Meet & Greet Discussion Plan for and discuss meet and greets with fellow forum members along with other BMW events. Share the results too!

ED - Prague Side Trip

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 06:17 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550i, Alpine White, Beige Ltr, Sport Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Steptronic, Nav, Satellite Radio, Split Fold Rear Seats, V1

I am taking ED on my 550i in mid September. My traveling buddy is seriously interested in taking a side trip to Prague. Does anyone have any experience with this journey? I am wondering if it is safe to take a new 550i into Prague or am I asking for trouble. The US State department indicates it is relatively safe. My traveling friends indicated that the Russian organized crime has a presence here. I am more concerned about the car - saftety, parking, roads, etc. If you have any experience or thoughts here I would be very grateful.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

have driven through, no problems, but I think that should be carefull.

Skaffa
Old 08-28-2005, 10:28 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I were you, I wouldn't go there. It's safe than sorry!
Backpacking is OK, but not with your brand new E60.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

Originally Posted by MidnightRider' date='Aug 28 2005, 10:17 PM
I am taking ED on my 550i in mid September.? My traveling buddy is seriously interested in taking a side trip to Prague.? Does anyone have any experience with this journey?? I am wondering if it is safe to take a new 550i into Prague or am I asking for trouble.? The US State department indicates it is relatively safe.? My traveling friends indicated that the Russian organized crime has a presence here.? I am more concerned about the car - saftety, parking, roads, etc.? If you have any experience or thoughts here I would be very grateful.?
[snapback]164536[/snapback]

Leave new car in Germany!!!!!!!!!
Take the train from Nuremberg or similar.
The city is safe, but I would never take a BMW there.

Jochen
Old 08-29-2005, 04:17 AM
Senior Members

Why not take your bmw there? What? the prague boys are anti bmw or what?
I'm considering to visit Prague aswell...you guys are watching to many triple x movies!
Old 08-29-2005, 04:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' date='Aug 29 2005, 03:17 PM
Why not take your bmw there? What? the prague boys are anti bmw or what?
I'm considering to visit Prague aswell...you guys are watching to many triple x movies!
[snapback]164673[/snapback]
Just have to take hotell with garage. Hijacks have been seldom cases past few years, but from side of the street car can dissapear.

Why take a risk?

Skaffa
Old 08-29-2005, 04:40 AM
Members

My Ride: 528i
Model Year: 2011

I visited Prague last year and enjoyed the city. But we took the train from Dresden.

No rental car company allows their cars to be driven into the Czech Republic. I would take that as a safety tip.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:54 AM
Members

My Ride: '04 530i Mystic Blue, European Delivery, Steptronic, Prem Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Nav, Heads Up, Active Cruise, Rear Sunshade, Rear Side Airbags, Rear Seat Heating, Park Distance Control, Xenon, CPT9000 GSM phone, red rear reflectors, Sirius!!!!

When traveling in Europe with a rental car, I have often been asked to sign a document that I will not take the car into the Czech Republic. The rental agents told me that German and Austrian cars are stolen off the street and smuggled East into Slovakia & Russia. I would think an E60 would be a target. Also, its worth mentioning that last time I was in Prague (admittedly 8 years ago) someone in our Hotel had their car stolen from the Hotel Garage. Personally, I wouldn't risk it. I did ED and there is a large deductible in the Insurance in the case of theft.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 Limo with M-Sport package(m5 mirrors,m5 trunk finisher,m172 summer wheels,blk front grills,m5 paddle shift kit(my530i),m pedal covers,m floor mats, E87 2005 The Misses car E39 2002 Touring with M-Sport package/family wagon(gone but not forgotten)

Follow the advice! Do not take a BMW there(E60 new or used). You most likely will never see it again But a great city to visit otherwise
Old 08-29-2005, 09:06 AM
Members

MidnightRider,

I have just been to Prague this summer. There is no reason for not taking you BMW. There are a lot of nice cars in Prague and conveniently the city is divided into the poor side and the rich so crime in the wealthy areas is not high. Indeed all hotel taxis seem to be E-Classes and when I hired a car I was given an Audi A6 so I would not fret.

Prague is a truly beautiful city and the architecture is stunning...as are the women! Alcohol is very cheap and of a high quality as is food and the nightlife and other entertainments are as good as those in London. It is definitely worth a visit. Most hotels are outside the Old Square, where much of the sightseeing is, and the best way to travel around is by the very efficient and clean metro or taxi. For this reason make sure you stay in a good hotel (at very least 4*) which has secure parking for guest's cars and leave the E60 there! Yours will not be the only one so do not panic. I can heartily recommend The Hilton, The Four Seasons, The Marriott, The Corinthia Towers (5*s), Corinthia Panorama (4*). They will all suit your purpose.

In short take the trip!

The King

Quick Reply: ED - Prague Side Trip