Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Watches

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 02:20 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I made the leap and purchased a higher dollar watch (for me). I decided the Fossil didn't compliment my wardrobe anymore now that I am getting a little older.

I did a lot of research. I looked at Tag Heuer and Movado primarily, as they are quality Swiss timepeaces, but not as expensive as Rolex, Breitling or Patek Phillip.

I first purchased this watch online, then decided it might have been a mistake, so I bought it from the Movado store at Intl Plaza.

I didnt want another run of the mill Movado, so I opted for the Tungsten Carbide Fiero. I know the price is in Tag range, but I really love the Tungsten. It is polished to a mirror finish and scratch proof (It can be scratched by diamonds). I got it for a great price and I took the plunge. it retails for $3K, I got it for quite a bit less.

Any watch connoisseurs on here? what does everyone wear. I know this has been done, it has been a while. If anyone is like "not another one of these threads" I refer you to "what does everyone do for a living" Parts 1-587 besides, I wanted to share my new bling. Anyone have watched on their homeowners or renters insurance?

It is impossible to capture the brilliance of this bracelet and case, not even the movado website stock photo does it justice...

Old 11-09-2009, 03:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Congrats Craig, looks nice but we need to work on your photography skills!

Here is an old thread on watches...

https://5series.net/forums/index.php?showto...38&hl=rolex
Old 11-09-2009, 03:27 PM
Senior Members

My daily, if I'm not wearing my Coach one (also made by Movado).
Lizard skin, automatic, etc
Attached Thumbnails Watches-img_0251.jpg  
Old 11-09-2009, 03:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Nice bling Craig! I love movados, simple and elegant. Be careful tho T. Carbide is a tough metal, it's what my wedding ring is made of, but it's not scratch proof! It's highly scratch resistant. But a good fall will scratch the hell out of it. I have a pasha by Cartier. It's too small for me so I hardly wear it

if I had the money I'd get an omega moon watch or their James bond watch. I also like they're Michael phelps watch w/ the black face and orange hands... I'm stuck on omega right now
Old 11-09-2009, 03:34 PM
Contributors

Congrats. My first adult watch was a movado as well craig. that was 18 yrs ago. i was 20. Ive graduated to every brand you can think of. My latest addition is a Chopard Mille Miglia Power Control. Its a great hobby. Im sure this is your first of many to come

All the best
Old 11-09-2009, 03:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Craig, congrats on the new watch!

As you're progressing into the world of watches, I seriously recommend looking into getting a Breitling - I've had one since 2001 and it has been completely problem-free. Also, Longines is worth giving a look and Baume and Mercier. Panerai has some excellent pieces and high-quality movement.

I've forgotten it all by now, but there are only a handful of companies that make the movement in Switzerland, and there are watch companies that sell watches with the best (or almost the best) quality mechanism at "reasonable" prices - I'm sure that once you've done some research, you'll learn lots more than I can tell you But check out Breitlings - my personal favorite and reasonably-priced.

Some companies (I think Breitling is one of them, actually) manufacture most of their own mechanisms in-house and do an exceptional job at it - these can end up being serious collector's pieces down the road. Though I'm not very clear still on what makes a watch an "instant collectible". I did get me one of those solar Seiko watches though - it is inexpensive ($300) and has a novel mechanism that is the first of its kind - I just thought it is a small price to pay for something that might be worth 10-20 times the MSRP in a couple of decades.

PS Kerry, you a baller! :thumnbsup:
Old 11-09-2009, 04:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

My first was one I got in a Burger King Value Meal 30 years ago. I think I still have it. And nothing beats the calculator watch.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:47 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

That Movado is a beautiful piece. I love how the Movado convexes! I forgot where I put my Movado. It's an automatic Movado. Classic piece. Which Tag were u looking at?

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='1051184' date='Nov 9 2009, 08:08 PM
My first was one I got in a Burger King Value Meal 30 years ago. I think I still have it. And nothing beats the calculator watch.
We have the same watch though. Calton's got an excellent taste in watches and cars. Very like me! LOL

My Mini Decent Watch Collection

Left - Roger Dubuis Easy Diver Carbon Fiber Face 157/888 made - rarely wear it. I'm afraid to scratch it.
Middle - Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon Extra Glow - Not that comfy but looks nice. EXCELLENT for diving!!
Right - Rolex Explorer II Black Face - VERY VERY scratched up. Needs to be refinished. Love how simple it looks and does not look expensive. Perfect everyday watch.

Watches-2009_11_09_20.48.57.jpg
Old 11-09-2009, 05:19 PM
CCS
Members

My Ride: 2009 535XI

I love watches. Right now I have an Ice Bang, a Submariner, and a Carrera
Old 11-09-2009, 05:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Congrats Craig. Just like Kerry, my first adult watch was also a Movado (gold plated with a black face).

My current watch is a steel and 18K gold Cartier Santos. That watch is great for me because my wrist is small.

If money was no object, I'd have a solid gold Rolex Daytona with a black face. I need a few more of my own clients to afford that.

Quick Reply: Watches