Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

What's the dumbest thing you've done in/with your car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 05:06 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mother is quite the speed freak when it comes to driving, quite often hitting 100mph on the motorways of Britain where she lives (with it's 70mph speed limit). When it came to her trip to Germany we hit max speed in my Boxster on the Autobahn and she was loving it.

One time back in Britain I was taking her to the bingo and I thought I know what she'll like, why wouldn't she like this move, it'll be cool. So as we approached the entrance to the bingo, I did a hand-brake turn (Russ Swift style) and the car ended up perfectly aligned to the sidewalk (total fluke). She was shocked and stunned and there were about 30 people loitering outside that were all staring amazed at "this idiot" that just did that. She got some disapproving looks as she walked into the bingo and I got a good telling off when I picked her up later.

One of those dumb ideas that should be immediately dismissed but I did it and I guess this is the first (of twelve) step(s) in admitting I have a problem
Old 10-14-2009, 05:49 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Nice hahaha

Can't think of a dumb story right now
Old 10-14-2009, 06:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

haha.. i cant think either, but thats one cool mom you got there!
Old 10-14-2009, 10:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530d M Sport Automatic, Le Mans Edition.Le Mans Blue Individual Paint Special, Syrah Blue Individual Leather, Piano Black Individual Interior Trim, Front seat heating,M Double Spoke 172 19

Originally Posted by DD_545i' post='1032067' date='Oct 14 2009, 08:06 AM
My mother is quite the speed freak when it comes to driving, quite often hitting 100mph on the motorways of Britain where she lives (with it's 70mph speed limit). When it came to her trip to Germany we hit max speed in my Boxster on the Autobahn and she was loving it.

One time back in Britain I was taking her to the bingo and I thought I know what she'll like, why wouldn't she like this move, it'll be cool. So as we approached the entrance to the bingo, I did a hand-brake turn (Russ Swift style) and the car ended up perfectly aligned to the sidewalk (total fluke). She was shocked and stunned and there were about 30 people loitering outside that were all staring amazed at "this idiot" that just did that. She got some disapproving looks as she walked into the bingo and I got a good telling off when I picked her up later.

One of those dumb ideas that should be immediately dismissed but I did it and I guess this is the first (of twelve) step(s) in admitting I have a problem
Letting a dealer mechanic drive it.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

I bought a replacement gear lever for my 545 (OEM BMW with wood trim) and the dealer told me it was easy to remove the old one to replace it with the new part - I just needed to grab the existing lever and pull up.

It was a little harder to remove than I anticipated, so I pulled a bit harder. When the lever came loose, the net result was my elbow shooting up and banging into the rear view mirror.

And the net result of that was the unmistakable sound of whole host of cracks spidering all over my windshield...

So my bright idea to buy a $150 lever ended up requiring an $800 windshield, as I had the head up display in my car...
Old 10-14-2009, 11:07 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by swajames' post='1032284' date='Oct 14 2009, 03:02 PM
I bought a replacement gear lever for my 545 (OEM BMW with wood trim) and the dealer told me it was easy to remove the old one to replace it with the new part - I just needed to grab the existing lever and pull up.

It was a little harder to remove than I anticipated, so I pulled a bit harder. When the lever came loose, the net result was my elbow shooting up and banging into the rear view mirror.

And the net result of that was the unmistakable sound of whole host of cracks spidering all over my windshield...

So my bright idea to buy a $150 lever ended up requiring an $800 windshield, as I had the head up display in my car...
Oooh that sucks... But pretty entertaining
Old 10-14-2009, 11:17 AM
Contributors

I've got a crazy story but no time to tell it right now. Here's the result of what happened (to this rental car):

Old 10-14-2009, 11:40 AM
Contributors

Location: Milky Way, Earth, N. America, CA, San Jose, 95136, Latitude N 37� 16.837, Longitude W 121� 50.461
My Ride: 2004 530i | Sapphire Black | Sport | Premium | NAV | Logic 7 | DPE R07 Variant S Gloss Black with Polished Lip 20x8.5 front 20x10 rear | Falken FK452 tires 245/30/20 front 275/30/20 rear | H&R Coilovers | Smoked Tail Lights | M5 trunk spoiler | AC Schnitzer style roof spoiler | HID 8000K headlights & foglights | 35% tint all around | Sprint Booster | Speed Innovation ECU tuning | M5 trunk finisher | M-Tech body kit | Remus Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer style pedals | Euro Stickers | RPi Ram Air Induction | Smoked LED Side Lenses | AC Schnitzer style e-brake handle | AC Schnitzer style shifter | AC Schnitzer style iDrive knob | AC Schnitzer style carbon fiber diffuser | carbon fiber hood/trunk/steering emblems | carbon fiber grilles | carbon fiber door pillars | MTEC v2 Angel Eyes | Hamann style carbon fiber splitter

Originally Posted by swajames' post='1032284' date='Oct 14 2009, 12:02 PM

damn Steve.. you need to stop taking all those steroids!! haha!
Old 10-14-2009, 11:54 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by DD_545i' post='1032301' date='Oct 14 2009, 03:17 PM
I've got a crazy story but no time to tell it right now. Here's the result of what happened (to this rental car):
Snowboarding without the snow?
Old 10-14-2009, 01:02 PM
Senior Members

I collected me new to me E60 525D, one hour later i was sitting in my car at the petrol station awaiting a tow truck.

I had driven to the station to get fuel, I got there are couldnt get the fuel flap open. In my infinite wisdom i left the manual in the house, so i drove back to collect it. I went back to the station having had a look at the manual in the car, on the way there i was thinking wow this car is so quick and smooth you'd think it was a turbo petrol. So i then proceeded to start pumping some petrol in to my diesel car, I got to ?5 on the meter and realised. I checked with someone who works at the dealer and they advised a full drain and flush, I spoke to the breakdown guy and he said just fill with diesel and keep it above the 3/4 for the next couple of weeks or have it drained, i opted for the drain ?200 and a very red face later. Would be so bad but i had to sit in my car for about an hour waiting while people walked past laughing, and i was stuck at pump 1 because i couldnt start the car to move it.

New to me car ?12K, Petrol ?5, Complete drain ?200, putting petrol in a diesel less than an hour after you got it priceless.

Quick Reply: What's the dumbest thing you've done in/with your car?