Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Why the Lounge Blows

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 04:35 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

Originally Posted by pjinca
+1 I agree Craig, the lounge has died down recently, but so has the whole site if you've noticed. I guess we are all waiting anxiously for the F10's arrival.
not me.. i just think everyone got a little bored, plus we all kinda got yelled at... lol.. and there were too many tonymacs out there..

all i have to add is that when a story of a night out ends with a headache in the a.m. and some sort of arguement or fight, its been a good night..
Old 03-17-2010, 05:12 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by craigm1841
Because it doesn't contribute to your post count, which directly causes members to not contribute to the lounge, once the most hilarious forum on here, for better or worse.
Really? I don't see it myself. Who cares about post counts? Is having a larger count meant to be good? I don't care if mine says 50 or 50,000. Actually if it said 50,000 I'd wonder what I'm doing with my life.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Originally Posted by melimel
not me.. i just think everyone got a little bored, plus we all kinda got yelled at... lol.. and there were too many tonymacs out there..

all i have to add is that when a story of a night out ends with a headache in the a.m. and some sort of arguement or fight, its been a good night..
i disagree the noobs came and ruined it all

but seriously all the O.G.'s are still on here checking they just don't post anymore, which to me is sirry. why lurk and not be heard?
Old 03-17-2010, 02:16 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by skelevirus
i disagree the noobs came and ruined it all

but seriously all the O.G.'s are still on here checking they just don't post anymore, which to me is sirry. why lurk and not be heard?
I think some of the OGs would consider me and you part of that noob wave
Old 03-17-2010, 03:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2015 435xi GC

and post-counts matter because....?
Old 03-17-2010, 03:47 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ron_cb550
and post-counts matter because....?
it shouldn't matter. I was just making note that after the post counting was taken away from lounge posts, people stopped posting in the lounge.

The lounge used to be great, the only problem that I ever saw was opening threads and having things that might cause a problem for members posting from work or at home with kids in the room. When the mods/admins cracked down due to protests that members follow simple guidelines and rules (which is a bandwagon i was on) one of the things that came up in discussion was that post counts are irelevant, so they took away post counts from the lounge (contridicting the very idea that post counts are irrelevant) but kept them for all other forums. When that happened, posts in the lounge dropped substanitally. One can make the argument (I am the one) that people didn't have as much of a desire to post in the lounge because it didn't add to their post count, thus having no effect on their percieved status as a member here. The post count does matter to people, whether they want to admit it or not. It is a fact that men are driven by numbers and stats, regardless of how dumb they are (the numbers and stats, not the men). That is why men watch lie about their penis size, lie to their friends about how many women they have been with, and watch sports. At the end of the day, a number represents a solid form of status (a perceived status), and status is directly tied to perception (by others)itself. Dare I say that those who feel post counts are important, whether they admit it or not are driven by "Perception of perception"

This forum is mostly made up of male contributors, which results in the demise of the lounge. Posting in the lounge doesn't fluff their percieved status.

Don't believe me? Mods, Admins- is there any way to get how many times the "Todays top 25 posters" page has been hit? If people view that... they care about post counts.

/Soap box

I saw some pretty hilarous stuff in the lounge back in the day.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:06 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2015 435xi GC

There's a Top25 list? lol

Anyway, I'm signed up on quite a few auto enthusiast messageboards, and I'd just like to say that I prefer a calm O.T section to the "whored out" types I come across. I enjoy off-topic discussion as much as the next guy, and I also enjoy the fact that a topic (here) will stay on page 1-2 for longer than 2 hours, which is simply not the case elsewhere. I understand e60.net to be very much a niche community. I get that 40,000 isn't exactly a small number, but I haven't been getting much of a "post whore" vibe here.. It's not like people are posting in the "Bluetooth" or "Press Articles" subforums just to get their stats up, so they--assuming that you don't all know eachother personally--can show off to the next guy sitting at a computer (at least I hope not...)

Maybe it's because I'm new here, but when I come to you guys with a question, I respect the opinion of someone with 20 posts, as much as I respect the opinion of someone with.. whadda ya got there.. 4500? lol It's just those posters with "1 post" that weird me out.. In any case, Craig, I understand the concepts of perceived status, seignority, etc... and maybe it's just the idealist in me speaking... but we're all in the same place, on the same page, and same chassis.. kinda

You just wanted to say that its boring here, right? lol
Old 03-17-2010, 04:46 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ron_cb550
There's a Top25 list? lol

Anyway, I'm signed up on quite a few auto enthusiast messageboards, and I'd just like to say that I prefer a calm O.T section to the "whored out" types I come across. I enjoy off-topic discussion as much as the next guy, and I also enjoy the fact that a topic (here) will stay on page 1-2 for longer than 2 hours, which is simply not the case elsewhere. I understand e60.net to be very much a niche community. I get that 40,000 isn't exactly a small number, but I haven't been getting much of a "post whore" vibe here.. It's not like people are posting in the "Bluetooth" or "Press Articles" subforums just to get their stats up, so they--assuming that you don't all know eachother personally--can show off to the next guy sitting at a computer (at least I hope not...)

Maybe it's because I'm new here, but when I come to you guys with a question, I respect the opinion of someone with 20 posts, as much as I respect the opinion of someone with.. whadda ya got there.. 4500? lol It's just those posters with "1 post" that weird me out.. In any case, Craig, I understand the concepts of perceived status, seignority, etc... and maybe it's just the idealist in me speaking... but we're all in the same place, on the same page, and same chassis.. kinda

You just wanted to say that its boring here, right? lol
Dont get me wrong. I love this community. I have received help from members here, as I have helped others (which makes me feel good, so it is selfish-- I dont want anyone to think i am a nice guy ) And I keep coming back. The lounge used to be whorish, but there were times that I would open a thread and I JUST COULDNT WAIT FOR THE NEXT RESPONSE. I guess you take the good with the bad. The bad started to overshadow the good. I can deal with whoring if it results in hilarity.

I am going to start the "Lounge Revitalization Project" -The Change We Need

that slogan has been used before... it isn't working . I'll go with:

Lounge Revitalization
----------+----------
Project

"Forum First"
Old 03-17-2010, 04:50 PM
Contributors

Delete