Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Why NASCAR is about out of gas...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 12:25 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009 DINAN 135 convertible

I watched some truly entertaining automotive racing this weekend. Drivers I didn?t know, racing around a track I didn?t recognize, in different classes I couldn?t quite understand, but driving cars that even my six year old could instantly identify. Mustangs and Camaros were racing BMWs, Porsches and Audis, which were racing Volkswagens and Subarus. There were V6s, V8s, front engine, rear engine, all wheel drive, rear wheel drive, two door, four door and hatchback all on the same winding course? And get this, when the drivers wrecked, they opened the doors to get out. Imagine that, a race car with functioning doors. Oh, and the headlights and taillights worked too, although I didn?t catch anyone using a turn signal. Nonetheless, while taking all this in, I realized right away why I found this so entertaining, and why, at the same time, I can no longer sit through an entire NASCAR race: it?s all about the cars.

At one time, long ago, the ?SC? in NASCAR stood for ?stock car,? and the unofficial motto was ?run what you brung.? Now, it may as well stand for the ?same car.? At some point in the last thirty years, NASCAR fell asleep at the wheel and woke up in the IROC series. Remember IROC? The ?International Race of Champions?? yeah, I barely do too. The idea was to take the ?greatest drivers? from all different series, and then have them all race identical cars to see which was the best driver. Well, IROC disbanded in 2007 because, guess what, watching big-name drivers pilot identical cars around an oval for a few hours is incredibly boring, and people lost interest. Today?s NASCAR is not far off. Exactly what part of a 800hp rear wheel drive, V8, carbureted, two-door Toyota Camry is ?stock?? and what?s the difference between the Ford Fusion and the Dodge Charger again? (other than the headlight stickers).
The fact is that NASCAR lost about 1.5 million viewers a week from 2008 to 2009, and 2010 has been even worse. If you follow the media, it seems everyone thinks NASCAR?s ratings declines are due to something other than the fact that it has become the 800 horsepower equivalent of a soap-box derby race. People complain about the announcers being too negative, or focusing too much on certain drivers. People complain about the networks having cheesy graphics, too many commercials, and not enough post-race coverage. People complain about NASCAR?s policies on aggressive driving (first they were too strict, then too loose with drivers who bump their way through the field), or the lack of diversity among drivers. What people aren?t saying, however, is that the racing has simply become a bore to watch because it?s no longer about the cars. It?s really only about the drivers.

Thankfully, this country is all about competition, and NASCAR better start checking its mirrors. Racing series like the American Le Mans Series and the Grand-Am series are all the things NASCAR used to be, and the reason that it was so popular at one time. Imagine an event where people race real cars . . . ?stock cars? . . . what a concept.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:31 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

While I actually LIKE NASCAR, I have to agree with you. I much prefer road racing - and I think the race you a referring to was the Grand Am race at barber Motorsports Park (aka Road Atlanta). It was great racing between diverse and exciting cars. Did they go 250 MPH? Nope, but they didn't need to to make it exciting. It was great racing start to finish. While I like NASCAR's door handle to door handle racing at 200 MPH, nothing beats a good road race for me. I was just watching the F1 Grand Prix of China as well.

Oh, and I also think it's more than the cars and the racing. The drivers are boring too. Where is the fire? Where is the spirit? Where are the Cale's and Davey's fighting in the infield? Where is the Dale Sr making a pass in the grass? Where are the teams getting into it on pit road? Nope, they have eliminated all the things that made NASCAR big. The cars aare just one part of the problem.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

While I primarily follow F1, I do think some of the criticisms leveled at NASCAR are misplaced. Firstly, NASCAR is as much about the spectacle and the noise as it is about the racing. It is impossible to go to a NASCAR meeting, as I have, and not be enthralled by the atmosphere. Secondly, while I wish there were more road course races, the level of skill of the NASCAR drivers is very high. Jeff Gordon trialled in an F1 car and was running close to the pace of the F1 drivers. These guys are good - much better than they are given credit for. Thirdly, NASCAR brings the driver skill to the fore in a way that say F1 can't. Alonso and Hamilton aren't going to win any races if they're driving a backmarker car. I agree it would be good to see more stock car races, but ALMS is far from a stock series in the way that say the European/DTM/BTCC touring series still are. Anyway, I'm not buying in to the NASCAR sucks thing. Deep down, there's a little redneck in all of us. Shake and Bake.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:52 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 540i
Model Year: 2017

Maybe it's just because I'm old, but, today's motorsports better get it's ass in gear if it wants to produce legends....
Phil Hill, Dan Gurney, Bob Bondurant, Bud Moore, Parnelli Jones, Roger Penske, Ken Miles, Sam Posey, Al Holbert, George Follmer
Trans-Am baby! That was racing!
Attached Thumbnails Why NASCAR is about out of gas...-df160418.jpg  
Old 04-19-2010, 06:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 650 Grand Coupe
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by swajames
While I primarily follow F1, I do think some of the criticisms leveled at NASCAR are misplaced. Firstly, NASCAR is as much about the spectacle and the noise as it is about the racing. It is impossible to go to a NASCAR meeting, as I have, and not be enthralled by the atmosphere. Secondly, while I wish there were more road course races, the level of skill of the NASCAR drivers is very high. Jeff Gordon trialled in an F1 car and was running close to the pace of the F1 drivers. These guys are good - much better than they are given credit for. Thirdly, NASCAR brings the driver skill to the fore in a way that say F1 can't. Alonso and Hamilton aren't going to win any races if they're driving a backmarker car. I agree it would be good to see more stock car races, but ALMS is far from a stock series in the way that say the European/DTM/BTCC touring series still are. Anyway, I'm not buying in to the NASCAR sucks thing. Deep down, there's a little redneck in all of us. Shake and Bake.

+1

I have been to several NASCAR races over the years. It is an event that makes for an interesting weekend. You see all segments of society represented at these races. Yes, you do see your share of "rednecks", but you also see people pulling in to the RV lots driving million dollar motor homes pulling their BMW's behind. The beauty of these weekends besides the racing, is that all of these people basically spend the weekend together partying and having a lot of fun. You have over 100,000 people who are drinking and I have yet to see any fights in the lots or the stands. The whole culture of NASCAR has been transformed over the years and it will continue to change. The drivers today come from very diverse backgrounds. Most are no longer "good ol' boys". They come from all over the United States now, not just the deep south. Several open wheel drivers are making the move to NASCAR because of the money and fame that is available if they can succeed. Juan Montoya and Sam Hornish are probably the biggest names to make the full time jump and see some success so far.

It is true that television ratings are down. I'm sure that there are several reasons that can be argued to explain some of it. Perhaps the biggest reason right now is the dominance of one driver for the last four years. It's great if you're a fan of that particular driver/organization, but for many fair weather fans of other drivers, it is not.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:37 AM
Contributors

Well, as others have said, I too mostly follow F1 but I am taking my 6 yr old to his first NASCAR race in Richmond VA in a few weeks. Like you said, its the spectacle and the noise that will captivate him. I keep telling him, you think this is gonna be cool, wait til we go to a Formula 1 Race. Now THAT is cool
Old 04-19-2010, 06:49 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ENstig8or
+1

I have been to several NASCAR races over the years. It is an event that makes for an interesting weekend. You see all segments of society represented at these races. Yes, you do see your share of "rednecks", but you also see people pulling in to the RV lots driving million dollar motor homes pulling their BMW's behind. The beauty of these weekends besides the racing, is that all of these people basically spend the weekend together partying and having a lot of fun. You have over 100,000 people who are drinking and I have yet to see any fights in the lots or the stands. The whole culture of NASCAR has been transformed over the years and it will continue to change. The drivers today come from very diverse backgrounds. Most are no longer "good ol' boys". They come from all over the United States now, not just the deep south. Several open wheel drivers are making the move to NASCAR because of the money and fame that is available if they can succeed. Juan Montoya and Sam Hornish are probably the biggest names to make the full time jump and see some success so far.

It is true that television ratings are down. I'm sure that there are several reasons that can be argued to explain some of it. Perhaps the biggest reason right now is the dominance of one driver for the last four years. It's great if you're a fan of that particular driver/organization, but for many fair weather fans of other drivers, it is not.
Let me begin by saying I have also been to several events at Pocono over the years (a friend used to run communications on race weekends so I just needed to help out to get an all access passs ) and it IS a lot of fun to go there and be part of everything.

1) That statement couldn't be farther from the truth, in NASCAR there are 42 White Guys and JPM - you call that diverse?

2) I can agree that JJ being so dominant is a part of it, dominance is boring (and Jimmy is particularly boring, because he doesn't start any trouble and he is humble and very hard NOT to like - but he's about as exciting as watching grass grow)

3) I miss the personalities, the drivers today make so much $$$ and are so pampered that they don't have the fire to go out and succeed like they used to. If Dale Sr. wanted to put food on the table he had to win, period, that creates a hell of a fire in someone's gut.

4) Cars are too evenly matched. They have taken the brains out of the crew chiefs, they used to be able to tweak the cars to get the most out of them - now? They all have to be completely identical, might as well have one crew chief for all teams
Old 04-19-2010, 06:54 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by poleposition
Well, as others have said, I too mostly follow F1 but I am taking my 6 yr old to his first NASCAR race in Richmond VA in a few weeks. Like you said, its the spectacle and the noise that will captivate him. I keep telling him, you think this is gonna be cool, wait til we go to a Formula 1 Race. Now THAT is cool
I don't prefer one series over another to tell the truth, if it has a motor and goes fast - I love it. I do, however, prefer road racing to oval (or any other form) racing. The amount of precision and skill it takes to consistently be fast on a road course is extraordinary (I know, I have done it). With NASCAR the excitement lies with the fact that they are within inches of each other at 200 mph.
F1 has gotten extremely boring over the last few years as well. Basically you have McLaren and Ferrari and then a bunch of "also rans" - YAWN!!!! I truly miss the days of Prost, Senna (my favorite driver ever) - yes I know they also drove McLarens and Ferraris. The difference back then you had Bennetton, Renault, and a few others in contention as well.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 650 Grand Coupe
Model Year: 2016

I said diverse backgrounds, not ethnic groups. They are from all over the country, from California, to Wisconsin, to New England, and of course the South. Some come from wealthy families, and some have scratched their way up with some luck along the way. Why does everything always revert back to ethnicity?
Old 04-19-2010, 07:38 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ENstig8or
I said diverse backgrounds, not ethnic groups. They are from all over the country, from California, to Wisconsin, to New England, and of course the South. Some come from wealthy families, and some have scratched their way up with some luck along the way. Why does everything always revert back to ethnicity?

Because "diversity" means more than what state you're from. Also, the top sports in the country have much more diversity because most people want to see people that look like them compete - there is a reason why the NHL is behind even NASCAR in popularity.

Quick Reply: Why NASCAR is about out of gas...