Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Wireless Routers

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010 | 11:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

I was going to add a wireless repeater to my home network to get better signal strength in the areas farthest from the router, but my router is apparently too old to support a wireless repeater. So, now I need a new router. Any suggestions? Maybe a newer model will have better range and I will not need the repeater.

Thanks
Old 04-15-2010 | 11:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

I use a D-Link 685 at home and it works great, I have a wireless bridge connected for my Satellite receiver and PS3 (since the PS3 doesn't deal with wireless security very well and I have WPA2 Enterprise - yes I do have a RADIUS server in my house). I connected them through WPS and it works perfectly. The router does wireless N for the bridge and wireless G for my crappy work laptop. AND is also acts as a print server and can have up to a 500GB SATA drive (like mine) for storage and backups.
Old 04-15-2010 | 11:56 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by robg
I was going to add a wireless repeater to my home network to get better signal strength in the areas farthest from the router, but my router is apparently too old to support a wireless repeater. So, now I need a new router. Any suggestions? Maybe a newer model will have better range and I will not need the repeater.

Thanks
Here is your best router!

Not only it offered the best signal and throughput (in tandem with a MBP, through a ceiling, me being upstairs in my bedroom, using 10MB/s and even maxed 11MB/s), but you can so effortlessly expand your network to your need using a cheaper alternative (airport express).

PS: I had previous a D-Link DIR 655 and other various Dlink and MSIs.
Old 04-15-2010 | 11:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

Originally Posted by pjinca
I use a D-Link 685 at home and it works great, I have a wireless bridge connected for my Satellite receiver and PS3 (since the PS3 doesn't deal with wireless security very well and I have WPA2 Enterprise - yes I do have a RADIUS server in my house). I connected them through WPS and it works perfectly. The router does wireless N for the bridge and wireless G for my crappy work laptop. AND is also acts as a print server and can have up to a 500GB SATA drive (like mine) for storage and backups.
Thanks. Do you use another router as the bridge, or do you use something designed specifically to be the bridge?
Old 04-15-2010 | 12:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay
Here is your best router!

Not only it offered the best signal and throughput (in tandem with a MBP, through a ceiling, me being upstairs in my bedroom, using 10MB/s and even maxed 11MB/s), but you can so effortlessly expand your network to your need using a cheaper alternative (airport express).

PS: I had previous a D-Link DIR 655 and other various Dlink and MSIs.
Safe to assume no issues with a PC?
Old 04-15-2010 | 12:11 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pjinca
Thanks. Do you use another router as the bridge, or do you use something designed specifically to be the bridge?
Old 04-15-2010 | 12:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by robg
My setup is:
DIR-685 (CES award winner)
DAP-1522 wireless AP with bridge mode.

The connection could not possibly be easier between them, simply hit the WPS button on the bridge then hit the one on the router - boom connected, securely.
Old 04-15-2010 | 12:14 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer
None soever! In fact I'm typing from a PC, a Sony Vaio SZ lappie through an Airport Extreme.

The beautiful part is using Back to my mac (with a mobile-me user account) you can access with just 2 clicks (literally) any airport extreme configured in the internet.
Old 04-15-2010 | 01:06 PM
Senior Members

This is a good resource:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wirel...reless-reviews

IMHO, the best current router out, if you're not willing to upgrade antennas, is the Netgear WNDR3700. It has good routing performance, as well as strong 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz wireless performance, in both 20Mhz and 40Mhz bandwidths. The wireless performance has good peak speed, but more importantly, performance at range and through obstacles.

Info:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wirel...r3700-reviewed

The D-Link DIR-825 B1 (not A1) is another strong choice. However, it cannot match the performance of the Netgear, with the stock antennas. I upgraded mine with higher gain antennas and found the signal at different locations at range to be slightly better than the WNDR3700, though max throughput at close range ramained slightly less.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wirel...1-quick-review

I went with the L-Com 3dBi/2.4Ghz 5dBi/5Ghz antenna as an upgrade.

http://www.l-com.com/item.aspx?id=21679

Some have had firmware issues with the DIR-825 B1 though, so I still think the safest choice is the WNDR3700, at least until there's a DD-WRT firmware based solution. They currently have beta code.

The last 3 routers I went through were the D-Link DIR-825 A1, Netgear WNDR3700, and then the D-Link DIR-825 B1. Before that, I had routers from Buffalo, Linksys, Apple, and Belkin.

Info on the Apple, for reference:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wirel...iefly-reviewed
Old 04-15-2010 | 02:13 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer
Nope, fully compatible, plus if you want backup storage included, you can go for the timecapsle which adds 1TB storage space, i just ordered mine!