Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Why NASCAR is about out of gas...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 06:40 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by pjinca
I don't prefer one series over another to tell the truth, if it has a motor and goes fast - I love it. I do, however, prefer road racing to oval (or any other form) racing. The amount of precision and skill it takes to consistently be fast on a road course is extraordinary (I know, I have done it). With NASCAR the excitement lies with the fact that they are within inches of each other at 200 mph. F1 has gotten extremely boring over the last few years as well. Basically you have McLaren and Ferrari and then a bunch of "also rans" - YAWN!!!! I truly miss the days of Prost, Senna (my favorite driver ever) - yes I know they also drove McLarens and Ferraris. The difference back then you had Bennetton, Renault, and a few others in contention as well.

+1

Down here everyone talks about "who bumped who" or "did you see that wreck" last weekend. Not too much talk about the winner unless its Junior.

As far as diversity goes, NASCAR still has a way to go. The excitement of NASCAR is still strongly tied to the success and failure of its "Good ole boys".

Although I kind of follow some of its personalities, I don't really like NASCAR for a number of reasons that I won't get into here. I will say this - the "NA" in NASCAR stands for North American and its original charter only allowed for U.S. auto makers to compete in the series. so what does the name change to now that Toyota bought its way in?
Old 04-20-2010, 06:50 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by pukka
+1

Down here everyone talks about "who bumped who" or "did you see that wreck" last weekend. Not too much talk about the winner unless its Junior.

As far as diversity goes, NASCAR still has a way to go. The excitement of NASCAR is still strongly tied to the success and failure of its "Good ole boys".

Although I kind of follow some of its personalities, I don't really like NASCAR for a number of reasons that I won't get into here. I will say this - the "NA" in NASCAR stands for North American and its original charter only allowed for U.S. auto makers to compete in the series. so what does the name change to now that Toyota bought its way in?
I'm sorry but I can't see that argument. People want to see cars they drive compete, and who really DESIRES a Fusion? Besides the simple fact that the Camry is the ONLY car in the series actually made in the USA giving Americans jobs (Impala is made in Canada, Fusion in Mexico) so if the concern is the old "buy American" - then the Camry is still the way to go.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:06 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Actually - I was wrong. The NA stands for National Association. If I can find a link referencing its charter I'll post it.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:09 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by pukka
Actually - I was wrong. The NA stands for National Association. If I can find a link referencing its charter I'll post it.
It's all good, maybe they should change the name to ISCAR or something. I sure wouldn't mind seeing it develop into like a BTCC type series on ovals. Let them bring in the BMW's, Merc's, Caddy's, Chevy's, Fords etc and let them all compete together.

BTW my faith in Junior is diminishing by the day, he just doesn't seem to have the fire and passion his dad had for the sport. Watching Sr race you knew you were watching how a REAL racer should race - like the man himself said:"The guy who wins isn't always the one with the fastest car, it's the one who refuses to lose". Junior doesn't have that fire in him. That's kind of the reason I lean more towards JPM every week, he races like Sr used to
Old 04-20-2010, 09:55 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

i agree with the original poster.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:11 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '07 530iSport PackageLuxury Packagemore to come

Barber Motor Sports Park has nothing to do with Road Atlanta. Barber is in Birmingham, Al, while Road Atlanta is about 50 miles outside Atlanta.
I have just about given up on watching races on TV. Formula One used to be a lot of fun. Now unless someone really screws up it's follow the leader and hope you can gain places with pit stop strategy. Talk about the commentators on NASCAR, all the guys on F1 seem to want to talk about is Hammilton. NASCAR, turn left, turn left oh wait, he's turning left again. If they can run Toyotas in NASCAR because they build in the states, when will we get a 5 or even a 3 series in NASCAR? WRC was great but it isn't shown here anymore.