New Member Introductions Please introduce yourself. Everyone here was once new to the 5 Series Forums so don't be shy! Welcome!

Hello from England

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 12:10 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 520d Black & SL350

I'm a Scotsman living in England.

I've had a Volvo S80 auto and a Mercedes C Class auto since my last BMW, a 528i SE Auto. They were all petrol.

The 528i was a great car. The Volvo was very comfortable but was a boat in terms of handling and thirsty. I've found the C Class to be a great little car with the automatic gearbox being particularly good.

I've finally bowed to the UK tax system and ordered a 520d SE. Extras are professional satnav, Xenon headlights, which can see round corners and an upgraded stereo system. Colour is black. Basically, I have gone for function over form.

I took a 520d for a 24 hour test drive and found it to be reasonably nippy, if a little peaky with the torque. I'll be sure to try the "Adaptive throttle trick" on my car when it arrives (should it feel like it needs it...)

I had narrowed it down to the 520d or an Audi A6 Multitronic. The Multitronic gearbox is relatively attractive within the context of the UK company car tax rules, as it doesn't incur much more cost than the manual equivalent as the CVT box is so efficient. By contrast, the automatic gearbox option on the 520d really hammers fuel efficiency and is quite a bit more expensive for tax.

Anyway, I drove the A6 (they only had a manual) and it was surprisingly swift but the front wheel drive was really noticeable (and not good) even on such a low powered car. You know that feeling of drastic understeer you get when you try to pull out sharpish at a junction?

I think I'd pretty much settled on the Beemer anyway, but the clincher was the dealerships. They were within half a mile of each other. The Audi dealer was a dump, they'd lost my email enquiry, the guy who gave me the keys to the loaner disappeared during the 15 minutes we took the car out and nobody else seemed to realise the car was even out! The office was a dump with a stained carpeted floor and spiky haired 20 year old salesmen slouching around. I advised them that I'd made a request for a 24 hour test drive on their website but heard nothing so they promised to set it up for me. This was three weeks ago and I'm still waiting. Bear in mind, this is after telling them I'd be ordering within a week!

By contrast, the BMW dealer was utterly professional. They'd replied to my internet enquiry about a test drive within an hour of me sending it. He'd noted the reply that I was tied up in a meeting from 1600 onwards so I knew he was telling the truth. The dealer talked me through a couple of queries I had about some options and clearly knew his stuff. The dealership itself is modern, clean and has a vast selection of models on show. They fixed up the 24 hour test drive for me on a day to suit me. Exemplary stuff.

I did consider some other cars. Jaguar S Type - too retro styled for my liking. Volvo S80 doesn't excite me in any way (but the D5 is a fine engine). Mercedes E Class as per Volvo S80 - just a bit boring. New Mercedes C Class - I wanted something a wee bit more spacious and to spec up to the same level as my 520d meant it wasn't much cheaper anyway. Chrysler 300C - No. I understand that the X-Type is actually a reasonable car, but to me it looks like the Jaguar bit on the top has been spliced on top of some other car - it has the sleek front end of an earlier Jag but a foot too high off the ground. Just too retro again. The boot is the wrong shape too. Lexus IS and Alfa Romeo are both too small.

Sorry my first post was a bit of a long one but the telly's crap tonight...

Lancaster
Old 06-20-2007, 01:30 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: G30 530i M-sport
Model Year: 2018

Congrats on the new wheels and welcome to the forum. I've found a wealth of information, assistance and fun here in the short time that I've been a member so dive in and enjoy ...
Old 06-20-2007, 01:40 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

congrats on your order. enjoy it once it comes in. in the meantime, welcome and enjoy the forums.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E60 M5

Old 06-20-2007, 04:03 PM
Members

My Ride: 520d saloon, manual 6 ratios, olivin metallic, star spoke 122 alloys, delete boot badge, bi-xenon adaptive headlights including washers, graduated tinted windscreen, exterior and interior mirror auto dimming plus electric folding door mirrors, extended light package, dakota beige leather, dark poplar wood, electric seat adjustment including memory function, heated front seats, advanced climate control, velour floor mats, sliding front armrest, lumbar support for front seats.

Good purchase, I had same dilemma with Audi. I had 2 of the old A6s in a row and I don't think the new one is a patch on those in terms of overall quality. :thumbsdown: I think Audi have finally come to the conclusion that they were making their cars more plush than required especially the interior and so have taken it down a notch in common with the newer VWs.

Found my 520d more than adequate for driving although you lose the urge low down so got to get used to that. Adaptive throttle feature didn't work for me when I tried it the other night.

Anyway, enjoy......
Old 06-20-2007, 10:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530d Sport Touring (E61). Silver Grey, Automatic, Professional SatNav, Black Leather, Heated Seats, Folding Mirrors, 6CD changer, Bi-Xenons, Bluetooth

I hope you enjoy your return to the BMW fold - was there any reason why you left in the first place?
When will your car arrive - do you know whether it will be one of the first with the uprated 2.0 diesel due in September?
Old 06-21-2007, 09:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 520d Black & SL350

Originally Posted by Mike O' post='438108' date='Jun 21 2007, 06:11 AM
I hope you enjoy your return to the BMW fold - was there any reason why you left in the first place?
When will your car arrive - do you know whether it will be one of the first with the uprated 2.0 diesel due in September?
Thanks for all the replies.

I guess I just didn't want the same car twice in a row - there was no new model when I was changing and the Volvo tricked me with it's pop up satnav and TV. Bad decision...

I haven't specifically ordered a September car - I suppose it just depends on how long they take to deliver. Knowing my luck, the last one of the current version will roll up outside my door on 31 August...

Regards

Lancaster
Old 07-13-2007, 06:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Welcome to the best e60 forum in the world and have fun too