Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Washington Mutual DEAD!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 07:05 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Black/BlacK

Anyone had stocks in WM ?
Old 09-25-2008, 07:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by nyceric03' post='678591' date='Sep 25 2008, 10:05 PM
Anyone had stocks in WM ?
Not I said the fly ... WaMu's been on a downward trend for sometime now.

Now, BofA

EDIT: JPMorgan Chase to buy WaMu
JPMorgan buys WaMu

In the biggest bank failure in history, JPMorgan Chase will acquire massive branch network and troubled assets from Washington Mutual for $1.9 billion.

By David Ellis and Jeanne Sahadi, CNNMoney.com staff writers
Last Updated: September 25, 2008: 11:02 PM ET

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- JPMorgan Chase acquired the banking assets of Washington Mutual late Thursday after the troubled thrift was seized by federal regulators, marking the biggest bank failure in the nation's history and the latest stunning development in the ongoing credit crisis.

Under the deal, JPMorgan Chase will acquire all the banking operations of WaMu, including $307 billion in assets and $188 billion in deposits.

In exchange, JPMorgan Chase (JPM, Fortune 500) will pay approximately $1.9 billion to the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation. Separately, JPMorgan announced plans to raise $8 billion in additional capital through the sale of stock as part of the deal.

The acquisition is JPMorgan Chase's second major purchase this year following the mid-March acquisition of investment bank Bear Stearns, a deal that was also engineered by the government.

"We think it is a great thing for our company," JPMorgan Chase Chairman and CEO Jamie Dimon said in a conference call with investors late Thursday night.

As a result of the acquisition, the New York City-based JPMorgan Chase will now boast some 5,400 branches in 23 states.

Federal regulators who helped shepherd the deal said the transition for WaMu customers would be "seamless."

"There will be no interruption in services and bank customers should expect business as usual come Friday morning," FDIC Chairman Sheila Bair said in a statement.

The FDIC was also quick to point out Thursday evening that the WaMu-JPMorgan Chase deal would not have any impact to its insurance fund which covers customer deposits when banks fail.

"WaMu's balance sheet and the payment paid by JPMorgan Chase allowed a transaction in which neither the uninsured depositors nor the insurance fund absorbed any losses," Bair said.

The FDIC insures the assets held by the 8,451 institutions with a total of $13.4 trillion.

WaMu had been one of the most hard-hit banks during the financial crisis after it bet big, like many of its competitors, on the strength of the housing market -- only to see its fortunes sour as housing prices fell.

Following ratings agency downgrades this week and a freefall in the company's stock, many analysts were speculating that the endgame for the embattled savings and loan was imminent.

WaMu (WM, Fortune 500) shares, which had finished 25% lower in Thursday trading, fell another 73% in after-hours trading on the news.

WaMu becomes the 13th bank to fail so far this year and earns the title of the nation's biggest bank failure by assets on record, ahead of Continental Illinois, which had about $40 billion in assets when it failed in May of 1984.

Part of the $307 billion in assets that JPMorgan Chase will absorb are WaMu's toxic subprime and option-ARM mortgages. JPMorgan Chase said it would recognize projected losses on the loan portfolio upfront by marking down the value of the loans by $31 billion.

The fall of WaMu is the latest turn in a dizzying two weeks that has seen the bankruptcy of Lehman Brothers, the acquisition of Merrill Lynch by Bank of America (BAC, Fortune 500) and the near collapse of insurance giant AIG (AIG, Fortune 500).

The Seattle-based thrift had put itself up for sale last week. Several other large institutions, including Wells Fargo (WFC, Fortune 500), Citigroup (C, Fortune 500) and HSBC (HBC), reportedly had pored over the company's books.

Earlier Thursday, reports surfaced that WaMu had approached private equity firms about a potential takeover of the firm.

The widening credit crisis has prompted President Bush to seek from Congress extraordinary authority to spend as much a $700 billion to bail out the nation's financial system by purchasing toxic assets from banks.

President Bush, in a televised address on Wednesday night, said the nation is in the middle of a "serious financial crisis" that threatens the economy. "The market is not functioning properly," Bush said. There is a widespread loss of confidence. America could slip into a financial panic."

First Published: September 25, 2008: 7:32 PM ET
http://money.cnn.com/2008/09/25/news/compa...sion=2008092519
Old 09-25-2008, 07:10 PM
Members

My Ride: 07 E64 M6 SS, Indy Red interior. Vorsteiner hood, Evo pulleys, RPI scoops, cf roundels, ASR Gen II exhaust. Dyno stock 465rwhp

They own my house thats about it thank God.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by m6ontheway' post='678594' date='Sep 25 2008, 11:10 PM
They own my house thats about it thank God.
You no longer have to pay your mortgage anymore, Rich. Yeah, WaMu said you are free and clear. Congrats!
Old 09-25-2008, 07:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

whoops.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:14 PM
Members

My Ride: 07 E64 M6 SS, Indy Red interior. Vorsteiner hood, Evo pulleys, RPI scoops, cf roundels, ASR Gen II exhaust. Dyno stock 465rwhp

Lol how I wish C!!
Old 09-25-2008, 07:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by m6ontheway' post='678597' date='Sep 25 2008, 10:14 PM
Lol how I wish C!!
Btw, looks like JPMorgan Chase now owns your house -well, maybe
Old 09-25-2008, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Old 09-25-2008, 07:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Black Saphire/Black Dakota Leather- Loaded- M5 Appearance Package, Sport Package, Pro logic 7 Premium Sound, Navigation, Cold Weather Package, Comfort Package, Heads-up Display, park Distance Control, Bluetooth, Active Steering, Electric Rear Sunshade, Rear Folding Seats, Front/Rear Heated Seats, Xenon lights, Satelite Radio- Extended Maintenance, CPO (Considering Tire/Wheel Insurance)

Outrageous activity going on...The Ultra high net worth will be SUPER DUPER Ultra High Net worth now...C, congrats!!
Old 09-25-2008, 07:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

WOO HOO! I'll not miss those commercials!! :thumbsdown:

Quick Reply: Washington Mutual DEAD!