Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Why are Americans still using the old imperial unit system?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 04:13 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

"A poor craftsman blames his tools" If you are not accurate in your measurements, then your data will be flawed....REGARDLESS of which specific system you use!! So Metrics don't lend themselves to MORE accurate measurements, just easier to express as it has fewer numbers. Now if the amount of numbers in an equation becomes TOO daunting, then by all means, translate them into Metrics for your peace (piece?)of mind. But don't try to explain away accuracy of measurements due to fewer numbers as valid, besides which, how many people here can even do ANY of this math in their heads, without a calculator anyway??? Speaking of overly simple!!
Old 07-29-2008, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by swajames' post='635445' date='Jul 29 2008, 05:18 PM
Because the converse is equally true. One imperial unit, or any whole number of imperial units, may equally translate to fractions of a metric unit.

When describing a constant measurement, is 1 inch any more or any less accurate than 25.4 millimeters? Or 0.0254 meters? Or 2.54?10[sup]-5[/sup] kilometers?
I may be missing something way more complex than I'm capable of comprehending but as I read this thread this morning, I was thinking the exact same thing as swajames...

Accuracy and precision are two different things, aren't they?
Old 07-29-2008, 07:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Because they can !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.............................. .
Old 07-30-2008, 12:16 AM
Senior Members

Well Rudy you've brought up some good points and where's what I've found out.

In the fields of science, engineering, industry and statistics, accuracy is the degree of conformity of a measured or calculated quantity to its actual (true) value. Accuracy is closely related to precision, also called reproducibility or repeatability, the degree to which further measurements or calculations show the same or similar results.
Looking at this in another way, a value of 8 would mean that the measurement has been made with a precision of '1' (the measuring instrument was able to measure only up to 1's place) whereas a value of 8.0 (though mathematically equal to 8) would mean that the value at the first decimal place was measured and was found to be zero. (The measuring instrument was able to measure the first decimal place.) The second value is more precise. Neither of the measured values may be accurate (the actual value could be 9.5 but measured inaccurately as 8 in both instances). Thus, accuracy can be said to be the 'correctness' of a measurement, while precision could be identified as the ability to resolve smaller differences.
source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accuracy_and_precision

So if i read this right then the metric system is more precise than the imperial system. However my question still remains: what happens when a metric value is converted to an imperial one and the result is periodic? Is the metrical value more "correct" than the imperial periodic number (presumably infinite?)
Old 07-30-2008, 12:23 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by flyingpuck' post='635547' date='Jul 30 2008, 03:13 AM
"A poor craftsman blames his tools" If you are not accurate in your measurements, then your data will be flawed....REGARDLESS of which specific system you use!! So Metrics don't lend themselves to MORE accurate measurements, just easier to express as it has fewer numbers. Now if the amount of numbers in an equation becomes TOO daunting, then by all means, translate them into Metrics for your peace (piece?)of mind. But don't try to explain away accuracy of measurements due to fewer numbers as valid, besides which, how many people here can even do ANY of this math in their heads, without a calculator anyway??? Speaking of overly simple!!
After reading the accuracy and precision article let me please rephrase what you said and correct me if I'm wrong.

If you are not precise in your measurements, then your data can be flawed....REGARDLESS of which specific system you use!! So Metrics don't necessarily lend themselves to MORE accurate measurements, but since they are more likely to record precisely then they are more likely to come closer to being more accurate (come closer to the actual true value).
Old 07-30-2008, 05:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='635792' date='Jul 30 2008, 01:16 AM
However my question still remains: what happens when a metric value is converted to an imperial one and the result is periodic? Is the metrical value more "correct" than the imperial periodic number (presumably infinite?)
BetterMakeWay, the question you pose is reasonable, but it can be asked in either direction. A conversion the other way round (if you were to start with an imperial measurement) is just as likely to result in a metric result which isn't a whole number (look at some examples in my earlier post).

If your theory holds good, it must logically be equally true for both systems. The only variable is whether you start with a metric measurement and try convert it to imperial, or the other way around.

At the end of the day, the only points I wanted to make is that each system is just as capable of precision and accuracy (by whatever definition) as the other, and that metric isn't necessarily better just because it's easier to use or more widely adopted.

We're clearly kind of flogging a dead horse now, but it's been a fun and interesting debate!
Old 07-30-2008, 05:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='635792' date='Jul 30 2008, 04:16 AM
So if i read this right then the metric system is more precise than the imperial system.
I'm not able to draw this conclusion after reading it so one of us isn't "reading it right"...
Old 07-30-2008, 12:18 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='635846' date='Jul 30 2008, 04:07 PM
BetterMakeWay, the question you pose is reasonable, but it can be asked in either direction. A conversion the other way round (if you were to start with an imperial measurement) is just as likely to result in a metric result which isn't a whole number (look at some examples in my earlier post).

If your theory holds good, it must logically be equally true for both systems. The only variable is whether you start with a metric measurement and try convert it to imperial, or the other way around.

At the end of the day, the only points I wanted to make is that each system is just as capable of precision and accuracy (by whatever definition) as the other, and that metric isn't necessarily better just because it's easier to use or more widely adopted.

We're clearly kind of flogging a dead horse now, but it's been a fun and interesting debate!
Yes i saw what you said about the other way around, and mathematically i think it's correct, except for the fact that in real life it may very well never happen. I mean why would anyone measure 2 inches in kms? Or meters? Both systems have pretty much proper measurements to cope with that length ex: feet, yards, miles, meters, kms.

While that would hardly happen or come in handy in real life, the other way around, for small units and micro sized measurements it is a must in human life. It's not like someone, for example, would want to ask you how many inches does it have to go from this gas station to the other, or the next train station.

Again while what you say is probably true, being just a case of variable, mathematically it may very well be just as relative but in real life it ain't gonna happen to soon. While measuring for example microprocessors transistors distance will have to be done in units less than mm like nm, no way in inches or grains. Just probably for the sake of precision, accuracy may very well be relative

Anyway i agree this has been an interesting debate and i'm glad i had something to learn from it.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:27 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: F10 535I
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by advancedlogic' post='633313' date='Jul 26 2008, 08:46 PM
. Hell, to us the very mention of the word 'kilo' can land your ass in jail!!!
LOLLLLLL True thou
Old 09-04-2012, 08:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

I was bored. Thought I'd Bump this Up to 2012 :-)

Quick Reply: Why are Americans still using the old imperial unit system?