Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

World Cup 2010

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 06:43 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by DD_545i
Well there go England's hopes of winning it - it looks like Frank Lampard probably made the cut for the final squad. He single-handedly ruined any chance England had in Germany 2006. Every time he got the ball he either lost it, missed the target or bottled it. We'd have been better off playing with ten men rather than have him on the team.
As a Liverpool fan I'd like to agree but Lampard for me (as much as it pains me to say it) could be a key player for England this year. You are dead on that he had a nightmare in the last tournament with the glory hunting but I think he's improved a lot since then. The issue for me is that Gerrard and Lampard always seem struggle to play well together. If Capello can fix that, and if Rooney maintains his premiership form into the tournament, who knows what could happen. England have got to be a good bet for the quarters and possibly/probably beyond. Personally, I think they can win it.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:51 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames
As a Liverpool fan I'd like to agree but Lampard for me (as much as it pains me to say it) could be a key player for England this year. You are dead on that he had a nightmare in the last tournament with the glory hunting but I think he's improved a lot since then. The issue for me is that Gerrard and Lampard always seem struggle to play well together. If Capello can fix that, and if Rooney maintains his premiership form into the tournament, who knows what could happen. England have got to be a good bet for the quarters and possibly/probably beyond. Personally, I think they can win it.
As a league player he's always done well. It's just playing for his country where he seems to fail. Come to think of it, Gerrard has never covered himself in glory for England either. It seems that we aren't expecting to do as well this time as before Germany in 2006. The expectations aren't as high this time, and maybe that's a good thing.

I just wish I could take the month off work like I've done for previous world cups.

btw, what draws you to supporting Liverpool? My mum's from there (Birkenhead actually) and is a Liverpool nut. Last time I followed them was the Keegan / Toshack / Clemence etc days.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package

As a league player he's always done well. It's just playing for his country where he seems to fail. Come to think of it, Gerrard has never covered himself in glory for England either. It seems that we aren't expecting to do as well this time as before Germany in 2006. The expectations aren't as high this time, and maybe that's a good thing.

I just wish I could take the month off work like I've done for previous world cups.
Yep, have to agree, Gerrard does not seem to be able to replicate his club form (although this year has seen his premiership form be the worst it's been for years) on the international stage. Still, I think some of that may have been down to tactics and management and Capello has both nailed. I don't think too many players showered themselves in glory under McClaren (or arguably Sven for that matter). Will be an interesting World Cup for sure...
Old 06-01-2010, 07:07 AM
Contributors

I don't think too many players showered themselves in glory under McClaren
McClaren's time as manager could be compared to Dubya's time as president. Both seem like a big joke now and if you didn't know it was true, you'd never believe it really happened
Old 06-01-2010, 07:18 AM
Contributors

McClaren's time as manager could be compared to Dubya's time as president. Both seem like a big joke now and if you didn't know it was true, you'd never believe it really happened
Funniest thing now is McClaren's comedy accent - he now speaks English like a Dutchman. Absolute comedy gold - there are some excellent videos on YouTube featuring "Shteeve" in action!
Old 06-01-2010, 07:41 AM
Contributors

Funniest thing now is McClaren's comedy accent - he now speaks English like a Dutchman. Absolute comedy gold - there are some excellent videos on YouTube featuring "Shteeve" in action!
Yep, seen and heard it, freaking hilarious.

Mind you, I can't imagine how my accent sounds now. I'm from the same area of England that McClaren is, but I lived in Scotland 2 years, London 2 years, the south coast of England a year, New York City for nearly 2 years and over a decade in Bavaria. I doubt anyone has my accent
Old 06-01-2010, 07:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by Jon M5
I'm backing England, because I live here!!
Not a football person but +1 I'm backing England because I was born there.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5

I know England hates to watch these videos: Hand of god
and the best goal of all times:

Old 06-03-2010, 11:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 525

Originally Posted by miguex
and the best goal of all times: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3m623uGCow
fixed your post. THATS the greatest goal of all time.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:01 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by miguex
I know England hates to watch these videos: Hand of god http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbbsytHDp2o and the best goal of all times: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk-kXwjASEE

Don't like the hand of god one, but the second one is certainly up there in the best goal of all time top 10, alongside this near identical one from messi

Originally Posted by pipper
fixed your post. THATS the greatest goal of all time.
That was a good goal from Zidane, maybe even a great one, but greatest of all time ? Not even close. It might just squeeze into my Top 50 if I were to make one.

Quick Reply: World Cup 2010