Meet & Greet Discussion Plan for and discuss meet and greets with fellow forum members along with other BMW events. Share the results too!

Word to the Wise ----Driving to BIMMERFEST

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 06:37 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Silver 535i Virgin--Becoming a Beast!

Hi Guys!

I was told today and yesterday by somebody "high up" with CHP in CA. If you think you are driving up/down to Santa Barbara with:

illegal tintillegal bumper(no front license plate)smoked/darkly colored lenses/tailights

You are going to be pulled over and ticketed. No question about it. CHP is mobilizing in insane numbers to "generate revenue" for the state of CA.

Play it cool and make sure to respect the CHP Officer. They will likely be "FIX-IT" tickets only --but the officers have discretion to make it worse and write something as a "moving violation" that will go on your DMV record.

I got my Front License plate installed today and it looks like absolute shit. I will bring a screwdriver and remove it when I get there. I have no idea what kind of holes it will leave but it will still look better sans plate/bracket.

No time to remove my tint but can always roll the windows down and keep them down. (Like it will matter---my car is PIMPED and they are looking for it---

So my fellow E60 brethren, be vigilant and watch either other's backs.

So Cal (Jay C)
Old 05-01-2008, 06:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 jet black 530I, M-tech body kit, ac shnitzer roof and trunk spoiler. kelleners sport exhaust and pully kit on its way from germany.

thanks for the heads up. good knowledge...
Old 05-01-2008, 06:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 535i, Platinum Gray, Sport Pkg

Thanks Jay - I guess i'll mount my plate tomorrow. Hopefully 35% tint won't alert TOO much. See you on Saturday!
Old 05-01-2008, 06:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Ha, that is why I have 50% tint.

Also, I guess it's a good thing I'm going at Friday evening and the fact that I'm driving a Merc. CHiP won't even know I'm heading to Bimmerfest.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by SoCalM5Mang' post='572725' date='May 1 2008, 07:37 PM
Hi Guys!

I was told today and yesterday by somebody "high up" with CHP in CA. If you think you are driving up/down to Santa Barbara with:

illegal tintillegal bumper(no front license plate)smoked/darkly colored lenses/tailights

You are going to be pulled over and ticketed. No question about it. CHP is mobilizing in insane numbers to "generate revenue" for the state of CA.

Play it cool and make sure to respect the CHP Officer. They will likely be "FIX-IT" tickets only --but the officers have discretion to make it worse and write something as a "moving violation" that will go on your DMV record.

I got my Front License plate installed today and it looks like absolute shit. I will bring a screwdriver and remove it when I get there. I have no idea what kind of holes it will leave but it will still look better sans plate/bracket.

No time to remove my tint but can always roll the windows down and keep them down. (Like it will matter---my car is PIMPED and they are looking for it---

So my fellow E60 brethren, be vigilant and watch either other's backs.

So Cal (Jay C)
+1, heard this from 2 of my CHP patients today as well....they are definitely looking to increase revenue and know of this event. CHP office is off of the 101 in woodland hills...they are pretty active around that area also due to people coming off the canyon roads...drive safely all...
Old 05-01-2008, 07:11 PM
Contributors

I too have 50% tint!

Not to mention I'll be rolling w/a buddy who is in law enforement. Professional courtesy is a beautiful thing!!
Old 05-01-2008, 07:39 PM
Members

I have looked into Friday's caravan in Monterey and San Luis Obispo county.

No special enforcement is scheduled, per my CHP/Bimmer buddy.

He said the guys in those jurisdictions are cool (as we saw in the E60 meet) UNLESS you are being a dipshit and gratuitously breaking the law with regards to excessive speed, racing, or the like.

He thought I'd be fine with no plate and my tint.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:00 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

I just got a fix-it ticket for no front plate a few weeks ago and have till the 9th to clear it so I'll bring it a long with me. hahaha

On the other hand, do I even want them to pull me over in the first place?
Old 05-01-2008, 08:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

..........hey the double sided tape trick for the front plates sounds like the trick !!
Old 05-01-2008, 08:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Ah so I dont feel bad for not being able to go. Saves me some tickets and hassle.

Quick Reply: Word to the Wise ----Driving to BIMMERFEST