New Member Introductions Please introduce yourself. Everyone here was once new to the 5 Series Forums so don't be shy! Welcome!

Hello! My name is Jody and I am...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 05:57 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 525i, mystic blue metallic, black leather interior, dark poplar wood trim, premium package, navigation, iPod, park distance control, voice activation, bluetooth. Mods: Full M-Tech Kit, ACS Rep Rear Window Spoiler, ACS Rep Rear Deck Spoiler, ACS Rep Quad Diffuser, ACS Rep Exhaust Tips, Remus Duel Exhaust, De-badge, 20% Tint Front and Rear, Umnitza Predator Ice V2, HID fog lights, Clear Side Marker Light Bulbs (yellow when on), Dark Poplar Wood Shifter, Dark Poplar Wood e-Brake Handle, Dark Poplar Wood Steering Wheel Inserts, OEM Steel Pedals, OEM M Footrest, 19 inch OEM 121s (Summer), 18 inch 124s (Winter), Shadowline Window Trim, Blacked-out Kidney Grills

Hello Everyone,

My name is Jody and I am in the Air Force, stationed in Germany. I don't follow directions too well and posted my first post in the general discussion forum. I just bought my first BMW. I bought a 2007 525i and love it. It was a divorce present to myself. I traded my 05 Jeep and th e07 Mini I had bought for my wife for it - I am sure she won't mind :-)

I am very familiar with BMWs. I was the Commander of the protective service detail (like Secret Service) for the Commanding General of all Air Forces in Europe. We used european armored cars to blend in and I got to become familiar with BMW, Mercedes and Audi. I had two armored BMWs (2005 745iL and 2004 760iL) and two armored Mercedes (2005 S500 and 2006 S600). We also had two X5s (4.4L) and two Q7s (4.2L) for chase vehicles. I can tell you that I learned that I prefered the BMW sedans to the Mercedes sedans. Just a personal preference, but it was nice to figure it out without having to spend my own money to do so! As for the SUVs, the Q7 is hard to beat but the new X5 seems like it would give it a run for it's money.

So, with my wife out of the picture it looked like the perfect time to buy a BMW. The BMW military sales here have a small used car selection. The manager was great and worked with me. I was looking at a couple of the 3 series cars they had, I didn't think I could afford a 5 series. I just knew that the 3 series would be fun but would eventually be too small for my needs. The manager told me that he just receievd a 2007 525, the owner had bought the car from them new a year ago but was deployed and he traded it in on a new 750 for when he returned. The car was still being detailed. He had them bring it up and that was all it took. It was only a couple thousand more than the 3 series I was looking at (2007 335i).

The car has all the options I would have selected if I had ordered it. The only thing I would have added is the cold weather package. It is mystic blue with black leather interior. It has the Premium package, bluetooth, NAV, and PDC. I had them install the iPod adapter before delivery and also picked up the rubber floor mats for the wet German Spring.

I have been able to stretch it out on the autoban regulary and love it. Even though it is the 525, I am more than happy with its accelertation and speed.

I have removed the badging, I like the clean look to the trunk lid. I am putting the reflectors on the back bumber.

I want to get the windows timted and put some OEM 18 rims on it. I think the 17 inch rims look too small for the car size.

Does anyone in Europe have any 18s they want to sell?

Anyway, I look forward to learning from all of you here. I am glad I found the forum!

-Jody
Old 04-28-2008, 07:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i Alpine White with Navi and Premium PackageIn progress: OEM Mtech kit, H&R Sport Springs, and 19

Hey, welcome Jody. Car sounds great, load some pics up... I would look into 19s. I know they are more but quite a few members here bought replicas and seem to be quite satisfied with a few more dead presidents in their wallets. Good luck and welcome again...
Old 04-28-2008, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

welcome to the forum...congrats on your new car...pics are always appreciated

definitely check the classified section for wheels...if there is not a set there, i'm sure some local members to you can point you to a local vendor. Let the mod'n begin

+1 for the 19" wheel suggestion...but its always personal preference on wheel choice...
Old 04-28-2008, 08:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Jody, congrats on the new (to you) car and enjoy the forums!!
Old 04-28-2008, 08:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Carbon Black 550i, Sports, Premium & Cold Weather Packages, Steptronic, HUD, NAV.

Welcome! Enjoy your car! Ramstein...is that the same place where Italian accident happened?
Old 04-28-2008, 09:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 525i, mystic blue metallic, black leather interior, dark poplar wood trim, premium package, navigation, iPod, park distance control, voice activation, bluetooth. Mods: Full M-Tech Kit, ACS Rep Rear Window Spoiler, ACS Rep Rear Deck Spoiler, ACS Rep Quad Diffuser, ACS Rep Exhaust Tips, Remus Duel Exhaust, De-badge, 20% Tint Front and Rear, Umnitza Predator Ice V2, HID fog lights, Clear Side Marker Light Bulbs (yellow when on), Dark Poplar Wood Shifter, Dark Poplar Wood e-Brake Handle, Dark Poplar Wood Steering Wheel Inserts, OEM Steel Pedals, OEM M Footrest, 19 inch OEM 121s (Summer), 18 inch 124s (Winter), Shadowline Window Trim, Blacked-out Kidney Grills

Thanks guys!

bauska, yes Ramstein is the place where the Italians crashed into the crowd those years ago. Since then, the Germans have banned airshow demonstrations for everywhere except for once a year in Berlin.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I wonder what shipping would be to my military APO here. For USPS, it costs the same to send things to me as shipping to New York because the military picks it up from there. Hmm...

Will the 19 inch wheels rub on my fenders?

Thanks,
Jody
Old 04-28-2008, 03:14 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, Titanium silver, Sports package, Comfort seats, Satellite radio, PDC, Rear sun shades, Logic 7 stereo, Cold weather package, Fold down rear seats, Active cruise control. Blue-tooth phone Mods: Full window tint, 3M clear front protector, Charcoal filter delete, Sprint Booster

Originally Posted by wacopolumbo' post='569911' date='Apr 28 2008, 08:57 AM
Hello Everyone,

My name is Jody and I am in the Air Force, stationed in Germany. I don't follow directions too well and posted my first post in the general discussion forum. I just bought my first BMW. I bought a 2007 525i and love it. It was a divorce present to myself. I traded my 05 Jeep and th e07 Mini I had bought for my wife for it - I am sure she won't mind :-)

I am very familiar with BMWs. I was the Commander of the protective service detail (like Secret Service) for the Commanding General of all Air Forces in Europe. We used european armored cars to blend in and I got to become familiar with BMW, Mercedes and Audi. I had two armored BMWs (2005 745iL and 2004 760iL) and two armored Mercedes (2005 S500 and 2006 S600). We also had two X5s (4.4L) and two Q7s (4.2L) for chase vehicles. I can tell you that I learned that I prefered the BMW sedans to the Mercedes sedans. Just a personal preference, but it was nice to figure it out without having to spend my own money to do so! As for the SUVs, the Q7 is hard to beat but the new X5 seems like it would give it a run for it's money.

So, with my wife out of the picture it looked like the perfect time to buy a BMW. The BMW military sales here have a small used car selection. The manager was great and worked with me. I was looking at a couple of the 3 series cars they had, I didn't think I could afford a 5 series. I just knew that the 3 series would be fun but would eventually be too small for my needs. The manager told me that he just receievd a 2007 525, the owner had bought the car from them new a year ago but was deployed and he traded it in on a new 750 for when he returned. The car was still being detailed. He had them bring it up and that was all it took. It was only a couple thousand more than the 3 series I was looking at (2007 335i).

The car has all the options I would have selected if I had ordered it. The only thing I would have added is the cold weather package. It is mystic blue with black leather interior. It has the Premium package, bluetooth, NAV, and PDC. I had them install the iPod adapter before delivery and also picked up the rubber floor mats for the wet German Spring.

I have been able to stretch it out on the autoban regulary and love it. Even though it is the 525, I am more than happy with its accelertation and speed.

I have removed the badging, I like the clean look to the trunk lid. I am putting the reflectors on the back bumber.

I want to get the windows timted and put some OEM 18 rims on it. I think the 17 inch rims look too small for the car size.

Does anyone in Europe have any 18s they want to sell?

Anyway, I look forward to learning from all of you here. I am glad I found the forum!

-Jody
Welcome Jody,

Enjoy the forum, great bunch of people.

Tim
Old 04-28-2008, 03:21 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

welcome and enjoy the forums.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i Alpine White with Navi and Premium PackageIn progress: OEM Mtech kit, H&R Sport Springs, and 19

No rubbing, just get the right tires. Most guys on here have 19s... I'm eager myself but I gotta wait till the end of the year. Good luck
Old 04-28-2008, 08:57 PM
Contributors

lightfytr, thanks for the suggestion and information!

Here are some pics:

This last one, my mom took. I had just brought the car out of the hotel garage in southern Germany.

Quick Reply: Hello! My name is Jody and I am...