Module (IHKA), before the conversion can be carried out.

This is due to the I-Level needing the correct control module for operation within the vehicle electronics network and therefore cannot be worked around without replacing the specific part. Note: The USA R56 models only have a MPH display, km/h marking are required, so the Instrument Cluster (speedometer) should be replaced with the Canadian km/h version.

Vehicles without an I-Level (Software Integration Level)
Situation for BMW E46, E53, E83, E85/E86, R50/R52/R53
For vehicles without an Integration Level, the control modules infrastructure does not have the same inter-dependencies based on Software and Hardware. Therefore, the Instrument Cluster does not need to be replaced, except for the R50/R52/R53 ? see note.

The Progman procedure must be followed to ensure the Canadian specific options are compliant and included in the Vehicle Order or Central Encoding Key (ZCS).
Note: R50/R52/R53 models require a replacement Instrument Cluster and Rev Counter due to the location of several warning lights causing incorrect illumination or not lighting at all, such as the Fasten Seatbelt light.

USA to Canada conversion (status as of 11/2007):

Models Parts required Tech Dept assist Other work required
E46 No No ? Progman OK CKM for other settings
E53 No No ? Progman OK CKM for other settings
E60/E61,Kombi No - Progman OK i-Drive for other settings
E63/E64 and IHKAN
E65/E66 Kombi No ? Progman OK i-Drive for other settings
E70 Kombi Yes ? modified VO i-Drive for other settings
E83 No Yes ? modified VO CKM for other settings
E85/E86 No Yes ? modified VO CKM for other settings
E90/E91/E92/E93 Kombi No ? Progman OK Kombi / i-Drive for other settings
R50/R52/R53 Kombi and Rev counter No ? Progman OK CKM for other settings
R56* Kombi Yes ? modified VO Kombi / i-Drive for other settings

*Note: The USA R56 models only have a MPH display, km/h marking are required, so the Instrument Cluster (speedometer) should be replaced with the Canadian km/h version.

Legend
Progman: Diagnostic and Programming software for SSS
CKM: Car Key Memory
VO: Vehicle Order
Other settings: Temperature display, Board Computer display, mileage display
Kombi: Instrument Cluster
Old 03-08-2008, 05:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Congratulations Ned , I believe you have just posted the longest(and possibly most informative) post in the history of this Forum
Old 03-08-2008, 06:14 AM
Members

Thanks, and why are we up so early...
Old 03-08-2008, 06:19 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by nedchiu' post='541505' date='Mar 8 2008, 10:14 AM
Thanks, and why are we up so early...
Was thinking of heading to Whistler, then decided it was better to stay home and finish some important chores like checking out the new M3 at Jessel's !!
Old 03-08-2008, 10:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Congrats on the car and enjoy the forum!

Quick Reply: Hello from Vancouver