Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

What do you say in court to fight a ticket?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 02:18 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Punk cop clocked me at 70 in a 50 zone today. 4 POINTS! I have to fight this one.. What do you guys say in court to fight it. I figured I'd ask for lienency (in my military uniform) and explain it was my wifes car and I never drive it, and that I didn't realize how fast I was going uphill... Think it will work?

Ironically, I have not seen any E60's in my area since I got my car. As I am sitting there, a white one rolls past.
Old 01-17-2005, 02:50 PM
Senior Members

:'( I didn't do it?
Old 01-17-2005, 03:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Melbourne Red X6M

Help I Got a Ticket

Check this site out. I used it a lot and I got out of 3 of my last 3 tickets. I don't know where you live but if you're in California, read the steps carefully. It explains that if you are going to fight it, you should always fight the ticket by mail first. If you lose, you are allowed a second trial in person. That way you have two chances on fighting the ticket. The first time and last time, the cop didn't show up at court so I automatically won. The second time, I won my ticket by mail. ( i took a lot of pictures with different angles and drew lots of diagrams)
Check it out, it might help you.

David
Old 01-17-2005, 04:12 PM
Members

My Ride: MY 2004 545i; April build; 6 speed; silver grey metalic; black leather; poplar; sport package; cold weather; active steering; xenons .

Originally Posted by Ruf930' date='Jan 17 2005, 07:18 PM
Punk cop clocked me at 70 in a 50 zone today.? 4 POINTS!? I have to fight this one.. What do you guys say in court to fight it.? I figured I'd ask for lienency (in my military uniform) and explain it was my wifes car and I never drive it, and that I didn't realize how fast I was going uphill...? Think it will work?

Ironically, I have not seen any E60's in my area since I got my car.? As I am sitting there, a white one rolls past.
[snapback]80177[/snapback]
Not guilty!!
Old 01-17-2005, 04:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

Some other tricks are:

After pleading not guilty and getting a trial date, postpone as many times as they will allow you and try to reschedule on a day of the week other than the day you were originally scheduled. The ticket writing officer will try to schedule all of his tickets on the same day, and often the same day of the week. If you poatpone many times and get a different day, the officer may not show up and you will be not guilty.

The other option is to plead not guilty and then seek out the prosecutor before your scheduled trial date. Offer to plead guilty to a no point or lower point offense (9 mph over posted speed). This will save you points/ fines/ insurance and clears a case with a guilty plea.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:02 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i 6-speed Orient Blue/Auburn

I did not have sexual relations with that woman Monika!

How about admitting your are guilty
Old 01-17-2005, 06:36 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i 6speed

I dont see in what state you reside, and that will make a difference.

In some states if you are 20 or more mph over the limit, you are no longer in traffic court and are scheduled for civil court.

Many states will allow a significant reduction in the final posted speed offense if you do not have a recent prior violation.

Acceptable "BS" when requesting leniency from the court is that of mechanical problems (speedometer problem, etc). I would agree with robg, your best bet at getting this thrown out is utilizing postponement tactics. The red tape and confusion may result in a lack of attendance by the ticketing officer (however, in some counties and states, their presence is not always required). The military uniform cant hurt. If you know somebody in an autoshop that can give you an invoice for speedometer repair and recalibration, you may get the citation reduced to less that 5 to 9 miles over the limit which may not accrue insurance points (again depending on your site of residence).
Old 01-17-2005, 06:37 PM
Senior Members

Gentlemen -

If you were speeding, you were speeding. Life is what it is. Speed better next time.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:23 PM
Members

I agree!!

However, as is the case with most guillty people I would say, lawyer up. A guy who does this all day, every day will know what to do. The cost is $125 in NYC and will be cheaper EVERYWHERE else in the world.

Originally Posted by Evenflow545' date='Jan 17 2005, 10:37 PM
Gentlemen -

If you were speeding, you were speeding.? Life is what it is.? ? Speed better next time.
[snapback]80244[/snapback]
Old 01-17-2005, 08:32 PM
Members

My Ride: COMING!! 2006 M5 - December build - January delivery. 2004 530i - Silver Gray Metallic; Black Leather; Premium Pkg; Premium Sound Pkg; Cold Weather Pkg; Steptronic; Comfort Seats; Glass Moonroof; Rear Side Airbags; Adaptive Bi-xenon; Euro Rear Reflectors - Delivered 12/3/03 2003 M3 - Carbon Black Metallic; Black Leather; Premium Pkg; Park Distance Control; Xenon; Hardon-Kardon; Alum Int. Trim; SMG - Delivered 2/17/03

Originally Posted by Gizmo' date='Jan 17 2005, 09:36 PM
I dont see in what state you reside, and that will make a difference.

In some states if you are 20 or more mph over the limit, you are no longer in traffic court and are scheduled for civil court.

Many states will allow a significant reduction in the final posted speed offense if you do not have a recent prior violation.

Acceptable "BS" when requesting leniency from the court is that of mechanical problems (speedometer problem, etc).? I would agree with robg, your best bet at getting this thrown out is utilizing postponement tactics. The red tape and confusion may result in a lack of attendance by the ticketing officer (however, in some counties and states, their presence is not always required). The military uniform cant hurt. If you know somebody in an autoshop that can give you an invoice for speedometer repair and recalibration, you may get the citation reduced to less that 5 to 9 miles over the limit which may not accrue insurance points (again depending on your site of residence).
[snapback]80242[/snapback]
The judges have heard every excuse known to man. When all else fails, hire a lawyer who specializes in traffic tickets. Better to spend the money on the lawyer than to pay the ticket - NO points involved!

Quick Reply: What do you say in court to fight a ticket?