Meet & Greet Discussion Plan for and discuss meet and greets with fellow forum members along with other BMW events. Share the results too!

I'm back from the 'Ring...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 05:09 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: -04 530D

NICE!! Only 10 days and I can also get my maiden lap!

Did You notice that taxi's reg "MBE"?

Skaffa
Old 04-04-2006, 05:10 AM
IMU
Contributors

Our first stop was in Aachen at AC Schnitzer. Unfortunately, when we entered Schnitzers carpark we noticed that MattJs gorgeous pheonix yellow M3 cab was parked in a workshop bay where we found out it had developed a power steering fault that required a new pump. As it is a RHD car the pump is different and would take a few days to get fixed so he was given a BMW hire car.

He made the best of it and started to get modding

Do you think they will notice it could have maybe been driven a little hard?

It also developed an identity crisis!!!

Back to Schnitzer. We was shown a very warm welcome and given a tour. This encompassed some of the most famous cars to have graced magazine covers

The V8 Topster

The E39 V8 engine produces 450bhp in this monster. It was started up for us in the showrom and it is LOUD

The current daddy of AC Schnitzer. Tension, based on an M6, producing around 550bhp

Old 04-04-2006, 05:10 AM
IMU
Contributors

Proof it is driven. It had just returned from the ring where it was testing suspension

This E30 M3 in racing trim was stunning

On saturday we visited Kerpen where a certain Mr Schumacher hails from, oh, and this wonderful Michael Schumacher karting centre. It was awesome. Very quick karts and committed and enthusiastic drivers mean't some very demanding laps and quick times

After karting it was back to the hotel to meet Alex and Tariq after Alexs car had to have all four tyre valves replaced at the local BMW dealer, you don't see this level of service in the UK. Our dealerships have much to learn.
From there we headed out to the ring to pop our ring cherrys

Which way to the ring?

We had to wait a long time for the circuit to open, the weather was miserable but we were patient.

A few of us waiting to get our first lap underway. The cars got quite a bit of attention.

Just before going out I took a pic of the final straight to remind myself what I woud be enjoying
Old 04-04-2006, 05:12 AM
IMU
Contributors

Here I am caught on the ring webcam waiting to drive my first lap, ticket ready, driver not!!!
*EDIT* - This is not my first lap, by now I kind of know the circuit a little and am pushing the car pretty hard as according to the timestamp of the pic it was my second to last lap on the sunday. Queuing for my first lap in the next pic.

The ring closed at 7:30 and we had dinner booked at the famous Pistenklause restaurant for 8pm so off we went.

The gent standing up in this pic is the photographer from Performance BMW. Did we tell that Louise Woodhams is covering the whole trip and it is to be featured over three successive months in the magazine

The argentinian fillet steak on a hot stone was very welcome

Old 04-04-2006, 05:12 AM
IMU
Contributors

On sunday we got up, ate breakfast and checked out so we could get to the ring early(ish).
We got down to business straight away and I took Alex and Tariq out for a lap in my car and Alex managed to film the whole lap including the wonderful Sabine Schmitz going past in the ring taxi

The following pics are from Alex and Tariqs cars where I got some passenger laps in.
The very famous karussell, I love this bend, you can take it far faster than you would think!!!

This is Ian and his better half Tracy following in Ians 328i. Ian has taken a huge amount of footage of the whole trip as he had a lipstick cam hooked up to his camcorder - it is brilliant from what we have seen

Following Doc Matt in his M3 cab after finishing another lap

The conditions were contributing to a fair few accidents. Each lap threw up more accidents and we even saw what was probably a one week old Z4M in the barrier just after the karussell with substantial damage. Here are two unfortunate casualties

The ring taxi always got a lot of looks no matter how manyt times it went past.

The taxi passing us in Peppernicks stunning M3
Old 04-04-2006, 05:13 AM
IMU
Contributors

Here is some very brave soul taken a piece of old school performance onto the track :shock:

And then suddenly it is time to go home, but not before we took in a viewing point to see what it was like when we were going round

You may be able to see a golf that has spun in this pic. Payback is cool as he held me up for a hell of a long time on one of my laps and would not move over - did I laugh, you bet I did.

So, finally we are on our way home. We took a scenic route and was not with the others.

It was fine for a while but the clock was ticking and we realised that making the shuttle back to blighty was going to be tight. We picked up the motorway near Aachen and this gave us just over 200 miles to our destination through germany, belgium and france. With a bit of enthusiastic driving (including a 30 minute rest period) we knocked this out in two and three quarter hours

So, the end, it was all over. Here we are on the train.

Did my car deserve this badge - HELL YEAH. It passed with honours

Thanks to Doc Matt for a lap that I will never forget, fast, very fast. He kept pace with the ring taxi for more corners than a lot could manage - those brakes are incredible!!!
Old 04-04-2006, 05:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: (E60) 535D M-Sport (DMS)

Looks like you had mucho fun??

My first Ring trip was last year in my Modified RS6 & she behaved perfectly. I'm contimplating taking the E60 their in May, as another trip is looming, however i've not decided to commit yet.

It's a fantastic experience & one that any petrol-head (or diesel) should make. During our trip, we lost one vehicle (new Jaguar XKR) as he managed to panic in not good conditions & slam the brakes on mid bend (1/3rd of the way round but can't recall the corners name) & stoved his car into the barriers (written off) but he was ok.

Not the most forgiving track, so always best to run a few sighting laps as a driver & passenger to understand the track & her undulations, as these really can catch you out.

I'll certainly be going back in 2008 when i get my mega toy
Old 04-04-2006, 06:11 AM
Contributors

As I said over on bmwland, fantastic!

Looks (and sounds) like you had a great time. Can't wait to get back there, just over a week to go
Old 04-04-2006, 06:13 AM
IMU
Contributors

Thanks guys... it was truly awseome, i loved every second of it!!!

and Steve, I met Jochen in the 'Ring car park - he is looking forward to your return - and his camera is ready for some action

Enjoy your trip
Old 04-04-2006, 06:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Excellent IMU; wish we had more of this caliber of interest around here. I found it amusing that the fees were identical, but listed separately for cars vs bikes.

cheers from near Watkins Glen...

Ray Hull

Quick Reply: I'm back from the 'Ring...