Meet & Greet Discussion Plan for and discuss meet and greets with fellow forum members along with other BMW events. Share the results too!

NorCal Caravan to Central Cali (SLO) Meet - Mar 8, 2008

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 05:57 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F13 M6

great stories guys looking forward to seeing those videos, and hopefully sometime next time in person. and sorry i couldnt help but laugh a little with the whole ECU ECF thing haha
Old 03-10-2008, 06:27 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='542640
About the conversation Joe and I had at my house, I'm actually more conservative in my estimate of my car's power so I keep thinking I will probably lose, instead of thinking in my head that I could beat him. Some day we'll find out.
I asked Teri without baiting her, since she got to see it all, and her money is on you, as well.

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='542640' date='Mar 10 2008, 05:46 PM
Although the runs were exciting, I was nervous as hell because we slowed down traffic behind us a few times and I kept thinking someone's gonna call the cops and not even the free E60.net polo would have bailed us out of jail at that point.
Agreed, that would not have been good at all; although, I was not even thinking about that at the time. I did tell Teri to scan the road ahead. Poor Teri, I was telling her to video the AMG's then no Video us. Everytime V1 and I had a chance (and V1 was on the right of me) she had already turned the camera off and put it in the back seat. I was like what the heck!

I need to teach her to be a better co-pilot. There was a nice shot of the AMG's rolling away from us then she zoomed, maybe I could play that one off like we were catching the AMG's like they were standing still!

V1 - HAHA! My new friends V1 and ECU. Maybe I should stay off the Patron
Old 03-10-2008, 06:36 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='542391' date='Mar 10 2008, 10:16 AM
We had some fun runs but I think we all still need some practice to get our execution better. Although I did pretty good, I think was lucky and got in the right gear/speed at the right time. In hindsight, I know I would need practice to make it second nature. Even a split second of delay will cost you.
Tony, SMG should make things easy. Just start at the lowest gear, fastest shift settings and shift at redline. I'm sure your M button already has the highest power settings. Don't over think things with MPH and RPMs, just tap the paddle until the lowest possible gear is selected, that should be your start gear. With a traditional manual, you have to worry about starting to close to redline, but with SMG, it shouldn't be a problem.

Oh and thank you for the test drive, the car is really incredible. Thanks to Joe as well for the test drive of the E63. I've always thought I didn't really need the extra power, but it really is addicting. Both wonderful cars.

Was Glock at the P500 sport setting or whatever it was.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:40 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Good point Ken. SMG will prevent you from downshifting to a gear that would put you past redline. Never thought about that.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

where are the vids????
Old 03-10-2008, 07:39 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='542678' date='Mar 10 2008, 06:40 PM
Good point Ken. SMG will prevent you from downshifting to a gear that would put you past redline. Never thought about that.
That is all fine as long as you do that before you launch. I think the issue was that trying to line up I was keeping it one gear higher than I wanted to launch at to avoid cruising at a high RPM. I didn't downshift until the third honk which causes a bit of a lag. You really need to already be in the lowest gear. That is what I learned. If you simply click all the way down there will still be a lag while it hunts for the gear. So you need to do that ahead of time. I knew what gear to be in without relying on the SMG to protect me. Also, Tony and I started at a wierd speed. We had two AMG's ahead of us and we did not want to run them over, HAHA!

Next time I will just wait for the first honk and then put it in the lowest gear. Tony had no problem, he basically confirmed that is what he did and it showed, big time (just as Brad's did against Joe's AMG)! Even still I think Tony was still pulling on me a bit (albeit slight). He has more mods and should.

When it happened I knew exactly what I did and was annoyed. We never got the chance to run again. Never launching like this I learned that this is not the way to do it.

The third run against Joe which was after I got smoked by Tony I tried this and I thought I caught Joe offguard or something with the jump I got and stopped as per my earlier post due to wifey. Who knows maybe I did, but thinking back I think his trany was hunting for a gear and mine was already there BIG DIFFERENCE!

I still want that third run Joe! And as stupid as this may sound a rematch against Tony even though I know I will probably loose unless I start modding.

It kind of scares me how much I enjoyed this even while losing. A good way to end up without a license. I need to get to the track and get it out of my system there!

I don't know if it was the smartest thing giving him the Polo. Hope he is not lurking here. We should carry extra m5board t-shirts next time!
Old 03-10-2008, 09:38 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Glock-357' post='542706' date='Mar 10 2008, 07:39 PM
I don't know if it was the smartest thing giving him the Polo. Hope he is not lurking here. We should carry extra m5board t-shirts next time!
Indeed.

And definitely be in gear before the whole honk thing goes down.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Originally Posted by Glock-357' post='542616' date='Mar 10 2008, 05:05 PM
The first run with VT and I was a joke (I only went to 4th gear with a 60-mph rolling start and was in S5 with DSC on)?

The second run was much better only because I think our cars were both hunting for the downshift at the same time. I do not know about slowly walking off on that run, though VT ... I did wus out a bit as we came up on the sweeper. It was close, maybe you were walking off a bit, but I think it might have been closer than ECF and I after we got past the launch.
You're right, the first run was not a good one. The second one was better b/c I could tell that both our cars were hunting for the right gear and found it at exactly the same time. I noticed that we also shifted into the next gear at the same time too. I thought I walked you a little bit but that probably because you slowed down before me.

With that said my money is on ECF, sorry VT (but who am I to say ). Cute how you and ECF resolved it in the driveway , as friend would (you both might have been thinking something different, my guess). You guys will need to run.
Been trying forever to get ECF to run and the one chance I get, I run everyone else except him.

I can't believe how well matched the AMG's and the M5's are. That was a ton of fun and I hope I never have to skip out on the caravan even if I do have to wait an hour for VT to install his Blue Bra.
Hey now, we were waiting for Brad to tape up his front Sunday morning. Anyway, I agree about how well matched the AMG and Ms are. It all boils down to experience and some engine mods.

There was a third run with VT and I, but I got such a jump coupled with the wife yelling "What are you doing, your supposed to wait for him to honk back" that I beleived her and let off, ughh. VT looked at me like what the heck are you doing. VT, Do you remeber that? Were you ready on that one? I might have been already in the right gear, though (i.e. same sort of thing that happened when the AMG's were running). I did not think the point was to get a jump anyways. Kind of figured we were just comparing the cars and trying to get the same launch.
I don't remember the third run... I know we had some miscommunication that aborted a few of our runs. Next time, let's use our cell phones with headsets. It's easier to say "1, 2, 3, go!" then strain to hear three honks.

Hard to believe there is so much room for driver error on a rolling start, I know better now what to do, I think.

Good rolling with you guys. Looking forward to meeting up with you again in the near future.
Now, you know! Get prepared for Saratoga Springs next month.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Originally Posted by Glock-357' post='542706' date='Mar 10 2008, 07:39 PM
That is all fine as long as you do that before you launch. I think the issue was that trying to line up I was keeping it one gear higher than I wanted to launch at to avoid cruising at a high RPM. I didn't downshift until the third honk which causes a bit of a lag. You really need to already be in the lowest gear. That is what I learned. If you simply click all the way down there will still be a lag while it hunts for the gear. So you need to do that ahead of time. I knew what gear to be in without relying on the SMG to protect me. Also, Tony and I started at a wierd speed. We had two AMG's ahead of us and we did not want to run them over, HAHA!

Next time I will just wait for the first honk and then put it in the lowest gear. Tony had no problem, he basically confirmed that is what he did and it showed, big time (just as Brad's did against Joe's AMG)! Even still I think Tony was still pulling on me a bit (albeit slight). He has more mods and should.

When it happened I knew exactly what I did and was annoyed. We never got the chance to run again. Never launching like this I learned that this is not the way to do it.

The third run against Joe which was after I got smoked by Tony I tried this and I thought I caught Joe offguard or something with the jump I got and stopped as per my earlier post due to wifey. Who knows maybe I did, but thinking back I think his trany was hunting for a gear and mine was already there BIG DIFFERENCE!

I still want that third run Joe! And as stupid as this may sound a rematch against Tony even though I know I will probably loose unless I start modding.
The next time we meet up let's discuss about how to shift the gears. It's very important. It's how I beat ECF when he had his 545i and I mine. I knew that my 545i SMG could hold 60 mph in 2nd gear while ECF's Step 545i had to upshift to 3rd at 60 mph. The second time we ran it was even b/c we both started in the same gear.

You'll get your chance to run me again!
Old 03-10-2008, 10:21 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Glock-357' post='542665' date='Mar 10 2008, 06:27 PM
HAHA sorry EuroCarFan (maybe I'll just try that for now). After all that I must be thinking about sending in my ECU or something.
EuroCarFan gets old real quick... ECF is much easier. Same with vegastrashed... Socal peeps just shortened it to VT. Works for me.

I asked Teri without baiting her, since she got to see it all, and her money is on you, as well.
Only one way to find out.

Agreed, that would not have been good at all; although, I was not even thinking about that at the time. I did tell Teri to scan the road ahead. Poor Teri, I was telling her to video the AMG's then no Video us. Everytime VT and I had a chance (and VT was on the right of me) she had already turned the camera off and put it in the back seat. I was like what the heck!

I need to teach her to be a better co-pilot. There was a nice shot of the AMG's rolling away from us then she zoomed, maybe I could play that one off like we were catching the AMG's like they were standing still!
Made the correction.

V1 - HAHA! My new friends V1 and ECU. Maybe I should stay off the Patron
It's not the Patron. It's your subconscious telling you to get a Valentine One and a ECU reflash.

Quick Reply: NorCal Caravan to Central Cali (SLO) Meet - Mar 8, 2008