Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Why Apple rocks

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 09:49 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames' post='955232' date='Jul 26 2009, 10:46 PM
Yes. Yes they do. This particular machine was well out of warranty and this revision is more trouble than more recent iMacs (which I also have) when it comes to user access. That's occasionally the price you pay for design elegance. Either way, it was an hour plus of labor and it was a chargeable service, which they gave me for free. Hence my post, as most companies nickel and dime in these circumstances.

I dunno, i dont think apple rocks because of that

ive dropped and broken my bb storm five times and Best buy has let me use my replacment plan five times to get a new one i dont think best buy rocks for that, i think i expect it for the price of the phone and the price of the plan
Old 07-26-2009, 09:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered' post='955239' date='Jul 26 2009, 10:49 PM
I dunno, i dont think apple rocks because of that

ive dropped and broken my bb storm five times and Best buy has let me use my replacment plan five times to get a new one i dont think best buy rocks for that, i think i expect it for the price of the phone and the price of the plan
If you'll pardon the pun, you're comparing Apples to oranges...

Unlike your BlackBerry, my machine had no replacement plan and no Applecare plan. In this case, Apple could have charged me. I would have happily paid, and I expected to pay. I got my computer back, fixed, tested and cleaned - and I got it back two days earlier than expected. They didn't charge, and I appreciated that. They under-promised and over-delivered. So yes - they do indeed rock.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:49 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames' post='955245' date='Jul 26 2009, 10:56 PM
If you'll pardon the pun, you're comparing Apples to oranges...

Unlike your BlackBerry, my machine had no replacement plan and no Applecare plan. In this case, Apple could have charged me. I would have happily paid, and I expected to pay. I got my computer back, fixed, tested and cleaned - and I got it back two days earlier than expected. They didn't charge, and I appreciated that. They under-promised and over-delivered. So yes - they do indeed rock.

ok well you have lower expectations then me then

cleaning dust isnt working on anything, and logging and hour of labor and giving it to you for free was the right thing to do
Old 07-27-2009, 02:50 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by acuteperformance' post='955172
so apple rocks because they used an aircan to get dust off your computer and didnt charge you for it?

the problem is that your computer isnt user serviceable like the vast majority of computers are, you could have saved a trip and some time
...you're missing the point!

Originally Posted by acuteperformance' post='955233' date='Jul 27 2009, 08:47 AM
my issues w/ Apple

(1) everything is proprietary
(2) very expensive for what you get
(3) managing an Apple network is a lot more time consuming than Windows, they simply weren't made for corporate environment.

what i like about Apple:

(1) runs on linux
(2) they are sexy
(1) So is most of the industry. In fact i think that the major problem ALL Linux distros have, and will still have in the decades to come, is the licensing. Due to the fact that the license is GNU open source, each driver that arrives to Linux has to be open source, and companies like AMD, Nvidia etc etc. will never accept so lightly to open to the world and hence competition how the software runs. Also most of the time, how software runs = how hardware is built.

So if you had a company that produce smth for the IT industry (smth that would require software) and others would be in competition with you, would you give up your company's secrets so easily just to "HELP" or "SUPPORT" the Linux people?

(2) Not really. For example if you build a similar based PC compared to a Mac mini, you would arrive 200$ or so shortly but when you consider you spend 200-400$ on a VISTA license then you realize your PC ain't so cheap anymore (as a whole). Heck while a Vista Ultimate license is close to $ 400 a Mac Mini is $ 600.

I admit though that some parts and extras are a tad too expensive, but if you're so concerned about a few hunderd bucks for a company that made it's reputation of selling computers from software to hardware (= best match possible), you can always go ahead and buy third part hardware like RAMs and HDDs. Plenty of third party offers.

(3) Totally disagree. In fact i'm slowly upgrading my work network of computers to Macs. Also planning to even buy an Apple Xserve or a Mac Pro with Leopard Server on it. Networking is MILES easier on a Mac, and so is administering server services and processes. In fact you get the power of Linux server networks without the headaches of learning endless command lines. In fact pretty much everything else is simpler and better on a Mac.

About the (1) you like, i hate to disappoint you but almost anything is able to run on Linux, unless you're saying it's running Linux (OS X) which is wrong as that's quite some different OS. True they both have the common ancestor (UNIX).

(2) Agree. The sexiest and best looking machines out there. Also material quality is unmatched IMHO.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:55 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by theXman' post='955156' date='Jul 27 2009, 07:52 AM
Love Apple's products and service which is why I own the stock as well.
I hate you!

I also wanted to buy Apple stocks (for the first time for me) when it was under $90 a couple of months ago, and now they're on the roll. I'm so hating myself for that. I wonder if now is too late, considering the $200 historical max (now being 160)
Old 07-27-2009, 02:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by swajames' post='955145' date='Jul 27 2009, 12:47 AM
One of my old G5 iMacs started randomly putting itself to sleep lately. A look at the log files showed that the CPU was exceeding its maximum operating temperature and the OS was putting the machine to sleep as a protective measure.

My suspicion was that there was probably dust build up on the fans and heatsink, but this particular model of iMac (unlike later revisions) wasn't designed to be user-serviceable and case disassembly doesn't give easy access to the internals.

I took the machine to my local Apple store yesterday. They said they would take a look and would probably be able to get me the verdict by Monday.

In the event, they called me back same-day to tell me my machine was ready. There was indeed a build-up of dust on the fan blades and they cleaned up the fans and the rest of the internals.

The most pleasant surprise, however, was that not only was my well-out-of-warranty machine fixed, tested and cleaned, there was no charge. The machine is working perfectly.

Just one example of why this company absolutely rocks.
Now, that's what I call a proper customer service!
Old 07-27-2009, 02:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='955364' date='Jul 27 2009, 06:55 AM
I hate you!

I also wanted to buy Apple stocks (for the first time for me) when it was under $90 a couple of months ago, and now they're on the roll. I'm so hating myself for that. I wonder if now is too late, considering the $200 historical max (now being 160)
Start shorting it LOL
Old 07-27-2009, 03:45 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by sdg1871' post='955157
Windows 7 is the way to go.
I actually hate windows 7. They better have the "classic" taskbar option.
But yeah, RTM is out, and I'm getting it August 6th. Although, we wont see any real support for it till October 22nd.

Originally Posted by acuteperformance' post='955233' date='Jul 27 2009, 01:47 AM
my issues w/ Apple

(1) runs on linux
Unix*

@BetterMakeWay: I'll get to you later. I have to shower. Keep working on the fan-boy speech tho <3 <3 <3
Old 07-27-2009, 04:39 AM
Contributors

a lot of my friends bought apples...they are over priced for what you get.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

It was nice that their shop did that for you. I personally still build all of my own (except laptops), so I can deal with cooling myself. It's certainly a big part of the equation.

I have been running Windows 7 for months now (32 bit on my netbook and 64 bit on my desktop), and I can tell you it is going to really shift the tide. Apple has had it really easy with Vista... but that period in their history is nearly over. I'm not saying Apple is in trouble or anything, but they're certainly going to have MUCH more competition from their competition.

Quick Reply: Why Apple rocks