Meet & Greet Discussion Plan for and discuss meet and greets with fellow forum members along with other BMW events. Share the results too!

I'm back from the 'Ring...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006 | 06:41 AM
Senior Members

Nice, very nice.
2 things that i don't understand:
1. Why DSC on? Even if it was raining, dsc fully on is too much. It's like wanting to drive hard with the nanny on board.
2. What was that argentinian file? in the 2nd pic...are that leftovers or what? sorry it doesn't seem too yummy for me, in fact it looks like smth my dog would leave behind.
Old 04-04-2006 | 06:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Great report ! good insight on what to expect if one goes to the ring....
Old 04-04-2006 | 06:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: (E60) 535D M-Sport (DMS)

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='264456' date='Apr 4 2006, 09:41 AM
Nice, very nice.
2 things that i don't understand:
1. Why DSC on? Even if it was raining, dsc fully on is too much. It's like wanting to drive hard with the nanny on board.
2. What was that argentinian file? in the 2nd pic...are that leftovers or what? sorry it doesn't seem too yummy for me, in fact it looks like smth my dog would leave behind.
Believe me, without about 50+ laps of experience, you'd really not want to push on round the Ring without the DSC fully on, especially in the rain. Many sections have trees overhanging & the crap that comes off them leaves the track surface very slippy in the wet.

When i took the RS6 round & that's Quattro with some trick damping, i only did 2 dry laps with Traction Control off & that was enough for me as normal road cars are really not designed to run very quickly round a track & you need the DSC to find those limits whilst not trashing the car or injuring yourself.
Old 04-04-2006 | 07:03 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i M-sports package, carbon black,Beige leather dakota, Steptronic, active steering, anti-theft alarm, sunblinds for rear window and back seat window, interior and exterior mirror with anti-dazzel function, poplar brown dark, comfort seats, PDC, extended lights package, Hi-Fi loudspeakers, Innovation Package (contains Xenon, Headlight washers, adaptive headlights, Comfort access), automatic air-conditioning, professional radio, individual high gloss satine chrome,Sunroof

awesome pictures and description
like w8pmc said looks like u had fun... well, except the waiting
Old 04-04-2006 | 07:09 AM
IMU
Contributors

1. Basically what w8pmc said. DSC is a fantastic piece of kit but don't think that it will save you when you over-cook it too much. A guy in our group managed a full 360 degree spin on one section of the Ring in his E46 M3 with DSC fully activated. His DSC was overwhelmed with the BHP/torque and could not change the laws of physics. There are very few people who would risk driving a wet-ring without any sort of traction control. We saw an E34 M5 and other cars which had no TC whatsoever, but their drivers were very experienced and knew exactly what to do to avoid incident. Apart from such veterans, only the Ring Taxis drive without DSC engaged. The 'Ring has very little run-off and very expensive armco and recovery costs should you get it wrong. Until you have driven it yourself, it may be difficult to explain why it demands 100% respect.

2. Argentinian fillet steak, cooked by yourself on a piping hot stone slab. The pictures do not do it justice
Old 04-04-2006 | 07:11 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='264456' date='Apr 4 2006, 03:41 PM
Why DSC on? Even if it was raining, dsc fully on is too much. It's like wanting to drive hard with the nanny on board.
Speaking as someone who likes to turn the dsc off now and again - on the ring for the first time in the wet I'd be leaving it well and truly on

Having said that - I'd have to do a lap with it off, even though I'd probably be slower. You HAVE to flick out the back end a bit on a track.

IMU - thanks for a fantastic post - I'm really feeling the urge to visit the ring now.
Old 04-04-2006 | 07:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 520d M-sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Auburn Leather - Mem Seat - Cup Holders - Nav Pro - Light Pack - Dim/folding mirrors - Adv Airco - PDC - Aux/in - Non-smoke pack - De-badged - Delivery Mar 31, 2006

That is just plain fun and the only way to really test the capabilities of the E60
Old 04-04-2006 | 07:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Best sharing I have ever seen. Thanks very much IMU. I am glad that you had such a great time and came away unscathed. Way to go.
Old 04-04-2006 | 07:27 AM
Senior Members

zo did the 535d beat the official time set by bmw for the e46 m3 at the nurburgring ?
Old 04-04-2006 | 07:28 AM
Contributors

wow. great report IMU. thanks for sharing.

Quick Reply: I'm back from the 'Ring...