New Member Introductions Please introduce yourself. Everyone here was once new to the 5 Series Forums so don't be shy! Welcome!

Hello fellow BMW Fanatics

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 01:10 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009 BMW 535i xDrive - Comfort Access - Sun Blinds - Comfort Seats - Navigation Professional - Automatic High Beams - Night Vision - Head Up Display - Lane Deviation Warning - Active Cruise Control with Stop+Go
Default Hello fellow BMW Fanatics

Hello everyone. This week I picked up a fully loaded 2009 535i xDrive (it even has night vision and active cruise control and so on!). It's fantastic! Really loving it so far. Prior to this car I had a 2009 328i xDrive. Before that a 2006 530xi. And my very first BMW was a 2002 325xi. I love these cars and my new e60 leaves me with a perma-grin.

Looking forward to learning a lot on these forums. Later!

-DB
Old 07-23-2016, 07:28 PM
Administrator

Received 96 Likes on 92 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

You obviously love AWD cars, don't you? (Me too ) Welcome to the forum !
Old 07-26-2016, 12:26 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2009 BMW 535i xDrive - Comfort Access - Sun Blinds - Comfort Seats - Navigation Professional - Automatic High Beams - Night Vision - Head Up Display - Lane Deviation Warning - Active Cruise Control with Stop+Go

Thanks for the welcome! As for the AWD thing, yeah, a bit! My wife gets nervous with inclement weather. The AWD gives her peace of mind. Our other car is a MB GLK350 4MATIC. We stay with the AWD.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:34 PM
Administrator

I'd be interested on your impressions of the bimmer vs. the benz. What features of each do you like most and least?
Old 07-27-2016, 06:48 AM
New Members

I'd be interested on your impressions of the bimmer vs. the benz. What features of each do you like most and least?
Well, I've regularly driven the BMWs listed in my original post. I've also driven the F10 for a bit and also a good deal of the X series. My favorite BMW to drive thus far is a E60, that's actually why I went back and got one a second time. But this time 535. The 530 was great, but acceleration wise they feel like different animals. I love the 535i.

As for the Benz vs BMW impressions, here's what I'll say. I was raised to prefer Mercedes-Benz over BMW. My dad always told me Benz was better built and BMWs were all fluff and assholes drive them. Becoming an adult and trying both out and working it out for myself, it's complicated. I strongly disagree that BMWs are all fluff and when I got my 530xi I made my dad take it out and drive it around, over various terrain and driving conditions and to his credit, he changed his tune. He really liked the 530xi.

So side by side comparison? The ride quality on a Mercedes is superior. It rides magnificently. But the E60 is much quieter in the cabin which I enjoy.

The E60 handling is much better than an E350 from that same time period.

For the stereo? We have the Harmon Kardon system in the Benz and also the L7 in the E60. The E60 stereo system is light years better quality wise. Dial in that 7 band EQ and you have an amazingly well rounded sound system.

For the COMAND vs iDrive system? COMAND is much better. I'm not an iDrive hater, really I'm not. I've never hated it and find some people's complaints about the system a bit like whining. Learn the system and it's not difficult to use, but no matter what the COMAND system is just better compared to the CCC iDrive.

However, when it comes to handling and fun to drive? BMW hands down. The Benz is great when I just want to relax, but when I want to drive? BMW.

Also, I am a bit of a gadget guy tech nerd. And BMW has that all over Benz. Even my 06 530xi had head up display, etc. My '09 535 xDrive is even better. They ticked every box when they made it. Night Vision, Head Up, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Automatic High Beams and so on. It's been a flat out joy to drive and enjoy.

I've found BMWs to have far more technology and "luxury" features, where Mercedes-Benz tends to stick with an emphasis on safety and is more conservative, even in features. For instance, my 2010 GLK we bought brand new, and loaded it. What's missing? Automatic folding mirrors. Wasn't even an option. Little things like that are what gives the technology edge to BMW. I've said in the past I think that Mercedes-Benz tends to be on the forefront of safety innovations where BMW tends to be first for comfort and technology options. As I mentioned previously, my 2006 530xi had a head up display. There are things that you can get on a BMW that aren't even options on a Mercedes. And for me, I love the features.

That all being said, I love driving them both. My wife and I lived in Center City Philadelphia for 10 years without a car. When we moved out and bought a house, we got a car. And we shared the car. Eventually, we bought a second car and since we bought them as a couple, we don't have a "his car" and "her car." This lets me choose which car I want to drive based off the task at hand. So it's a win-win!

Hope that gives some insight.

-DB
Old 07-27-2016, 06:56 AM
Administrator

Thanks for the great review!